It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goose-stepping to the TV. Whats up with the US media?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Whats the deal with Media Control?

Is the US media trying to push ProBush Propanganda? One, do you think the media plans each story with a certian goal in mind? Two, if so whats the plan? Does the media go alone with the public's mode or does it shape it? Im on the side of a "Free Society" but is that what we have now? It easy to see a marginalized mass out there. Even one that is made into a terrified fear for their lives bunch. If people just sit at home in front of the TV(as most do) could it be easy to wip them into fear? Could they ever be talked into a war? Im sure I could give proof all day but here's just one and Im hope many others can be posted. The so called war on terror is going about the same now as this time last year. Old Rumfield had a press conference on that yesterday. His pocket officer said that attacks are running about the same as normal. That sure sounds like a good case for more disscusion about the whole war goals and what not right? Well have you seen any story in the last few months on that? It the biggest single issues facing us and our future. Sure you might get an 20 second sound bite but thats it. Hard working soldiers are still dying each week. It was a big deal in the begining but not now? We get stories on missing people, rapest on the loose and how fick up Congress is instead. All smokescreans. The networks budgets time for stories and real ones that we really care about never get their fair share.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Good questions.

Does TV create a dumber human? Yes, unless all you watch is Discovery, History, PBS, etc. But even good TV like that will subject you to inane television ads (unless you are channel surfing) which slowly make you dumber and dumber.

Television is picking your pocket, basically. The question is, outside your house, how safe is your street/city/county/state/nation? Is it likely that a death-squad will knock on your door in the next ten years and will you be prepared? Television takes you away from these questions and so most people never think about them in America. In Central America, they don't have great television but they do have death squads.

This war is meant to last for years. I haven't seen anything even hinted that says otherwise. The media is currently distracting us from that fact, hoping that Americans will accept an ongoing war. This has been asked of Americans before, btw. This war was sold on television just like its precursor. The television is responsible for pretty much every part of who Americans think they are.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
It seemed to me that all the major news outlets took a big step to the right after the whole FCC/station ownership rules brouhaha not too long ago. Except Fox, but they were always Bush admin. cheerleaders anyway.

The old "you sratch my back, I'll scratch yours" scenario: the media moguls were given a favor, and the favor was returned.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
Does TV create a dumber human? Yes, unless all you watch is Discovery, History, PBS, etc. But even good TV like that will subject you to inane television ads (unless you are channel surfing) which slowly make you dumber and dumber.

Oh, yeah, TV makes us more sheep-like. But those channels are NOT immune from misinformation and mindless programming:

The history channel shows movies, which surely are not historically accurate.
Discovery scheduleParty Planner
Monster Garage

And what can I learn on thses shows??? What not to Wear and Trading Spces

TLC schedule

Oh, for the good old days of cable, like the 80s and early 90s when there were better shows on these channels, not all this reality-type show mindlessness.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
To xmotex: Very true, I saw this move at the same time. The big three samed to be running the very same stories with about equal time give to them too.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Two words: Bohemian Club

It's no big secret, or even a secret society for that matter, but the media control it possesses is quite evident. Here's a google link to start ya out...

Bohemian Club

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
To DontTreadOnMe: Im still wishing for the old MTV days too. Still even then the mind game was on too. The rewrite history is a big deal too. SS school groups arent too far. The best case for fear on TV is FOX. Worse, someday we will be saying I wish we the old FOX days.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
This is a great article relating to TV Brainwashing.

home.iae.nl...

I never knew this, but it makes sense now as i always wondered why the kill figures were so low.

'Throughout human history, when humans fight each other, there is a lot of posturing. Adversaries make loud noises and puff themselves up, trying to daunt the enemy. There is a lot of fleeing and submission. Ancient battles were nothing more than great shoving matches. It was not until one side turned and ran that most of the killing happened, and most of that was stabbing people in the back.

All of the ancient military historians report that the vast majority of killing happened in pursuit when one side was fleeing. "Few researchers bother any longer to dispute that bloodshed on TV and in the movies has an effect on kids who witness it." (Time, April 6, 1998) In more modern times, the average firing rate was incredibly low in Civil War battles. Patty Griffith demonstrates that the killing potential of the average Civil War regiment was anywhere from five hundred to a thousand men per minute. '

The actual killing rate was only one or two men per minute per regiment (The Battle Tactics of the American Civil War). At the Battle of Gettysburg, of the 27,000 muskets picked up from the dead and dying after the battle, 90 percent were loaded. This is an anomaly, because it took 95 percent of their time to load muskets and only 5 percent to fire. But even more amazingly, of the thousands of loaded muskets, over half had multiple loads in the barrel--one with 23 loads in the barrel. In reality, the average man would load his musket and bring it to his shoulder, but he could not bring himself to kill.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   

The actual killing rate was only one or two men per minute per regiment (The Battle Tactics of the American Civil War). At the Battle of Gettysburg, of the 27,000 muskets picked up from the dead and dying after the battle, 90 percent were loaded. This is an anomaly, because it took 95 percent of their time to load muskets and only 5 percent to fire. But even more amazingly, of the thousands of loaded muskets, over half had multiple loads in the barrel--one with 23 loads in the barrel. In reality, the average man would load his musket and bring it to his shoulder, but he could not bring himself to kill.

This is very interesting. Where is the reference? I'd like to read this for myself. Is it from one of the links above?

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
To AdamJ:

HOW, I would like to look into this more. Im in Iraq rightnow and I see the seem thing on both sides. No one is real big on killing. Id say us(soldiers), are more up to it then the locals. Thats why ieds or so big. Its much easier to talk people into killing if they dont see the effects or can run off without being killed. Its no big serect that a good portion of people around the world dont support killing others in anyway. The use of pride, fear, envy and the like help feed a killers mind. Im not sure if you would be into Bertrand Russell's work but he looks into the reseasons for killing and shows how unhuman it is but with a little help of human emotions and brainwashing one can be turned into a SF soldier in no time

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Im in Iraq rightnow and I see the seem thing on both sides. No one is real big on killing. Id say us(soldiers), are more up to it then the locals. Thats why ieds or so big. Its much easier to talk people into killing if they dont see the effects or can run off without being killed.

Interesting thoughts, dirk d. How are you posting from Iraq? Are you there as a civilian? I am glad to hear that you are observing a hesitation toward killing. Have you observed any Central or South American mercs while there? I've read that there are thousands of them, even being promised American citizenship if they go fight in Iraq. I've also heard that these mercs get paid more than twice what American troops get. Do you have any data on this? I'd be interested to hear more directly from someone on the ground since we get so much media disinfo and blackouts here in America.

[edit on 1-5-2005 by smallpeeps]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
smallpeeps,
I haven't heard of any mercs other an the old blackwaters and what not. My unit has ran into El Salvador troops funded and back by the US. Not sure what pretences they are here. They are being use for police work. Ill keep an ear out. Do you have any links to some background info? Im sure that the US Army isnt up to that stuff but a contractor is another story.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Growing up close to the U.S. border, I grew up watching the American boob tube and I don't think I'm the better for it. Now I hardly ever turn it on. If I do, its only to watch one little soap opera (which I'll give up one of these days as its pretty disgusting), or now, documentaries or live political discussion on PBS or CBC (which, for a publicly funded network does air some courageous and thought-provoking material from around the world). I had never realized how dumbed down I was. Only caring about my little surroundings and not the wider world beyond. Not even realizing that there was something wrong with this when I was younger. Then 9/11 happened and I was hooked....watched all the coverage closely, but ironically, did not see. When BushCo. turned its sights toward Iraq I was still half asleep, although I never agreed and always thought it was a lie. I applauded Michael Moore for his 9/11 film, until I realized that it detracted from the real truth of this war.

Bottom line is the mainstream media is a joke for anyone who really wants to know what's going on - you need to read for that and not just the mainstream papers. The internet is a Godsend and a brilliant resource. But its easier for people to watch boob tube and think they are informed while they are all wrapped up in their little lives and day to day concerns then to ask the important questions....just why are we there and who is benefitting from all this death and destruction? The day I realized the BushCo. gets richer with each passing day is the day I really woke up. Now as time goes by and I see all the "coincidences" of the names of the same elite rich turning up everywhere there is money to be made or laundered I am sickened. Especially when I see people here who continually defend those who are laughing in their face...all the way to the bank. The ones who control the mainstream media that supposedly keeps us informed.

[edit on 1/5/05 by AlwaysLearning]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
To AlwaysLearning,
Who stands to gain? Thats a great way to look at the new!!! The problem is a base set of info to work off of. Im still asking questions and changing my mind alot there. Its hard to find good sources to start with. To print is to sell and so much is based on that. I grew up on TV and now a days dont even own one. I think the raise of FOX was the last straw for me.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
And just think, dirk, FOX...in the U.S. which is republican controlled is right wing. Yet in the U.K. which is Labour controlled...is left-leaning. Murdoch certainly knows where he bread is buttered, eh?

Glad you like my line...

There are lots of resources out there, but I guess you don't have much time to surf. Will U2U interesting stuff as I find it.

You keep safe now and keep coming back to share your experiences in Iraq with us!!

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Dirk, here 's a link about the fellows you mentioned from El Salvador. There was a different article about Columbian mercs getting way more money than this but I have to look for it.

U.S. security firms sending hundreds of Salvadorans to Iraq

The main problem in my opinion is that you can't control war atrocities in the case of contractors or mercs. They really can operate above (or below) international law. In any case, these guys' bodies/coffins won't be shown on TV either.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
smallpeeps, that is an extract from the page i linked. No doubt you can find more if you google the right words.

Originally posted by dirk d
To AdamJ:

HOW, I would like to look into this more. Im in Iraq rightnow and I see the seem thing on both sides. No one is real big on killing. Id say us(soldiers), are more up to it then the locals. Thats why ieds or so big. Its much easier to talk people into killing if they dont see the effects or can run off without being killed. Its no big serect that a good portion of people around the world dont support killing others in anyway. The use of pride, fear, envy and the like help feed a killers mind. Im not sure if you would be into Bertrand Russell's work but he looks into the reseasons for killing and shows how unhuman it is but with a little help of human emotions and brainwashing one can be turned into a SF soldier in no time

I think it is easy to sit in a war room somewhere and plan what you are going to do, but when you are the person who has got to carry it out it is a different matter.
Its easy for planners to formulate PNAC, and theorise what they could do and how, almost like playing a game.
Its different though to be presented with having to do something in real life.
Its easy to talk about killing those 'terrorists' or 'insurgents' but much harder to actually do it because you have got to work out who they actually are and ultimately you are the one who has got to live with that and bear responsibility for what you do.
If you take accountability away, if you let people get away without the proper consequences of their actions then you create trouble.
Leaders of nations have to be responsible and accountable when they get it wrong, if they are not then it becomes like playing a game.
I dont think soldiers on either side really want to fight each other. I guess some might say they do, especially young Americans, but you have to ask how far are you prepared to go, if you are prepared to kill other people then there are no social rules anymore. You cant kill someone then turn around and expect someone else not to kill you.
Its easy when you are not taking responsiblility and just following orders with everyone else. Us vs Them is a big factor.
What though if you were doing it on your own? Would you do everything you just did off you own back? Do you believe in your cause so strongly that you would have flown out to Iraq by yourself to fight whoever you are fighting even if nobody else had bothered.
I think war is dangerous because its lots of people not taking personal responsibility for what they are doing, just following orders from someone in a war room somewhere. You have enorous power when you have a gun and you are given a right to kill people. If you combine that with the diffusion of responsibility you get from taking orders from somewhere else and working with other people, therefore not being personally responsible/accountable, then you can easily create chaos.
I personally do not think that anyone really wants war, whatever political, religious, moral, belief that they have, because at the end of the day everyone is human and no human likes killing other humans, much less having other humans try and kill them.
The only people that want war are those who can make it happen without being accountable to further their own ends, money or prejudice or whatever.
The technology of weapons has evolved so that people can make things happen without actually having to see the results. Bombs dropped from planes are a good example.
The way any war happens is by demonising the opponent and that is done deliberately by someone with an agenda. If you make them 'less than human' almost like animals then that makes people angry and they want to teach them a lesson.
In reality however, demonising is always a lie because there is one fact, no matter what race or nationality everyone is human and has the same emotion, nobody is really a deamon and that truth always comes out, althought usually far too slowly.
Everyone is human and humans do things for a reason. If someone hates you then most likely they have a good reason for it, and hate usually comes from fear of you or pain you caused or both. If you make people scared or you cause them pain then they will hate you, and some will even give up their own lives because you hurt them so much. Maybe you killed thier family wife, daughters, sons from dropping an anonymous bomb. You destroy their life and their is no accountabiity. That drives people crazy, and it goes on every day in the world because people think other humans are less than human, and are somehow evil.
I guess the media (propaganda) tells them so. It seems almost all media has an agenda, even if they dont realise it, and there are alot of people who are demonised through TV, radio, newspapers.
In world war 2, both the British and the Germans genuinely believe that they other was a pack of animals, who would rape and torture and kill indiscriminately. Obviously that was not true, and when people meet up they realise that. However thats was what they were both told.
It seems to me war is just a game played by those who dont have to take part in it personally, they deliberately demonise other human beings through propaganda for no good reason, because they know its all lies, other than to make you go and fight in their war for their own ends.
Supposedly its being patriotic, but thats just silly. There is nothing wrong with supporting your country, but it is never acceptable to kill other humans, patriotism is not an acceptable reason.
Personally i dont think anyone wants war or wants to fight, or 'hates freedom' as Bush suggests some might. I just think that people just want to feel safe and happy.
War is never 'Justifiable,' nobody wants to be involved in it and much less deal with the inevitable, long lasting consequences of killing people.
Its still going on though, every day someone from the 'Axis of Evil' is targeted in the media.
That fact together with statements like we should prepare for "a war with no foreseeable end", make me very skeptical of the future. I feel sorry for Iraqis, and anyone else of the Axis of Evil.
Iran next anyone?

[edit on 2-5-2005 by AdamJ]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   
AdamJ:

Well put, I sure understand the fear you're talking about. Most of the guys here would kill out of fear, not to bring "freedom" to Iraq. They fear not making it back. The idea on bombs is too true. Bombs are the rich mans war toys. Think how many lives the US has taken in bombings in the last 40 years. Thats why other nations hate us. Its not because the dont like the"West." The fact is, even in Iran, most people want to live just like us, its the war machine they hate.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
So then what's up with the NASA channel?

They seem to have some other agenda going on or something...

For one, every now and then they have a chinese news broadcast on for quite some time or a sort of chinese documentary. Its all in chinese with chinese subtitles. Strange because I can't tell if its a good thing or a bad thing.

Also I've seen the strange infomercial for StoptheFTAA.org...located here on the web
www.stoptheftaa.org...
the video should be on the site somewhere....
from the subject matter being discussed on the video and website, I can't even believe that the NASA channel would be allowed to show it.
Talk about having your wires crossed. The other strange thing is when I mentioned this before on another thread, it was quickly dismissed since they said it had nothing to do with the thread, when actually it had more to do with the thread than they cared to admit. What was interesting about it was the conspiracy angle they were using that I have yet to see anyone talk about on this website. For the short summary, its an upgraded NAFTA arrangement about a united Americas trading bloc that has no definable national borders. So for instance there are no canadian or mexican borders with the US and the population just would migrate to where the work was and it would just nullify the concept of illegals since there would be no borders to illegally cross. So no national identity in the traditional sense. How you would do that is beyond me, seeing how the EU thing isn't going very smoothly and teaming up with poor old mexico is a mismatch made in hell.

Then the other night was some lecture by some guy about the US becoming a 3rd world nation based on some other guy's work. I didn't take notes, I was too stunned to see that again, this weird anti US policy stuff was on the NASA channel. He was on a podium at some lecture conference thing really going after it.

Does anyone pay attention to this channel? Its one of the few that I get.
I turn it on every now and then to see animations of their latest or future projects, but when I see these wierd videos that one have nothing to with NASA, and two come on during normal hours instead of 3 in the morning, all I can think is What the Hell??!!

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Captain, that's very interesting. I haven't ever seen the NASA channel. Is it available through DirecTV or do you get it through your local cable company? Interesting how the NASA channel would show a "Stop the FAA" video. I've always seen NASA as a black company with many compartments that are hidden, even from the 'normal' employees. I think it's a given that in any agency with billions of dollars, somebody is going to buy a secret warehouse and start doing some illegal stuff off the books. I see NASA as an international, potentially NWO organization, not an American one.

The idea of America becoming one nameless continent (Freedonia?) is a wet dream of some elite-types, but they won't get it without lots of fighting. I think their plan is to orchestrate a financial collapse in America first, so that we would subesquently be living in similarly poor conditions as Mexico. That's the only way you could ever humble Americans en masse and get them to tolerate such a union; You'd have to bring America down to Mexico's level of squalor and disrepair first.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join