It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU-Iran Nuclear Dispute Talks Fail...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
...but.....More Planned.

The European Union's so-called "Big Three" and Iran failed to reach agreement over Tehran's nuclear program on Friday but decided to hold more talks in the future.

Iran had threatened before the five-hour meeting to resume sensitive atomic activities unless France, Britain and Germany agreed to allow it to carry out small-scale uranium enrichment.

Article

Pretty sad to see how Iran is simply dictating to the EU. Diplomatically, Iran is seemingly beating the pants off of the "Big Three." Whats up with that?
Appeasement policies continue to be the norm....?
When will the EU make a firm stance and give a deadline or take this to the UN?
How long have these EU-Iran talks been going on anyhow?
With the problems that the EU is experiencing themselves, I would almost bet that before Iran agrees to anything, the EU will probably have dissolved.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I hope maybe it's just Britain stalling before the UK elections...otherwise the EU is just all talk and no action.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
The EU has been at it since November. I can see the points of both sides of the negotiations, though I can say I don't think either side is truly commited to finding a resolution.

Iran wants nuclear power and quite possibly nuclear weapons. They have stopped their enrichment activities and allowed UN inspectors to visit their sites. They have been open in supporting their claims that they want a reactor for peaceful power generation, but have been unwilling to conceed anything to get it, which furthers the suspicions that they want to develop nuclear weapons.

Russia had stated they would supply Iran with enriched uranium for a power-generating reactor and would collect the spent fuel. This would have been a perfect situation for Iran because they would have a gauranteed source of fuel without having to worry about creating or storing it themselves. However, they turned the offer down, insisting on the indigenous enrichment of uranium. That tells me they want nuclear weapons, not a power generating reactor.

The EU has been half-heartedly attempting to negotiate a resolution. They have so far refused to escalate the talks to the security council for a resolution, economic sanctions, and possible military action. Iran feels they are wasting their time talking to the EU, and frankly I agree with them. The EU needs to get firm. Since the EU doesn't want to go the the UN Security Council they lack any kind of punitive power against Iran and that is why the talks are failing. Iran has flatly refused to comprimise on the enrichment issue because it knows the EU will not punish Iran for it.

It's time for these talks to go the the Security Council. The longer Iran can hold out, the more advanced it's nuclear weapons program becomes.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I've been following this as well. There is an election planned in Iran in June, and the speculation is that uranium enhancement will start up again after that. Either limited or full production...but it WILL begin after the election.

top topics

join