It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana To Adopt Daylight Saving Time (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
After numerous attempts to push a DST vote through and after decades of failed attempts to join the rest of the world the Indiana State legislature approved the measure by a 51-46 vote.

www.indystar.com
Daylight-saving time is coming to Indiana.

The Indiana House voted 51-46 late Thursday to pass the controversial issue. Gov. Mitch Daniels, who made passage of the time change one of his top priorities, will sign the bill soon so that on April 2, 2006, Hoosiers will join 47 other states in turning their clocks ahead one hour.

The climactic vote at 11:36 p.m. came after a half-hour of emotional testimony, in which lawmakers on both sides of the debate brushed away tears. They had fought about the issue all session; they had been deadlocked in the House all day.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This bill goes to the governor where a signature is certain. Indiana is now joining the rest of the world by adopting DST. This bill was heavily endorsed by special interest groups. The premise behind this change being that it will bring new jobs to Indiana. That remains to be seen.

[edit on 4/29/2005 by Indy]

[edit on 4/29/2005 by Indy]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Brushed away tears? Over daylight saving time? Sheesh, what do these emotional guys do when they're discussing really important legislation?

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Indiana is now joining the rest of the world by adopting DST.

Well, not exactly. Regard the following:

Some U.S. areas

Daylight Saving Time, for the U.S. and its territories, is NOT observed in Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, most of the Eastern Time Zone portion of the State of Indiana, and the state of Arizona (not the Navajo Indian Reservation, which does observe). Navajo Nation participates in the Daylight Saving Time policy, due to its large size and location in three states.

webexhibits.org...

Personally, I hate Daylight Saving Time.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Things are getting really interesting in Indiana. Between DST, certain property tax increases, voter id card requirements, and a slew of other tax increases slated to come its starting to come unglued here.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   
"Personally, I hate Daylight Saving Time." You and many hoosiers. It means that it won't get dark until 10pm in the summer and it will get dark around 4pm in the winter. Daylight Saving Time? Not hardly.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   
The invention of the light bulb rendered this practice completely useless and I think it is high time we quit screwing with the clocks. It's silly.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I agree, its ridiculous, this switching over our clocks. I mean, one hour isnt going to drastically affect life, and people for thousands of years have survived quite nicely without daylight savings. And it really is pointless in certain parts of the world, like in the higher lattitudes, where the length of days and nights in summer and winter are more extreme and variant as opposed to the equator, which is very equal in the length of day and night regardless of seasonal differences.

Im sorry to hear Indiana is going to adopt it, I hope that the Hoosiers take a public referendum and vote on it by their own wishes, instead of what the state legislature wants.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Ummm...ya....I've lived in Indiana for, umm....33 YEARS !!!!, and we've always had day light savings time. Spring ahead, Fall behind...I have no clue what this is about, unless only part of the state does it.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Apparently Indiana has a weird relationship with time:

DST is a long-standing controversy in Indiana, not only as an agricultural state, but also because the border separating the eastern and central time zones divides the state. In the past, neighboring communities sometimes ended up one or even two hours apart. Being out-of-sync with neighboring states and the national changing of clocks, it is argued, has a negative economic impact on the state. It has been demostrated that some businesses have located outside of the state once the confusion related to not changing clocks is discovered. In the current compromise, the state has three kinds of time zones:
  • 77 counties, most of the state, are on Eastern Standard Time but do not use DST;

• 5 counties near Chicago and 5 counties in the southwestern corner of the state are on Central Standard Time and do use DST; and

• 2 counties near Cincinnati, Ohio and 3 counties near Louisville, Kentucky are on Eastern Standard time but do observe DST. Their observance of DST is unofficial in this case, as a strict reading of the Uniform Time Act would not allow for this situation, but by observing DST they remain synchronized with the greater Louisville and Cincinnati metropolitan areas.

Wikipedia

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Heh-- I need to get out and see more of this state..lol..

Since I live about 20 minutes outside of Chicago, I guess I'm right with DST thing. Ahh, Indiana...the armpit of America..I love it.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
One day after what could best be described as a lack of government for the people in Indiana it appears the state government is about to blow a financing deal that would have built a new stadium downtown. This will all but guarantee the city losing the Colts and the NCAA mega final four contract.

They have 5 hours left to get this done or many will be facing a career change.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
we have a weird thing for time because we exist outside of it. Havent you ever seen eerie Indiana?

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Are you refering to a town or the condition of the state?

new topics

top topics

join