It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Soldier Gets Death Penalty

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Sgt. Hasan Akbar, who attacked and killed officers in his unit in Kuwait in 2003 has been sentenced to death. He could have been sentenced to life in prison without parole or life in prison with parole. Akbar's attorneys attempted to convince the court that he was insane. He was a member of the 101st Airborne Division, US Army.

www.msnbc.msn.com
A military jury Thursday night sentenced a U.S. soldier to death for killing two officers in a grenade and rifle attack in Kuwait — murders for which the defendant apologized in a brief, barely audible courtroom statement.

Sgt. Hasan Akbar, a Muslim convert described by prosecutors as a religious ideologue and by his attorneys as mentally ill, faced either death, life in prison without parole, or life with parole for the March 2003 attack, which also wounded 14 fellow members of the Army’s 101st Airborne Division.

The jury had reached a verdict at one point earlier Thursday only to have one member request reconsideration. A military judge sent the 15-member panel back to vote early in the evening on whether to reconsider their decision.

The break came after seven hours of deliberations in the trial's sentencing phase

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is hard to imagine a more heinous act than for a soldier to kill his unit members, regardless of the motives. It is reassuring that the death penalty can be meted out in this day when so many murderers serve what seems to be ridiculously short sentences. It is so sad that a unit can be so damaged by one misguided individual. Fourteen of Akbar's fellow soldiers were also wounded, beside the two officers who were killed.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
dailynews.yahoo.com
tennessean.com
www.cbsnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Jury Selection Begins in Trial of Army Sgt. Accused in Fatal Attack on US Soldier (moved from ATSNN

[edit on 05/4/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Ah, good to see justice is done. And so swiftly! Military trials rule.

Zip

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
In the world of military combat, trust in your fellow soldier is a matter of life and death.

A betrayal such as cowardice or spying costs lives. Even carelessness can cost lives.

But to be intentionally killed by someone who is supposed to be helping you stay alive is the greatest betrayal possible.

In my opinion, the death sentence is appropriate.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Good, he doesn't deserve the suit and metals he were wearing espically killing his own unit on purpose.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by cimmerius
In the world of military combat, trust in your fellow soldier is a matter of life and death.

A betrayal such as cowardice or spying costs lives. Even carelessness can cost lives.

But to be intentionally killed by someone who is supposed to be helping you stay alive is the greatest betrayal possible.

In my opinion, the death sentence is appropriate.

I agree perfectly.

You have spoken so exactly... I don't think it can be stated any better than you have said.

I commend you, sir.

Zip

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I completely disagree.

Yes, the death penalty is 'the most severe' punishment handed out by the system, but honestly, so what?

If someone I knew had been killed intentionally by his fellow soldier while at war, then I would not want the murderer to die. I would want the murderer to suffer.

Put him in there for life with no parole. Put him in a maximum. Get someone to quasi-legally hand him down a beating or two.

That would be worse than death. Knowing that you can't escape, that you can't leave, that you can't just die.

Death is a release, not a punishment.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viendin
I completely disagree.

Yes, the death penalty is 'the most severe' punishment handed out by the system, but honestly, so what?

If someone I knew had been killed intentionally by his fellow soldier while at war, then I would not want the murderer to die. I would want the murderer to suffer.

Put him in there for life with no parole. Put him in a maximum. Get someone to quasi-legally hand him down a beating or two.

That would be worse than death. Knowing that you can't escape, that you can't leave, that you can't just die.

Death is a release, not a punishment.

Ah, here it comes. The comments from the 'no crime is worth dying for' crowd. The ones that somehow find a way to feel sorrier for the perpetrators than they do for the victims of a crime.

There IS suffering with the death penalty and Akbar is already suffering - suffering by knowing his life is going to end and having to imagine what that end will be like. With life in prison, there would always be hope. Hope that sometime in the future someone like you would end up in a position to feel sorry for this renegade and let him out. As someone who has a stepson in the army, I say kill this animal and move on. Can't wait until he finds out that there really aren't any virgins waiting for him, that it's all part of a big lie.

[edit on 4/28/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Traitor to your country? Traitor to your team, who are depending on you to cover their 6? Sorry....

Swift death is good here. I don't want that snake languishing in prison, getting exercise and watch tv, everyday, getting a Hella good book deal out of it... Let him go shamefully to his grave. Let his memory be that of a low-life cowardous traitor. Let no one care or shed a tear when he goes.

Bye-bye Hasan Akbar... We'd like to miss you, but our aim is too good.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
A completely deserved sentence. A traitor... nothing else. The repercussions in the world of Islam will be interesting. Expect verbal condemnation very soon.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
"Take a look around you, in the 7th cavalry we have a captain from the Ukraine, another from Puertorico, we have Chinese, Japanese, blacks, hispanics, cheroke indians, jews and gentiles, all american.

Now here in the states some men in this unit may experience racism because of color, race or creed, but for you and me now all that is gone.

WE ARE MOVING INTO THE VALLEY OF THE SHADOW OF DEATH, WHERE YOU WILL WATCH THE BACK OF THE MAN NEXT TO YOU, AND YOU WONT CARE WHAT COLOR HE IS OR BY WHAT NAME HE CALLS GOD.

They say we are leaving home, we are going to what home was always meant to be.
Now let us understand the situation, we are going into battle against a tough and determind enemy, i cannot promise you that i will bring all of you home alive, but this i swear, before you and almighty god, that when we go into battle, i will be the first to set foot on the field, and the last to step off, and i will leave no one behind , dead or alive, we will all come home together, so help me god. - LT COL HAROLD MOORE.

This mans crimes was to betray his brothers, and kill them, for any man who has served with the military knows that is what you are , a band of brothers, a family..this man betrayed his family and deserves his sentance..

[edit on 29-4-2005 by andy1972]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I knew one of Hassan Akbar's victims. That man was one of the most honest, intelligent, and decent human beings I've ever had the honor to have known. His wife is deprived of her best friend, the love of her life. His two-year old son will never know his father's warmth, caring, or generosity. His parents will never have their son walk through their door again. Our world is diminished with his passing.

Personally I hope Akbar's soul burns in eternal damnation once his lifeless body is cast away like the useless refuse it is. For those who feel I'm being rather harsh by saying this, I'm being rather charitable in my words here, I think.

Akbar's death sentence will be via lethal injection unfortunately. He won't feel pain. He'll just go to sleep. He should suffer a far worse fate than that.

He should have to suffer in the manner his victims did. He should be shot in the back, at a time that he least expects it to happen, as he did to Captain Seifert. He should suffer for five days from his wounds before perishing, as was the case of Major Stone.

Akbar must now pay for the crimes against his country, his unit, his brothers-in-arms. I only wish it could somehow bring back the two lives he took.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I wonder how we'll kill him?
Well good riddance at any rate.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I'd rather die by a bullet then die by a tiny needle.

However, this coward deserves the worst, being anally raped in prison for the rest of his life would be a good punishment or a very slow painful death.

It doesn't matter to me if he's muslim or not, don't listen to the zionist media run by crazy israeli's who would see every man suffer and die who call their god Allah.

This blatant media prop-aganda is sickening, would we have even heard a man killed his fellow soldiers if he was a white Christian or even Atheist?

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Indeed. Dropping a grenade in a tent and killing your own people in cold blood can only be properly punished in the military world by death penalty. The only reason I could see justifiably killing one of your own is if they were about to do something horribly criminal that would endanger their fellows, bring shame and dishonor to the uniform, or harm innocents for no reason whatsover.

None of the above applied in this case, and thus, this man deserves death for his betrayal.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
I'd rather die by a bullet then die by a tiny needle.
*SNIP* since this is a "family site" and not late night Cinemax (Skin-a Max)

Its two needles (Angiocaths actually), one in each arm (just in case), and the thought of a predetermined death is probably worse than the method (provided that it's not of an extended duration). I'll stick this %#!@*@! There’s nothing to appeal, crazy or not, military justice needs to be... executed.

On a side note, kind of strange that they use sterile procedure for lethal injection, isn't it?

For the curious:

Venipuncture Monkeys, not just for vascular access anymore...

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The ironic thing is that this guy felt he was being comprimised by having to fight 'fellow muslims', but his actions have almost certianly resulted in fellow muslims in the US military geting the cold shoulder and falling under a suspicious eye. Its sad that patriotic and civically minded citizens are smeared by his actions, the high virtues get the short shrift because of this tool.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
This man did something that my words can not even begin to describe. As a former Marine, I shudder at what he did. Yes, the sentence is well-earned, and he deserves it.

He doesn't deserve to wear that uniform at all, he disgraces it. And his excuse for doing what he did is just horrible. I'm glad in knowing that his act of cowardice, betrayal, and dis-honor is being brought to justice.

-wD

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
One death does not bring back the dead men, all it brings is more death.
He betrayed his unit, country and the people who trusted him, but it still doesnt make the task any "better" or "good" .......I pity the men and women who will have to conduct his execution...

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Akbar will be the sixth person on the military’s death row at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. The last U.S. military execution was in 1961.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

As I interpret this statement, it will be a long time before Akbar is issued his 72 virgins. It's been a long time since I read the Koran, so I'm not sure of the details of Islam's view of heaven, but wouldn't it be funny if all those virgins were a bunch of whiney, hyper-sensitive, hyper-critical, hyper-phobic, self-absorbed twelve year olds, who never grow up. Hmmm. That sounds a little like that Wilbanks chick.

[edit on 05/5/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
He is a discrace to ANY uniform and a traitor to his Brothers.

Kill him

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join