It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fluid Jet May Have Caused Tunguska Explosion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2002 @ 08:59 PM
link   
www.spacedaily.com...

New Hypothesis Of The Tunguska Explosion

Novosibirsk - Sept 2, 2002
A geologist from Novosibirsk has set up a new hypothesis of the explosion in Podkamennaya Tunguska, which took place on June 30, 1908. It was not a meteorite that caused such extensive destructions and conflagration, but a fluid jet, which had shot up under high pressure from the interior of the Earth.
The event which occurred almost a hundred years ago in Podkamennaya Tunguska has drawn scientists' attention again.

What actually exploded at that time in the remote taiga, the power of explosion being equal to the 50-megaton H-bomb?

The hypothesis that it was a meteorite or any other extraterrestrial object has not quite satisfied inquisitive minds, since too many puzzles remain unsolved. A geologist Vladimir Epifanov, Siberian Research Institute of Geology, Geophysics and Mineral, reported to the recent Conference "Degasification of the Earthe" (Moscow) that the reason for the explosion could have been a powerful fluid jet suddenly shot up from the depth of the planet.

Extensive carbohydrates accumulations exist in the area where the alleged 'Tunguska meteorite' fell down. Two abyssal breaks in this area split the sedimentary rock containing the gas-and-oil fields and gas-condensate fields sealed up by basalts on top, the basalts streamed from multiple fissures and volcanoes 200 million years ago. The epicentre of the explosion is located just above one of the ancient craters. The scientist assumes that the gases associated with the oil deposits, and methane produced in the depths of coal beds were accumulated under a thick cover of basalts and then they broke free one day. It seems that a moderate earthquake could have promoted the process.

The gas kick started nine days prior to the major explosion, a narrow jet of gases rushed up southbound. The fluid jet from under the earth was accompanied by dust, and the wind carried the dust to the west. In the upper layers of atmosphere a layer of aerosols was formed. This layer charged with electricity could have produced the fatal 'sparkle'. It put on fire the top of the liquid jet, and the fire ball rushed towards the Earth. In the oxygen saturated layer of atmosphere the fire ball exploded, the blast wave stirred up the ground, and the gas discharge ceased.

The conflagration was in full swing in the area of explosion, however the trees in the epicentre remained alive. An ice dome was probably formed around the place where from the gas discharged, similar to that as it gets formed in a refrigerator when the gas goes through a narrow opening and then gets into a large chamber. It is interesting to note that the local carbohydrates are rich in helium, which could have ensured the H-bomb effect.

Vladimir Epifanov is perplexed by some circumstances of the Tunguska catastrophe, the extraterrestrial hypothesis being unable to account for them. For instance, not all the trees in the epicentre got burned. Judging by the strength of the blast wave, radiation burn, pine-tree mutations and other parameters, the event resembles the H-bomb explosion, except for high radiation.

The motion path of the exploded body is such that it could hardly be a spaceship or a meteorite, the substance of which has never been found in the soil. All these facts have made the scientist think about an earthly nature of the explosion, particularly because such conjectures were made more than once by researchers in different years. Thus, in the middle of the 80s A.A. Rastegin, geologist from Novosibirsk, pointed out that the epicentre of the explosion was indeed located above a major gas accumulation.

[Edited on 9-4-2002 by William One Sac]

posted on Sep, 3 2002 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Bah! I say it's a cover up! It was either an h-bomb test or something else. Possibly an alien craft. Just look at how the people who witnessed the event say the thing moved. Can those researcher's account for how a liquid jet ball thingy can move like that?

posted on Sep, 4 2002 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I saw a show on Discovery channel or N.Geo which showed a series of experiments conducted by Russian scientists. What they did was do a scale test of the explosion. This was conducted in an explosive chamber, where the trees were little wire strands.
Ok, now simulating the trajectory, speed and explosion a butterfly pattern was formed exactly the same as found in Tunguska. It did take them many attempts to duplicate this changing all the variables, it was quite convincing.
As for the liquid stream explosion, I think it is highly unlikely, if it was that volotile it would have detonated as soon as the fuel/air mix was right. This wouldn't have taken days but more probably hours.
Also since when does helium burn in a conventional environment.Never.

posted on Sep, 4 2002 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I'm with Mad Scientist on this one - that's far less plausible than the meteorite.

posted on Sep, 4 2002 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Good theory. But not in this case. Something have been seen in the sky.

Peoples from all around europe saw it. London, Paris, Berlin...That's why it was probably a "meteorit". I say " probably", coz it was moving in the sky. This
" meteorit " was acting like " something " who tryed to fall in a desertic area. In others words, a spaceship in difficulty who don't want to hit a town or a city, but want to crash in a desert area.

And if you know that your crash can cause a 50 megatons explosion, the only place in europe, to avoid a mass destruction,even by this era, it was Siberia.

[Edited on 4-9-2002 by ultra_phoenix]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I dont think so. Where is the crater of the gushing fluid? The ground zero resembled Hiroshima (i.e. trees burnt yet standing) indicating high pressure, high altitute explosion of some sort.

Your theory would have produced fluid stream, which would have produced some sort of a flow trek? So I think blast of some kind did take place

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Interesting theory, but I really don't understand why it would be called a fluid jet if it is a gas? If just a simple buildup then release of gas - then I would agree as an armchair quarterback.

I too watched a recent discovery channel program that showed video footage of some guy that was trying to prove it was a meteorite, but he could never find one small bit of evidence to prove his theory.

What was most interesting to me was that area that he searched was covered by some kind of bogs. Clearly there was thick layer of decaying organic material over small bodies of water all over the area which they were carefully walking on & searching in.

The first thing I thought of when seeing that footage of the bogs was a build up of gas, released over a period of time until such time was ripe for an ignition from a lighting strike or human caused.

[edit on 30-1-2008 by verylowfrequency]

top topics

join