It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Global Arms - Trafficking Network Designated by US (Update: Viktor Bout Extradited)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
The Russians Are Scared

The Russians are apparently VERY afraid of the possibillity of Bout standing trial. They've i.e. offered the Thai's special weapon deals (incl. fighter jets) and also oil and gas in exchange for Bout.

Douglas Farah: Viktor Bout is Apparently Worth Quite a Lot to the Russians

Jun 3

My sources tell me the Russian ambassador in Thailand has met several times with the Thai prime minister, and has offered sweet heart deals on weapons systems, including fighter jets, in exchange for Bout.

In addition, the Russians are offering sweet heart gas and oil deals to sweeten the pot, which is a significant offer given the current market price of these fuels.

The question is, why would Bout be so valuable to the Russians, and what is it that they fear he could or would say in a court?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
It is very strange, I skim the two English Thai papers daily and I haven't seen one word on Bout since his arrest. But of course in Thailand you cannot write what you want.

Though the goodies that's being offered would be worth reporting for an unpopular government like Samak's. If it was, some sympathy would definately be gain in a hard tried populace.

However for reasons unknown it isn't.

What about the Americans? Not interested, uhh..?

Also I am sure a golden egg like Bout gets special treatment in prison with catering and pleasures provided to his desire. So maybe there's no rush.

Thais are infamous for squeezing the lemon dry.

[edit gramah]

[edit on 5/6/2008 by khunmoon]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

I haven't seen one word on Bout since his arrest. But of course in Thailand you cannot write what you want.

Interesting...

I wonder whether they'll end up sending Bout to the US or to Russia? To whoever pays the most perhaps? I suspect some Americans would also put some extra money on the table for Bout to be sent to Russia...

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Viktor Bout faces extradition hearings on July 28.

US attorney general 'optimistic' of Russian arms dealer extradition

Jun 11

Bout, known as the "Merchant of Death" for his alleged role in fuelling some of the world's bloodiest conflicts with weapons, faces extradition hearings on July 28 after being captured by US and Thai agents in Bangkok on March 6.

"The case for extradition is very strong," Mukasey told reporters in Bangkok. "I'm very optimistic that the proper course will be followed and Viktor Bout will be extradited."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Monzar al-Kassar Extradited to the US

Monzar al-Kassar was extradited to the US today. He was arrested in a DEA sting operation in June 2007, where he thought he was selling arms to FARC. Just like Bout.

Douglas Farah: Monzar al Kassar, The Prince of Marbella, Extradited to the United States

Jun 13

Al-Kassar was arrested in a DEA operation in June 2007 The operation was then largely replicated for the arrest of Viktor Bout earlier this year.

Al-Kassar, like Bout, had many friends in high places, and had worked for different governments, including that of the United States, when he was involved in the Iran-Contra affair.

[---]

As the London Observer noted:

The litany of allegations against him, even aside from his links to Abu Abbas, is jaw-dropping.

[---]

Like the Bout operation, the DEA set up a sting operation that led al-Kassar to believe he was selling weapons to the FARC in Colombia. According to the indictment in New York, al-Kassar not only agreed to sell assault rifles, RPGs and sniper rifles to the FARC with the express aim of killing Americans, he also volunteered to provide surface-to-air missles, which the sting operators had not even put on the list.

Read the full version here...

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Bout's lawyer says Viktor is unlikely to be extradited to the US. He also said "I do not share the optimism of the respected U.S. attorney general"...

RIA Novosti: 'Merchant of Death' defense says no extradition to U.S.

June 11

A lawyer for an alleged Russian arms dealer in custody in Thailand on suspicion of illegal arms trading and other crimes, said Wednesday his client is unlikely to be extradited to the United States.

[---]

Earlier a Thai court postponed until July 28 the first hearing of Viktor Bout's extradition case as Bout's Thai lawyer had developed "a heart problem."

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Nukes

Are blueprints for an advanced nuclear weapon in the wrong hands?

Douglas Farah: The Nuclear Network

Jun 16

There were several reports, led by the Washington Post, on the rogue international smuggling network that managed to acquire blueprints for an advanced nuclear weapon.

No one knows where those blueprints were sold, or to whom. My sources in the intelligence community have suspected for several years that the network of senior Russian officials operating the criminal enterprise that Viktor Bout was a part of, had gotten ahold of at least two copies of the plans.

[---]

The plans were found in the computer of a family of Swiss businessmen, and now destroyed by the IAEA to keep them from falling into terrorist hands. But there is no way to tell how many times the plans may have been copied and distributed.

My IC sources told me last year they suspected 10 copies of the plans-two in the hands of Bout and 8 in the hands of other parties unknown-had disappeared.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Two Transport Aircrafts

Viktor Bout says he thought the DEA agents were interested in buying two transport planes. Then they suddenly "started talking about surface-to-air missiles, and the room was raided"...

Crookwell Gazette: Chill sets in over US arms sting

16/06/2008

"I thought they were interested in buying two transport aircraft," he says. "But then the agents started talking about surface-to-air missiles, and the room was raided, by the Americans."

Bout also denied that he was ever involved in illegal arms trafficking. "I used to run an air transport company. Perhaps there were guns on board, but I was only a transporter.

[---]

Thailand will inadvertently be seen as choosing between the US or Russia, even if the court's final decision is based solely on the legal standing of the case.

"Perhaps there were guns on board, but I was only a transporter"...

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Here's a CNN report from when Viktor Bout was arrested.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Viktor Bout's official website!

Here's Viktor Bout's official website. It's under construction...

Viktor Bout's official website

This site will provide you with information, details, and all the facts the world's governments wanted to suppress about the Victor Bout story

[---]

Stay tuned, for the facts that shall change the way you see the world...

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Flowers...

A cargo plane has crashed in Colombia. It was carrying "flowers". A father and son died when their house got hit by the Jumbo. The plane's crew survived!

Embedding was disabled. YouTube link here

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Here are some pictures from the Colombian plane crash scene.

The plane is upsidedown!

WILLIAM FERNANDO MARTINEZ/AP PHOTO

Highly explosive flowers...

WILLIAM FERNANDO MARTINEZ/AP PHOTO

edit: credit photos

[edit on 2008/7/8 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The ViktorFeed

Where are Viktor Bout's planes now?

T.Y.R.: Aaaand....we're operational

July 10, 2008

The ViktorFeed is now operational! The map's permanent link is here (aren't Google URLs snappy?); the raw data is available as an RSS 2.0 feed with Simple GeoRSS tags here, at least until I decide on a permanent URL. It is updated every 5 minutes.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Some interesting words from a blogger on Viktor Bout.

Isegoria: Quartermaster to the Barbarians

July 01, 2008

There is some speculation that one reason Bout has evaded capture is the complicit help of certain highly placed parties in the US and EU who would be embarrassed by revelations from Bout concerning their dealings with him.

[---]

I hope that the US manages to extradite and prosecute Bout, but the real question for me is what becomes of his empire? His older brother Sergei is nowhere near the logistics expert that Viktor has shown himself to be. Hopefully Bout’s network will fall into far less competent hands and slowly rust away. However, I can not help but suspect that Medvedev has someone else in mind to take the title of World’s Greatest Merchant of Death. If so, the threat to civilization from fourth generation warfare will continue to grow.

Click here to read the full version

Btw, Mogilevich might have been released yesterday! But I haven't found out whether he was released or not. I wonder why there's nothing about this in any mainstream media? There's only those articles from The Moscow Times and ITAR-TASS on July 9 and 10, hinting on his custody ending on July 16, because the Moscow city court cancelled a ruling for an extension of his arrest. I bet someone was bribed...

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Who will take over the market when Viktor Bout is out of the picture?

Ex-congressman finds second career as international arms trader

With "merchant of death" Viktor Bout out of the picture, who will step in to keep the international arms trade humming? How about an ex-U.S. congressman?

[---]

Companies like Defense Solutions allow the U.S. government to circumvent regulations by contracting with an American company, which then buys arms from Eastern European countries to deliver to Iraq. The company is also planning deals with sketchier customers like the blacklisted Russian company Rosoboronexport and the government of Libya, which is still under a US arms embargo. And Weldon isn't the only Washington insider with links to the trade.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Kathi Austin

Some interesting read. She's been hunting Viktor Bout for over 15 years.

Hunting the lord of war

July 23, 2008

SF-based investigator Kathi Austin helped expose a notorious arms dealer and awaken the world to a key human rights struggle

[---]

But the work Austin did to penetrate that shell and expose Bout was so notable and dramatic that Paramount Pictures announced in December 2007 that superstar Angelina Jolie would play her in a drama inspired by Bout's infamous career.

[---]

Austin fearlessly penetrated the militia encampments, persuading exiled Hutu military leaders to disclose how they had obtained antitank grenades and high-caliber ammunition. The list included Col. Théoneste Bagosora, considered to be a chief architect of the genocide.

Click the link to read the whole thing...

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
A hearing on Bout's extradition is scheduled for July 28. President Bush will be in Thailand in early August.

Douglas Farah: Congressional Pressure to Pursue Bout's Extradition

Jul 25

A bipartisan group of 35 legislators, led by Rep. Ed Royce (R-Ca), have written a strong letter to the prime minister of Thailand requesting that Viktor Bout be extradited quickly to the United States to stand trial.

[---]

The first significant hearing on Bout’s extradition is scheduled for July 28. This hearing, originally scheduled for June, was delayed due to illness of one of Bout’s lawyers.

Click the link to read the whole thing...

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Smulian is to testify against Viktor.

British businessman to testify against 'merchant of death'

A British businessman, Andrew Smulian, is expected to give evidence against one of the world's most notorious arms dealers, Viktor Bout.

[---]

Mr Smulian, Mr Bout's British-born long-term associate, is believed to have provided evidence for the prosecution.

[---]

Mr Smulian, 46, a military-trained pilot, was arrested in Bangkok with Mr Bout in a sting operation, in which US agents posed as Colombian rebels trying to buy millions of dollars worth of weapons.

Mr Smulian is believed to have a negotiated a plea bargain. Both men currently face charges that could result in 15 years in prison.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Today, Viktor Bout entered the courtroom in shackles and an orange prison outfit...

AFP: Thai extradition case delay for alleged arms dealer

Bout, who acquired his macabre nickname for his alleged role in supplying weapons to some of the world's bloodiest conflicts, will have to return to the criminal court on September 22 and October 10, the judge said.

"The new lawyer representing him asked permission to postpone the case because he is representing another client," judge Jitakorn Pattanasiri told the court.

Yeah, right...

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
'Merchant of Death' 07/27/08

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join