It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Los Angeles Mexico?!?!?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThunderCloud
Even better -- there is now another billboard up nearby that says, "Just To Clarify -- You're in Los Angeles, CA...

No argument there, ThunderCloud. California. Alto California.

You know, if I invaded someone's country, then almost exterminated them, I think I would have enough creativity to re-name the place. All over the Southwest we drive on streets with Spanish and Native American names in towns like El Segundo, Nogales, El Paso... Los Angeles.

The workers who pasted the 'another' billboard were- you guessed it- hispanic.

[edit on 3-5-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Chak, I want to be sure I'm understanding you. Anyone that is in California who is not a Native American is, in your opinion an illegal alien? Or are we just bruts who took the land and should be gracious enough to give it back to the rightful owners?

Jemison

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I’m guessing they are advertising trolls. They knew it would stir up controversy and every time someone says "o my god, that’s horrible" the news station gets its name out.

Either way you look at it they are advertising their news station to you. I think LA is already 40-50% Hispanic/Latino/Mexican, this could be the tip of the iceberg as fall as advertising. One thing for sure is we are going to see some heated debates. Im glad Arnold said, "take that sheet down!"

[color=#8B0A50]Side note: You know what really makes me mad? When you call a customer service line and you have to press a number for English. We should never have to press a number for English. Those who don’t speak the native language should press the god dang number. Sounds so simple doesn’t it I think it’s crazy to have to do that.

[edit on 3-5-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Side note: You know what really makes me mad? When you call a customer service line and you have to press a number for English. We should never have to press a number for English. Those who don’t speak the native language should press the god dang number. Sounds so simple doesn’t it I think it’s crazy to have to do that.

You know what makes me even madder than the press one for English, press 2 for Spanish deal?? 95% of the time if you push 1 for English your wait time is significantly longer than if you push 2 for Spanish. Anytime I have a choice I choose English first, listen to how long my wait time is then hang up and try the Spanish line. I have yet to have the English time be less than the Spanish line and on every Spanish line I have NEVER had more than a 2 minute wait! Try it sometime and see for yourself!

Jemison

edited to add: My husband just sent me an IM telling me that he called a new Doctor to set up an appointment and the automated phone thing said "For Spanish press 1" ... so I guess English speaking people are now being downgraded ...

[edit on 3-5-2005 by Jemison]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
Chak, I want to be sure I'm understanding you. Anyone that is in California who is not a Native American is, in your opinion an illegal alien?

Not my opinion. Our opinion. Millions of us. The sovereign Native governments have not granted permission to Arn-old to rule us, or to make cheesy movies. Now define Native American. You born here? You see, Jem, Native is a matter of a way of life and place. Not race. Race is a gov't concept. If your bones are made of the dust of your ancestors, Chief Seattle told us you will begin to belong here. Bet if you checked, there's some Red blood in your family tree too, if your family has been here for many generations. My medicine says 'a little dab'l do ya'. First the Imarryagains complain about furriners crossin' the border. Then they hire an Obermensch from Austria to run 'em out. Hypocrisy! Racism! Its like a bad movie.

Join us. We won't tax you, the barbecue is free if you bring some wood for the fire, and fun is not illegal in our Nations.

Heck, Ah-nold is welcome here too, if he'd just knock it off with the fascism. It would be fun to adopt him, sweat the evil out of him, and make some new Western flicks.

It could happen.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Not my opinion. Our opinion. Millions of us.

I support Arnold and think he's doing a better job than what Davis ever did.

Now define Native American. You born here? You see, Jem, Native is a matter of a way of life and place.

Yes. I was born in California as was my Mother and Grandmother. My Great Grandmother and Grandfather came here from England and Ireland. On my Father's side, they arrived in the U.S. in 1610 from Wales. As far as I can tell from his extensive family tree there is no Indian anywhere in the family, but you never know.

Join us. We won't tax you, the barbecue is free if you bring some wood for the fire, and fun is not illegal in our Nations.

What kind of fun are you referring to?

As annoying as taxes are, I'm proud that I pay taxes.

There is nothing racist about wanting illegals deported and our borders closed. I don't care what the country of origin is, if someone is here in our country illegally they should be deported. It is not just Mexicans that cross the U.S./Mexico border but right now, it is the Mexican community that is causing anger by referring to Los Angeles as part of Mexico.

Jemison

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   

It is not just Mexicans that cross the U.S./Mexico border but right now, it is the Mexican community that is causing anger by referring to Los Angeles as part of Mexico.

Jem, under international law (remember that?), it is.

Annexation of territory by force of arms through treaties signed under coercion does not establish legitimate claim (remember Saddam Hussein and Kuwait?).

Now if you want to stop the inevitable, you could build a wall.

Or you could begin to breed (remember that?).

Or, you can look at the demographic projections and come to terms with the future by making peace with your neighbors.

The Mexican community is incapable of causing anger. Your reactive mind is creating anger within yourself. Relax. Make friends with just one Hispanic person- real friends. Once you get to know each other, heck, they'll realize you are a nice person and you can start working together to build a global community.

You do have common enemies- and common interests, you know.

The Anglo community should thank the Hispanic community for not pressing a case at the UN.

You know that theft is wrong.

We forgive you.

Now let us get back to work- making you the things you want.

Postscript: Jem, there was an Irish Republican whose life work was to prove the connection between the ancient Native Americans and the Irish. You would enjoy his book- Atlantis: The Antediluvian World.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
...Under international law (remember that?), it is.

Annexation of territory by force of arms through treaties signed under coercion does not establish legitimate claim (remember Saddam Hussein and Kuwait?).

You do have common enemies- and common interests, you know.

The Anglo community should thank the Hispanic community for not pressing a case at the UN.

You know that theft is wrong.

We forgive you.

Nonsense.

The UN has no grandfather clauses -- anything that happened before 1938 (the start of World War II) doesn't count. And what do you consider "international law"? Treaties between nations? UN Resolutions? The decisions of global religious leaders? What about other international organizations, like NATO or the European Union?

Even if the UN had grandfather clauses, Mexico invaded U.S. soil first -- that's what's started the Mexican-American War of 1845-1848. Santa Anna, the Saddam Heussein of his day, decided he no longer liked a treaty he signed himself with the Republic of Texas when Texas decided to become a U.S. State. Even though Texas had been an independent nation for 9 years by 1845, he suddenly decided he wanted Texas back when the U.S. became involved in the future of Texas.

Don't forget to tell everyone that the majority of Texans fighting in the Texas Revolution were Mexican citizens who could take no more of Santa Anna's tyranny. The same goes for the Mexicans in California who revolted against Santa Anna's dictatorship during the Mexican-American War.

If you want to blame someone for the loss of Mexican territory during the Mexican-American War, blame Santa Anna. His corrupt regime nearly cost Mexico its very existence, as the country was falling apart when he finally lost power.

Now, the U.S. were not perfect angels themselves in these affairs -- President James K. Polk took full advantage of General Santa Anna's foolishness -- but your pretending that the government of Mexico was innocent and blameless is absurd.

However, I will agree with you that we should all forgive each other for past grievances, and get along. But that doesn't include paying reparations for something no one alive today is responsible for.

Our common enemy right now is radical Islam, and less prevelantly, Communism and facism, neither of which have totally gone away.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I will agree with you that we should all forgive each other for past grievances, and get along. But that doesn't include paying reparations for something no one alive today is responsible for.

Our common enemy right now is radical Islam, and less prevelantly, Communism and facism, neither of which have totally gone away.

I myself am against reparations. Money means nothing. I too am for living together as equals in peace. We were all born here, on this continent. Your analysis of our common enemies is correct. I would add asteroid/magnetar defense, pollution, and overpopulation. We need each other.

For the great work of survival.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Why is this making people so angry? it's only advertisement

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
I myself am against reparations. Money means nothing. I too am for living together as equals in peace. We were all born here, on this continent. Your analysis of our common enemies is correct. I would add asteroid/magnetar defense, pollution, and overpopulation. We need each other.

For the great work of survival.

A continent, yes, but the continent of North America is divided into 10 soverign nations (23 if you count all the island nations in the Caribbean). Wars have been fought between various nations at various times in the past, but treaties have been signed which sets all the borders in North America where they are now. Nations must have their national soverignty respected, just like people should have their personal soverignty respected.

Bottom line -- Los Angeles is a city in the State of California, in the United States of America. Where it will stay.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   

A continent, yes, but the continent of North America is divided into 10 soverign nations (23 if you count all the island nations in the Caribbean). Wars have been fought between various nations at various times in the past, but treaties have been signed which sets all the borders in North America where they are now. Nations must have their national soverignty respected, just like people should have their personal soverignty respected.

Bottom line -- Los Angeles is a city in the State of California, in the United States of America. Where it will stay.

you got my first WATS

[edit on 3-5-2005 by Ruins]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Maybe a bit off topic, but Thundercloud, don't make the mistake of thinking the Texians were patriotic heroes, revolting against evil and tyranny. They were revolting because they wanted to keep their SLAVES.

Mexicans weren't so keen on the institution of slavery and wanted the Texians to give it up. They wanted them to obey the laws of Mexico because, well, they were part of Mexico. That was the deal they made, come fill up the province of Texas, learn Spanish, become Mexicans. Texians decided later that they didn't really like that deal.

Of course Santa Anna's heavy handedness and xenophobia pushed them over the edge, but it was a matter of time until the revolution happened. The situation just didn't work out.

Enough narrative....Wikipedia has a good summary of the causes of the war.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 5/4/2005 by Flinx]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Chak, I want to be sure I'm understanding you. Anyone that is in California who is not a Native American is, in your opinion an illegal alien? Or are we just bruts who took the land and should be gracious enough to give it back to the rightful owners?
Jemison

This reminds me of the Governor of Alaska who once said, "Just because someone's grandfather chased a moose across the land doesn't mean he owns it."
Go ahead, hit me!

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Now if you want to stop the inevitable, you could build a wall.

I'm not opposed to this.

Or you could begin to breed (remember that?).

I had 4 children in 3 1/2 years. I think I know just a tad about breeding!

The Mexican community is incapable of causing anger. Your reactive mind is creating anger within yourself. Relax. Make friends with just one Hispanic person- real friends. Once you get to know each other, heck, they'll realize you are a nice person and you can start working together to build a global community.

You are going by the assumption that I have no Mexican friends. That is inaccurate. As a matter of fact, I have people in my life that are not just friends, but feel more like family, that happen to have come from Mexico and who my parents spent THOUSANDS of dollars working with immigration lawyers to make them legal. This was back in the 80's when immigration wasn't what it is today, but these people are now American Citizens and are disgusted with what illegals are getting away with in the U.S. They are proud to be Americans. They think putting up a billboard that says Los Angeles, Mexico is disgraceful.

Now let us get back to work- making you the things you want.

That's really cute.

Jemison

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
In order for a nation to survive you must maintain borders, langauge and culture. Without these ingredients your nation will cease to exist. This is what is being allowed to happen to our country by our own elected government.
We the citizens of this nation are the only ones who can restore our soverinty and protect our borders from foreign and domestic enemies.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Coming to a state near you.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   

In order for a nation to survive you must maintain borders, langauge and culture. Without these ingredients your nation will cease to exist. This is what is being allowed to happen to our country by our own elected government.

I agree 100%.

What can we do about it?

Jemison

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
Maybe a bit off topic, but Thundercloud, don't make the mistake of thinking the Texians were patriotic heroes, revolting against evil and tyranny. They were revolting because they wanted to keep their SLAVES.

This is true; both what I said, and what you added, are true at the same time. History and human nature are strange like that... In any case, I did say that neither side were angels in this conflict.
By modern standards, both sides are guilty of unethical practices.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Thankfully someone wised up and the billboards will be changed ... of course there has been no apology for the disrespectful billboards and the news station obviously got the publicity they were after because their ratings shot up. No word yet on what they will change the billboards to, just that they will be changed in the next few weeks.

"In response to community feedback, Clear Channel spoke with the local advertiser and reached an agreement on revising the ad copy. The new copy is expected to be posted by the end of this week,' Alwin said.

Lenard Liberman, executive vice president of Liberman Broadcasting, said last week his company was merely trying to appeal to the 6.8 million Latino s, many with ties to Mexico, living in Los Angeles.

William Gheen, president of Americans for Legal Immigration, said the change was a small victory in the larger battle of enforcing the nation's immigration laws and securing its borders.

"Those signs offended people across the country for two sensi tive reasons. There's documentation that some large corporations are contributing to our illegal immigration problem and secondly, a large number of illegal aliens and their political activists don't respect or acknowledge America's territorial jurisdiction over the area and have repeatedly said, 'It's our land and we are taking it back.''

www.whittierdailynews.com...

I hope this is the last we hear of Los Angeles, Mexico!!!

Jemison

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join