It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: School Mistakes Huge Burrito for a Weapon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
A Clovis, New Mexico, middle school student, was spotted by someone bringing his extra-credit project to school wrapped in foil and a white t-shirt. Thinking that the object was a weapon, the police were called and the school was placed on lock-down. Hearing the principal describe the object in an assembly, Michael Morrissey approached the principal to tell her that he thought the object of suspicion was his giant burrito extra-credit assignment.

abcnews.go.com
A call about a possible weapon at a middle school prompted police to put armed officers on rooftops, close nearby streets and lock down the school. All over a giant burrito.

Someone called authorities Thursday after seeing a boy carrying something long and wrapped into Marshall Junior High.

The drama ended two hours later when the suspicious item was identified as a 30-inch burrito filled with steak, guacamole, lettuce, salsa and jalapeños and wrapped inside tin foil and a white T-shirt.

"I didn't know whether to laugh or cry," school Principal Diana Russell said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, you have to admit that a 30" burrito is a little unusual, especially wrapped in a t-shirt. The real shame is that in our America, the first thing a person would think is that such an object would have to be a weapon. The boy was assigned to come up with a commercial advertising product and a giant burrito was his idea and a pretty good one, to boot. I'd like to get a group together and devour one of those myself.

Related News Links:
clickoncuernavaca.com
www.usatoday.com
www.kansascity.com
www.boston.com

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Get a group together?

I'll have one for now, and one to go please.

That sounds like an awesome marketting project. I agree that it's a shame the first thought it always the worst these days. More stories like this might people a little less afraid of their own kids.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Why would they think something wraped in foil would be a weapon, that makes no sense.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 04:16 AM
link   
wellll a giant burrito could be considered a bialogical weapon depending on how hot the salsa is
j/k. the guys at work used to complain sometimes when i had had a few bean burritoes for lunch

this type of thing unfortunatly happens all the time unfortunately. a friend of mine once brought in an old, huge, capaciter for use in electronics class (just happened to be red). someone saw it and called in about a bomb. my friend was suspended for bringing it in. they insisted that he brought it in to scare people. now this happened about 15 years ago. we didn't have "lockdowns", we just got a 20 min break whenever there was a bomb threat. people started to call them in when fire alarms only gave everyone a five minute break:shk:.

it is unfortunate that everyone seems to suspect a "weapon" whenever something differant is seen. since 9-11, and things like school shooting sprees this has only worsened. paranoia is not a good thing but unfortunately it is becomeing more and more common.:shk: as humans we are just too suspicious most of the time it is just a false alarm. but as suspician grows so does panic. i remember a case here years ago where a "suspicious" package was left in a bus station locker for a couple of days. it was blown up by the bomb squad. just guess what this "dangerous item was? a stratoverious violin owned by a street person. it was left in the locker at night to keep it safe from being stolen. due to "suspician" this irriplaceible object was obliterated. just another case of "better safe then sorry". this is what society is becomeing, a bunch of suspicious, paranoids.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 05:11 AM
link   
No one can say the Bush tactics isn't working. As long as he can keep the major part of Americans in irrational fear, he will stay in power.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I saved this on my workpad. To me this is the best story of 05!

Whats with people attacking the US children? Hey, let me tell you something, burritos are very dangerous! especially those 30inchers.

........ illegal aliens are taking over the country .........

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   

"I didn't know whether to laugh or cry," school Principal Diana Russell said.

Makes me sad. This isn't really a situation to laugh over.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
So this is what we're coming too? Good grief. I tell you, it makes me wonder if if I'm doing the right thing by sending my kids to school instead of doing home schooling. Geesh.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Grady...I got such a kick out of this story, I've changed my avatar for the weekend in honor of the deadly burrito.

[edit on 4-30-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I'm so hungry now...

Thanks a lot Valhall.

I live up in the mountains, there's no such thing as Mexican food here. The one Mexican restraunt in town buys their burritos frozen, from the gas station up the road, and re-sells them with some orange rice and sloppy beans..at 8 bucks a plate!

I hope this burrito was taken into evidence and enjoyed by someone at least...

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Grady...I got such a kick out of this story, I've changed my avatar for the weekend in honor of the deadly burrito.

[edit on 4-30-2005 by Valhall]
I love it. That's a pretty sweet avatar.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
I live up in the mountains, there's no such thing as Mexican food here. The one Mexican restraunt in town buys their burritos frozen, from the gas station up the road, and re-sells them with some orange rice and sloppy beans..at 8 bucks a plate!

Oh my God, I pity you, brother. That is one of the saddest stories I've ever heard.

Zip
(in Texas)

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
zipdot
And I'm originally from New York! I used to be able to get fallafels, goat curry, good sushi, giant hamburgers with a side of cheese fries, and mammoth burritos, all within a four block radius from where I lived in midtown!

ARGHHH!

It's the one thing I really, really miss about the city. Good food on demand, at any hour of the night or day.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
That must be one of those illegal burritos I'm always hearing about in Louisiana.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The school was close, but the burrito only becomes a lethal weapon AFTER the kid eats it and then has to sit through social science after lunch. With teenage boys, you can't be too careful

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I thought kids were not allowed to bring pets to school? That is really small for a donkey.. didn't know they came THAT small

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Guys...this is a mistake commited by one person....who thought something that was hidden in a t-shirt could be a weapon....how exactly does this prove anything?...

If we take a look in the past before 9/11, i am certain we will find mistakes like this one happening in the past...

Hell while living in Spain in an area that had many factories essential for the economy of Madrid we recieved about 1-2 bomb threats every month. My house was one block from those factories.

Most of the time it was trash that was covered and noone knew where it came from or who put it there, and at first it was thought to be a bomb put there by ETA, at other times it was prank calls made by kids.

When a country is attacked by terrorists this happens.....it does not imply anything more of what it is, a mistake...

[edit on 30-4-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
It proves that if you want a burrito like that, stop by Chipotle. oh man (stomach growls)

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
yo quero taco bell. I'm hungry now too

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
hehe, yeah, it is pretty funny thou.

But it is not what some people are claiming this story to be..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join