It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Global Arms - Trafficking Network Designated by US (Update: Viktor Bout Extradited)

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Viktor Bout was in court yesterday. Searching mainstream media for this finds only RussiaToday and two Thai sources (Thai source 1 and Thai source 2). MSM either don't care, they've been silenced or they don't want us to know. RussiaToday managed to do an interview with VB in jail, using a hidden camera, according to Viktor Bout's official website.

Using hidden camera a reporter for Russia Today was able to tape an interview with Victor Bout in jail.

Merchant of Death - Thai prison interview

There's a lot of blahblahblah at first and VB doesn't speak until at 3:45 into the video. Horrible sound quality. He's criticising Douglas Farah (among others) in that interview.

Next hearing is set for December 22

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

Next hearing is set for December 22

I wonder whether the MSM are going to mention anything today or not...

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I've found one...

'Merchant of Death' arms dealer Viktor Bout faces court - Times Online

December 22, 2008

Viktor Bout, the notorious alleged arms dealer, appeared in a Thai court today to fight extradition to the US.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
BBC...

BBC: Arms suspect testifies in Bangkok

22 December 2008

His lawyer argues that Mr Bout would not receive a fair trial in the US, where officials say he supplied arms to dictators, al-Qaeda and the Taleban.

The man dubbed the "Merchant of Death" is being held in a maximum security prison outside Bangkok.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
VB said he was framed by the US to damage Thailand's relations with Russia.

Financial Times: Russian arms suspect claims US framed him

December 22 2008

A suspected Russian arms dealer appeared in a Thai court on Monday, shackled and wearing an orange prison jump suit, and claimed he had been framed by the US to damage Russia’s relations with Thailand.

[---]

According to Agence France-Presse, Mr Bout told the court: “I was framed.”

He added: “I have done no crime, I have done no terrorist act. They have framed me because the US does not want relations between Thailand and Russia to develop more.”

VB flashed the victory sign in the courtroom?

FOXNews.com: 'Merchant of Death' Fights Extradition to U.S. in Thai Court

"The U.S. is trying to use this to cover up its internal problems and prevent good relations between Thailand and Russia," Bout said.

At one point, Bout held up two fingers and flashed the victory sign to an acquaintance in the courtroom.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Ho Ho Ho

VB remains in custody. Two key witnesses failed to show up in court. Next extradition hearing is set for March 6 2009.

Thai court adjourns 'Merchant of Death' hearing

24 December 2008

The presiding judge at Bangkok's Criminal Court rescheduled Bout's next extradition hearing to March 6 after two defence witnesses failed to turn up.

MSNBC: Bout will remain in custody in Thailand

Dec. 23, 2008

Lawyers for Bout, 41, requested the delay after two witnesses they described as high-level Thai navy officers could not appear because they were sick.

Bout, who will remain in a Bangkok prison, showed no emotion when the new date was set. His mother, who was in the court with his wife, began crying.

For some reason, I get this picture in my head. VB in prison, dressed up like Santa Claus...

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
It's too easy to stall this extradition process. Change lawyers, lawyers "sick", defence witnesses are also "sick", etc. I bet that if some witnesses from the other side fails to show up, or some lawyers from the other side gets sick, they would probably continue the hearing anyway, and might even decide to set him free. I'm not sure, but it sounds too easy. How long can they stall it?

can I get a witness? can? I get? a witness?!

And then, guess what? His latest lawyer requested that the court adjourn after two of his witnesses failed to show up. They’re admirals in the Thai navy! Sure! But they’re…sick. Yes, terribly sick. Look! An earthquake! So the hearing was put off until the 6th of March, by which time he will probably have decided he needs to change his legal representation again.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Hmmm. Something interesting here...

covering the story: a glimpse of the press in action

Quite suddenly, some time in the early summer of 2005, I was contacted by a CBS Correspondent, regarding the Viktor Bout-to-Iraq issue.

[---]

A top CBS was summoned; I hauled in a box of docs on the train and the tube and my desk, as well as all the digital. Unlike MI6, I didn’t lose them. He came supposedly direct from Iraq, with photos of various aircraft at Baghdad Airport. I identified them, wondering what the point was - there were plenty of VB jets photographed there?

There was a brief period of expectancy, before the correspondent eventually called back to say that after the Rather/Kerning Krisis they couldn’t do anything like it, for political reasons. Perhaps they needed a signed statement from Viktor? I had a similar experience with the pre-Murdoch Wall Street Journal, without the lunch. Now, it all makes much more sense.

Political reasons...

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Congress Moves to Keep the Pressure on for VB's Extradition

A bipartisan group of Congressmen want the new administration to keep the pressure on for VB's extradition from Thailand. They've sent a letter to Clinton and asked that Viktor Bout’s extradition remain a top priority.

Douglas Farah: Congress Moves to Keep the Pressure on for Bout's Extradition

Feb 12 2009

A large, bipartisan group of Congressmen, led by Rep. Ed Royce (R-CA) is seeking to insure the the extradition of Viktor “Merchant of Death” Bout from Thailand remains a high priority for the incoming administration.

In a letter to new AG Holder and Secretary of State Clinton signed by 27 House members, the group asked that Bout’s extradition “remain a top priority for your departments and the United States government.”

[---]

The Russian government, through public and private means, have been working overtime to insure its favorite weapons dealer-who often in recent years operated under Russian government protection-is not extradited, but gets a free pass back to Moscow.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Douglas Farah interviewed on The Daily Show. He's talking about Viktor Bout.

Video

The Daily Show’s Jon Stewart interviews Douglas Farah, a co-author of the book “Merchant of Death: Money, Guns, Planes, and the Man Who Makes War Possible” about the gunrunner and transportation/logistics mercenary Victor Bout.

Btw, the next Viktor Bout hearing in Thailand is scheduled on Friday (March 6).

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Sick VB Witnesses

This time Viktor Bout's wife was "sick" and could not testify. Next hearing is on Monday, March 9. The judge said that if any more defence witnesses are sick on Monday, the court will not wait.

Thai court defers "Merchant of Death" decision

Alleged Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout said the United States had no proof linking him to weapons sales to Colombian rebels, as a Thai court adjourned an extradition hearing because his wife was to too ill to testify.

Bout's wife was at the court on Friday but said she was sick, prompting the presiding judge to show frustration at the repeated delays.

"If the defence cannot produce the witness at the next hearing, the court will not wait," the judge said, setting the hearing for Monday, March 9.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Viktor Bout while being led back to his cell, shouted that he wants to see the evidence of him being the biggest arms dealer...

Alleged arms smuggler says US framed him

15 hours ago

Waving his hands and shouting, Viktor Bout described himself as a hapless victim who has been forced to endure for the past year "extremely inhumane" conditions in a Thai prison as he waits to hear whether he will be sent to the United States.

"What about human rights? What about presumption of innocence? What about rule of law?" Bout, 41, yelled before he was led from a holding cell to a hearing on the extradition request.

"If I am the biggest arms dealer, where is the proof?" he shouted.

I guess they will show him the proof in US court? If the prison in Thailand is so bad, why does he stall the process? He could have been in a cozy cell somewhere in the US by now. If there is no evidence, the US court will let him go free?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Today is the day. Will Viktor Bout go free or are they going to send him to the US? Look out for any news on this.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Not much happened. The next two (and last?) hearings will be on March 17 and 18. The Thai foreign ministry has been asked by the court to make a statement at the next hearing.

Thai judge to end "Merchant of Death" hearing soon

The judge at Bangkok's Criminal Court complained about the defense's continued failure to produce witnesses.

"Looking at the list of witnesses, we shouldn't use up all this much time. It looks inappropriate," the judge said.

[---]

One of Bout's lawyers argued on Monday that his client had been illegally detained by Thai and American officials.

He was the only person to speak before the judge adjourned the case, saying the next two hearings would be on March 17 and 18, after which he may set a date for his verdict.

Court asks FM to issue statement about Bout

"I will invite the foreign ministry to make a statement on this case at the next hearing," the presiding judge said.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

This guy can move around military equipment in a way not usually available to anything but sovereign nations! Quite scary.

Well then he is obviously pulling for someone.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Here's a video report from NTDTV.

Viktor Bout Extradition Hearing

March 09, 2009

Today's top story...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

victor bout was hired by the bush administration to manage the delivery of supplies in iraq to us bases when kellog couldnt do it due to the hostile nature of the roads.

he was also hired for other missions,i expect the bush admin arm to get away scott free whilst everyone else to be damned.

it was actually us agencies who brought him down showing the split in us power,the good and the bad which are the exceedingly wealthy.

i actually read about this a year ago in far more detail in a newspaper magazine,was a stunning read showing the corruption which exists on all levels,that man has killed 10 of millions of people and doesnt blink an eye.

its also evident he was backed by power players in russia,or rather he was the front man for those power players whos identity will never be known.
they are the real criminals,he a lacky for them.

[edit on 10-3-2009 by welivefortheson]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

So who is the biggest arms dealer and war profiteer?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Ownification

Viktor Bout is probably the biggest "non-state" weapons dealer. Not only AK47s for armies of i.e. child soldiers in Africa and Afghanistan, but also advanced anti-aircraft systems, and even tanks and helicopters. A gigantic amount of weapons. And not only the weapons, but he's also able to deliver anywhere in the world. An all-in-one service. He made wars possible. Nuclear or radioactive materials too? That would be speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me. He had access to everything, and there are lots of potentional buyers. If you've seen the interview with Alexander Lebed on 60 Minutes, you could hear Lebed say that there might be more than 100 suitcase nukes missing from Tiraspol. Where are they now? Viktor Bout's language skills, contact network, fleet of planes and other resources, made him number one in the business. Not many other arms dealers can compete with that (anyone at all?). Btw, these weapons didn't just come from Soviet stockpiles, but also as brand new sophisticated weapons from factories in different countries. I bet those who control these factories make a lot of money too. It will be hard for them to replace a guy like VB.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I'm not even worried about complete nuclear devices - just the material is enough for something destructive. This guy HAD to be supported by either Russia or the US or BOTH.

I'm sure there is someone else out there right now picking up where he left off..

[edit on 10-3-2009 by ACEMANN]

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join