It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Icelandic Volcano May Have Killed More Than 10,000 People in UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   

When I first saw this I found it hard to believe. UK is a long distance from Iceland. But after reading the full article, I´m convinced this could have been the case. This eruption took place in 1783 and killed more than 9000 people in Iceland alone (1/4 of their total population). UK experts say this eruption might also have caused the deaths of more than 10.000 people in UK.

BBC: Volcano 'drove up UK death toll'

UK experts suggest a cloud of volcanic gases and particles sweeping south from the Laki Craters event of that year may have killed more than 10,000 people.

The team combed climate data, burial records and contemporary accounts that reported a "volcanic haze" and health problems in the English population.

The eruptions at the Laki Craters began on 8 June, 1783, and continued for eight months.

An estimated 122 megatonnes of sulphur dioxide was released, along with smaller amounts of other gases, from explosive fissures and vents and from lava flows.

In Iceland alone, some 9,000 people - about a quarter of the population - were killed. But the massive discharge from beneath the Earth also fumigated many parts of Europe with volcanic gases and airborne particles.

There were an estimated 11,500 extra deaths during this late summer mortality peak in England.

Contemporary reports from across Europe mention the periodical presence of an atmospheric haze in summer and autumn 1783, linked by several lines of evidence to the pollutant cloud produced by the Laki eruptions.

Click link for full article from BBC...

This article say that the following winter were amongst the coldest on record. I found that part very interesting as we see a general increase of volcanic activity these days, all over the world. They say nothing about this eruption´s effect on the death-rate for the rest of Europe. They have only investigated in UK. I assume this eruption caused problems not just in the UK. Happened a long time ago... Could happen again... Thoughts? Comments? Objections?

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Nice find

It just goes to show that even a normal volcanic eruption can have effects far flung... Britain isnt too far away from Iceland... but these days Bitain is much more populated than it was then, so if this happened again it could be quite catastrophic.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
This shows how devastating a volcano can be. Imagine what Vesuv for instance can do today if it blows its top...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Right now, airports are closed in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and UK. They are closed because of a volcanic cloud coming from Iceland.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Nuke Iceland, its the fairest retaliation for us here in the UK

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by expatwhite

definately, Iceland is nothing but trouble, they should be part of the axis of Evil. Why send our troops to Afghanistan when the problem is quite clearly Iceland.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

definately, Iceland is nothing but trouble, they should be part of the axis of Evil. Why send our troops to Afghanistan when the problem is quite clearly Iceland.

I thought iceland was the Axis of Evil for standing up aginst the NWO??? well according to some comments I've read

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

But what will happen if this one continues to spew clouds into the atmosphere.. will most of Northern Europe continue to be grounded??

I'm not sure if the volcano is still spewing the same amounts and if this is minor or major belch.. anyone know???

[edit on 15/4/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Agreed, cod wars anyone? Its time we sent our troops in. We could then establish a permanent penal colony there, save on prison overcrowding. All the drug users and alcoholics and instituionalized criminals could be kept there, behind some sort of wall. A cold northern barren territory, a godforsaken refuge of the damned. Maybe we should make the male population wear skirts as well as a final insult and punishment.

oh wait, we have one of those already

# gets his coat and legs it before the jocks see this #

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by expatwhite

I would say for you it is fortunate that all the airports in Scotland are closed

I am just waiting to hear that this is the wrong type of ash, since everything in the UK appears to be the wrong type, snow, leaves etc...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The following winter after the 1783 eruption / volcanic cloud, was the "coldest on record". I wonder whether there were any increased sun activity at that time, causing this "coldest on record" winter, and maybe even triggered this volcano? Increased sun activity seems to cause: magnetic storms, auroras (and cold temperatures), and increased earthquake/volcanic activity. Maybe the cold winter in 1783 was not caused by the volcanic cloud, but by increased sun activity?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Perhaps they are linked.. but it is a worry...

I can't help but think (although I said this joking on another thread) that it is strange that Britain has been predicted/forcast to have the hottest summer on record..

Going by what you have just written, it seems a strange co-incidence..

Although I am not sure what will happen now if this eruption gets into full swing..

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
From the BBC news: The Shetland Islands have reported that there is a strong smell of rotten eggs heading south, south west which will take it pretty much right over mainland Scotland. This is not good as I am going sea Kayaking on Saturday and I do not want my day ruined by eye watering stenches and accusing sideways glares - I get that enough at home.

If this ruins my Summer I am going to be mighty upset as we only get one good day of sun per year and even that is interspersed with snow and sleet, hence the "hardy" good looks of our menfolk (and womenfolk)

Ok I was joking (about the one day of summer).

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

Thanks for that
tho its worrying news... my partner is off to Aberdeen and Norway next week (part of her role in the aviation side of the rigs) then we're off to Denmark as a get away from the stress... we've been saving a while and am now rightly
by the whole thing really..

But I dread to think what the mix of eggs and seaweed is going to be like at low tide

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Thanks for this very informative thread..

Worrisome...... What protections would folks have these days that weren't available then (1783), other than respiratory protection and the ability to leave the area? Even then, for dusts and mists, a NIOSH-approved respirator with the magenta cartridge would work, however I'd guess for surfurous fumes a person would have to go with an expensive SCBA. Not positive about that.

AND........how many folks could afford to leave their homes for another country? Scary.

You know what this reminds me of? There was something in the predictive linguistics of webbots about something in the air that travelled the globe. I'll have to look that up, just for curiosity's sake.

new topics

top topics

join