It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Global Arms - Trafficking Network Designated by US (Update: Viktor Bout Extradited)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Cypher

Here's some good news. Or at least for me, as I didn't see it until now. It's from yesterday. Russia will not seek for Bout's extradition to Russia.

Interfax: Russia will not seek Bout's extradition from Thailand - source (Part 2)

15:14 GMT, Mar 11, 2008

Russian authorities will not seek businessman Viktor Bout's extradition from Thailand, where he was recently detained on suspicion of arms trafficking.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I think it's good news as well that Russia isn't going to try for extradition, but I am quite frankly very surprised by it.

I was under the impression that Bout was believed to have had numerous contacts within the Russian security services. And while the central government of Russia may not be the all powerful force it once was, I can't imagine that a man like Bout could have done his work without the tacit support of Putin and his cronies. I'm sure that if this were true it would be very interesting to American intelligence.

Not only that, but the work Bout has done on the behalf of the American government should be pretty interesting to Russian intelligence as well and he probably could have been expected to divulge all of that info on a quid pro quo basis if they had managed to save his behind.

So considering these points, I can't see what Russia would have had to lose by trying for extradition. Thus their decision to not throw their hand in kind of puzzles me.

-Cypher

P.S. Have you heard, is Belgium considering or attempting to extradite Bout as well to answer the money laundering charges they indicted him on or have they stepped aside to let the Americans or Thais prosecute him?

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Remember the FARC/Mogilevich link to Romania from the previous page? The meeting in mid-January. Well, here's a Viktor Bout/Romania link as well (+ Syria).

Hayssam reportedly linked to weapon dealer Bout

2008-03-13

Weapon dealer Viktor Bout, arrested recently in Thailand, had ties with Syrian Omar Hayssam, who was sentenced by a Romanian court to 20 years in prison for acts of terrorism for orchestrating the kidnapping of three Romanian journalists in Iraq in 2005. Hayssam is currently sought internationally as he fled the country pending trial in June 2006.

The lead in the Bout case appeared while Romanian prosecutors were investigating Hayssam’s involvement in weapon dealing, Realitatea TV reported.

Syria... this reminds me of the recent Israeli bomb raid in Syria at a supposed "nuclear facility". Maybe they wanted to play with suitcase nuke(s) like Kim (imo) did in North Korea? I've heard there were North Korean technicians at this Syrian facility when it was bombed by Israel.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Russia is going to extradite a former Israeli army officer, Yair Klein, to Colombia.

The Moscow Times: Israeli Arms Suspect Loses Extradition Appeal

March 13, 2008

A Moscow court has ordered the extradition of a controversial Israeli businessman and former army officer to Colombia, where he faces a jail sentence for training right-wing paramilitary forces.

[---]

In 1991, an Israeli court convicted and fined him for selling arms to Colombian paramilitary forces, and he has also spent 16 months in a Sierra Leone jail over his involvement in a guns-for-diamonds deal.

The ruling to extradite Klein comes just days after Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout, who is accused of attempting to supply arms to Colombia's left-wing FARC guerrillas, was detained in Thailand as part of a sting operation.

[---]

"He is the most wanted man in Colombia."

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Again, I feel I have to post on how intriguing I find this story to be. I'm not seeing the whole picture yet, but it seems to me that this may just be the beginning of one of those truly great ATS moments that give true insight to the secretive world of intelligence agencies, back room arms deals, government black ops and the interconnectedness of the world's "military industrial complex."

Viktor Bout by the very nature of having had so many connections to the movers and shakers of the world, and a hand in almost every armed conflict in recent history is a wealth of information and the investigation into the story of his operations and arrest may give us a window on to that shadowy world.

The last few days, I've been voraciously devouring any info I can get on this story and it's various tentacles that reach into so many parts of the world. Should I come up with any interesting tidbits and or theories I'll be sure to share them.

Special thanks go again to Hellmutt for the amazing work you've done on this story. I hope others have applauded you, but I for one give you a resounding standing ovation!

This people, is what ATS is all about.

-Cypher

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Latest From The Charles Taylor Trial

Charles Taylor ordered his soldiers to eat UN peacekeepers for lunch.

BBC: Taylor 'made rebels eat enemies'

13 March 2008

Joseph "Zigzag" Marzah said Mr Taylor had instructed his fighters in Liberia to even eat UN peacekeepers to "set an example for the people to be afraid".

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Russia is trying to get Viktor Bout released...

Washington Times: Inside the Ring

March 14, 2008

U.S. intelligence and counterterrorism officials say Russia's government is quietly seeking State Department help in pressuring Thailand authorities into releasing arms dealer Victor Bout from custody.

Douglas Farah: Russia Seeking Bout's Release

According to my sources, confirmed by Bill Gertz in the Washington Times, Russia is actively seeking to get the State Department to help spring Viktor Bout from his Thai prison home.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
A large number of companions

According to Bangkok Post, Viktor Bout has not felt lonely in prison.

Photo: AP Photo/David Longstreath

Bangkok Post: Russian undertight security

March 18, 2008

Viktor Bout, known as the ''Merchant of Death'', has not felt lonely since his arrival and arrest in Thailand earlier this month. Inside or outside bars, the Russian arms dealer always has a large number of companions with him.

[---]

A group of specially selected prisoners were also sent in to spy on him.

These officials and his fellow inmates have also been given the job of preventing Mr Bout from committing suicide.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
But he'll be out of prison soon. The question is where? Russia or US?

Same link as above

However, Mr Bout will not be detained in Klong Prem prison much longer as he will be extradited soon, said the department chief.

Moscow and Washington are competing to extradite Mr Bout.

Since his arrest, Mr Bout has maintained his innocence. His Thai lawyer Lak Nitiwattanawijarn, appointed by the Russian government, also insisted his client was not a transnational arms dealer.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Accusations are blahblahblah

The accusations against Viktor bout are based on nothing but "blahblahblah", according to Viktor Bout's lawyer...

Asia Times Online: Guns? Not me says Viktor Bout

Mar 19, 2008

The US Drug Enforcement Agency's attempt to extradite a Russian, Viktor Bout, to America for alleged terrorism is not supported by evidence and is based on "blah blah blah", according to his lawyer.

[---]

"We don't consider him doing something wrong in relation to the United States of America," Yan said, challenging US jurisdiction to extradite the Russian from Southeast Asia. "He does not consider himself to be guilty of any legal action, neither in Thailand nor anywhere else in the world."

He apparently didn't do anything wrong, anywhere in the world, ever...

The DEA's allegations against Bout have not been proven, Yan said. "In accordance to my opinion, today, to what I see, it looks more like, you know, a little bit of 'blah blah blah', just like that," the Russian-based lawyer said. "It has to be supported with the proper evidence ... there are allegations, that's it. It is very unclear," Yan said.

[edit on 2008/3/18 by Hellmutt]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
This is an interesting read.

Viktor Bout's Last Deal

March 18, 2008

How an elite DEA unit brought down the world's most notorious arms dealer.

By Bruce Falconer

Click to read. Note: There are three pages.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Viktor Bout and Mogilevich were "sacrificed" by the FSB?

CFP: Did the FSB Betray Victor Bout?

March 20, 2008

According to the Polish TV reporter Witold Gadowski, one of the high-positioned protectors of Victor Bout in the Putin’s Kremlin was Igor Ivanovich Sechin, known as an opponent of the new President of Russia, Dmitry Medvedev.

[---]

“Officially, Bout fell into a trap arranged by American special services. But in fact he had been “pointed for a shot” in Thailand by the FSB [the Russian Security Service].

[---]

Somebody in the Kremlin has decided to wind up a protective umbrella over the most wanted international criminals. Mogilevich and Bout, used before in many actions, became useless ballast to the new ‘tsarevich’ – Medvedev.”

Enter Medvedev. Exit Mogilevich & Viktor Bout. Is Igor Smirnov next?

Oh, and Poland paid gas money to Mogilevich too.

The report stirred big waves in Poland, because it proved that the Polish Government was paying for the imports of Russian natural gas not directly to its producer, GAZPROM, but to an intermediary co-owned by the Russian mafia and “The Brainy Don”, Semyon Mogilevich.