It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Illegal Drivers Can Haul Hazmat Cargo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Some two-thousand drivers' licenses were sold by corrupt Florida government officials to individuals and some of those were commercial licenses with hazardous material certifications. A drivers' license is a highly sought after document because it is an official form of identification that can be used to reenter the country or to prove citizenship. Illegally obtained Florida drivers' licenses were instrumental in the 9/11 terror attacks. Federal agents are trying to track down the licenses.

www.usatoday.com
Corrupt employees in the Florida motor vehicles department illegally sold driver's licenses to more than 2,000 people, some of whom used the credentials to drive 18-wheelers and haul hazardous materials, federal authorities charged Thursday.

Federal agents were scrambling to track down people who bought the licenses and can now use them to board airplanes, cross U.S. borders with Mexico and Canada and drive potentially lethal cargo around the country.

Of the more than 2,000 licenses issued, 36 were for commercial drivers to operate trucks, and six to transport hazardous materials, said Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) spokesman Dean Boyd.

"These cases are important because a driver's license is a bad guy's ticket in," Miami U.S. Attorney Marcos Jimenez said at a news conference. "It allows someone to operate heavy equipment, which can do a lot of damage," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As has always been the case, it is the venal and corrupt among us who are our worst enemies. All too often we are sold out by the guy who thinks nothing is more important than a buck. Even more troubling is the fact that this is not an isolated incident, as the links below indicate.

Related News Links:
www.vdare.com
www.securityworld.com
golf.about.com
www.smh.com.au

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Looking at your post it sure does bring the fear factor to prospective, I wonder if there is a extreme background check on truck and frieght drivers because having some nut hauling some toxic waste or flamable materil is a BIG no...no...

Wow, that is one scenerio I definite have over looked!!!

Imagine the possibilities!!!!

darn world when is it gonna be worry free?

[edit on 28-4-2005 by 2ndSEED]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   
This just reminds me how stupid Floridians are. Honestly try living here

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
AndrewTB
While I agree all the crap seems to roll downhill, I also know for a fact that Florida isn't the only place to have issues with this.

I was in Chicago while the Liscenses for Bribes scandal was wrapping up. That actually caused numerous accidents, deaths, and huge lawsuits. Of course the issue trailed right to the top, and a few heads rolled. Unfortunately, these corporate/political criminals never receive more than a slap on the wrist.

Same story, different state.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
AndrewTB
While I agree all the crap seems to roll downhill, I also know for a fact that Florida isn't the only place to have issues with this.

I was in Chicago while the Liscenses for Bribes scandal was wrapping up. That actually caused numerous accidents, deaths, and huge lawsuits. Of course the issue trailed right to the top, and a few heads rolled. Unfortunately, these corporate/political criminals never receive more than a slap on the wrist.

Same story, different state.

That sounds horrible. Youd think the US Goverment would have a little more control over these things. Overall though I assure you Floridians are much more stupid then people from Chicago.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Youre right, Grady. Our worst enemies are not foreign terrorists, nor foreign govornments, nor armies. The biggest threats to security and prosperity in this country are our own corrupt people, who will blindly and willingly sell fake ID, liscences, visas, ect, to anyone with the money, without any regard for thepossible repercussions their actions could carry to their fellow humans.

Unqualified, untrained drivers transporting hazardous materials on our roads is a big public safety concern. People who engage in selling fake liscences to anyone should recieve life in prison, as their actions endanger the safety of people all over.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
From the USATODAY.com article, 2nd to last paragraph...

And on April 20, agents in Dearborn, Mich., arrested four people for allegedly trafficking in fake state driver's licenses.

The agents are supposedly ICE agents (www.ice.gov) - however I have scoured their site for a news release on this incident, and can't find one. I also searched a little bit on google, and of course they didn't have much except one news site you have to subscribe to.

I thought that it just might be a coincidence that there were some people in Dearborn who would like to sell some fake I.D.'s to some immigrants who might want to work at the Ford factories there.

Maybe not, but since I can't find any mention of this incident anywhere else - who knows.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
As someone who works for a trucking company I can tell you it's not just hazmat freight these illegals can get to. If they can drive for companies that have hazmat athority they can drive for companies with DOD which is government freight some of which if your company has clearance is top secret!

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Is it any less corrupt when an entire state government tries to do exactly this? California legislators have been trying time and again to do this for illegal immigrants, and are working to do so again.

Too bad it's considered "racism" here to fight such policies, or to begin investigating onto the Mexican mafia connections, the so-called "hispanic community" who can easily force changes to city and county law enforcement. Wonder how much oil money from ol' Vincente ends up funding this sort of thing?

Yet wne an unlicenced illegal gets in a wreck that kills his family, they push for giving licensing to everyone, rather than stopping the source.

And, it's not corruption, if it's approved policy?

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Just an other prime example of what a great job "Homeland Security" is doing to keep our country terrorist free. Yeah right. Like that was ever the intention! People are stupid!

new topics

top topics

join