It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Gardener Unearths Bronze Age Tools, Weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
A gardener in Norfolk, England, has uncovered a cache of weapons, tools, etc, dating from circa 800 BC, the Bronze Age. Among the items was a Viking brooch. The curator of Norwich Museum some 100 miles northeast of London, Alan West, said that it is unusual to find artifacts from different periods together.

www.cnn.com
A man landscaping his garden in eastern England has unearthed a major hoard of tools and weapons dating back nearly 3,000 years, an archaeologist revealed on Tuesday.

The hoard is among the largest finds in Britain from the late Bronze Age, consisting of 145 items including spear and axe heads, swords and metal working tools.

"This is one of the biggest late Bronze Age hoards ever found in Norfolk and is up there among the major finds in Britain," said Alan West, curator of archaeology at Norwich Museum some 100 miles northeast of London.

"The items are in good condition and this find is another significant piece in the Bronze Age jigsaw adding to our knowledge of the period," he told Reuters.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Although there is little news of the specific importance of this find, clearly, it will shed considerable light on the very distant past of Britain. It is known that tin was exported from Cornwall in Britain to Europe and the Middle East as far back as 2000 BC. One would hope that we will be learning more of this find and how it fits with the puzzle of our past.

Related News Links:
xtramsn.co.nz
www.thecouriermail.news.com.au
www.bergen.org
en.wikipedia.org

[edit on 05/4/30 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
This is interesting. Could you imagine digging in your backyard or planting flowers and finding something like this? I wouldn't know what to do with it.

That being said, I have no idea how this relates to terrorism as your title states.

[edit on 30-4-2005 by Ryanp5555]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
That would be cool. Now if only they found the proof of Romans in AMerica, well, more then what they have since the skeptics seem to think the gold coins of Roman Empire in Indian Tribe stuff is wrong, aliens must have teleported them there or something.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
That would be cool. Now if only they found the proof of Romans in AMerica, well, more then what they have since the skeptics seem to think the gold coins of Roman Empire in Indian Tribe stuff is wrong, aliens must have teleported them there or something.

They have found evidence of the Roman empire in North America? That is insane! Can you provide a link or something to a site to back up such a claim? I am not doubting you, I would just like to read it for myself, which I guess is doubting you, but I am not saying you aren't credible.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Not sure of the veracity of Romans in America, but there are other stories as well, one being that Knights Templar landed in America a few hundred years before columbus, it is rumoured that they got the directions from some Viking maps or something, again I do not know how reliable that information is, but if it turned out to be true it wouldn't surprise me in the least, either the Romans or the Templars. Then of course there is the Chinese "Map" the supposedly shows part of the Americas, but again don't know if the stories are reliable...

[edit on 30-4-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Ryanp5555,
I think i missed something, terrorism?

But does make me think of a humorous and maybe serious topic of anthropological evidence of historical terrorism. Certainly in the past intimidation and fear tactics were used by various stripes of tyrrants to impose control and sometimes to frighten indigenous inhabitants into surrendering to his [her?] political control.

Gangsters use these tactics in modern day italy to frighten businessmen for extortion purposes.

I suspect in the past intimidation was more prominent in the past. In many modern societies people have more of a mix of [sometimes altuistic] patriotism and intimidation/fear tactics of police. I am just guessing, but will speculate that in the past the intimidation/fear side of the balance was heavier than the patriotism/altruistic side of the equation. Anyone know of any research along these lines? i think it might be an interesting inquiry.

I wonder if anyone has experimentally tried to reconstruct the nature of the power structures of the past?

Various kinds of weapons would indicate different types of uses. I wonder if any would indicate a design for maximum gore/blood/horror and prolonged death? As opposed to impliments optimized for quick efficient injury and death.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
oh he probably changed it, or the mods may have changed it. Originally, when it was just a submission it said (submission)(terrorism)Gardner Unearths Bronze Age Tools, Weapons. My guess is someone edited either before or when it became actual news.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I changed the category while it was still a submission. My scroll wheel unfortunately changes settings if I forget to exit a field before scrolling. A simple error, all is well. Thanks for the heads up.

[edit on 05/4/30 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Perhaps somebody stole the items many years ago from somebody that was collecting them and buried them.

Or somebody was trading the artifacts long time ago and had a collection of different periods.

I wish that would happen in the US but taking in consideration that only south of the US is where more ancient civilizations were triving I wonder why no civilizations like the Aztecs or Incas build cities here in the US.

I wonder sometimes about that.......................

Sorry for the misspell sometimes my spell program can not read the sentences.

[edit on 30-4-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I would still like a link to the Roman artifacts being found in the Americas. It sounds a little outrageous to me, but I still could see it being possible. Would be a very interesting read.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Roman coins are so common that I have seen them practically given away for promotional purposes. There are plenty of plausible ways for Roman artifacts to be found in the Western Hemisphere without there being any ancient Romans ever setting foot here.

new topics

join