It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ivory Billed Woodpecker Back From Extinction! (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
The Ivory Billed Woodpecker, last seen more than sixty years ago and long considered extinct, has been sighted in the woods of Arkansas. The woodpecker was captured on video and its identification was confirmed by experts from the Cornell University Laboratory of Ornithology. More than fifty experts took place in the search for this American legend which disappeared years ago when the big bottomland forests of North America were logged.

www.eurekalert.org
BRINKLEY, Ark. - Long believed to be extinct, a magnificent bird - the ivory-billed woodpecker - has been rediscovered in the Big Woods of eastern Arkansas. More than 60 years after the last confirmed sighting of the species in the United States, a research team today announced that at least one male ivory-bill still survives in vast areas of bottomland swamp forest.

Published in the journal Science on its Science Express Web site (April 28, 2005), the findings include multiple sightings of the elusive woodpecker and frame-by-frame analyses of brief video footage. The evidence was gathered during an intensive year-long search in the Cache River and White River national wildlife refuges involving more than 50 experts and field biologists working together as part of the Big Woods Conservation Partnership, led by the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology at Cornell University and The Nature Conservancy.

"The bird captured on video is clearly an ivory-billed woodpecker," said John Fitzpatrick, the Science article's lead author, and director of the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology. "Amazingly, America may have another chance to protect the future of this spectacular bird and the awesome forests in which it lives."

"It is a landmark rediscovery," said Scott Simon, director of The Nature Conservancy's Arkansas chapter. "Finding the ivory-bill in Arkansas validates decades of great conservation work and represents an incredible story of hope for the future."

The largest woodpecker in North America, the ivory-billed woodpecker is known through lore as a bird of beauty and indomitable spirit. The species vanished after extensive clearing destroyed millions of acres of virgin forest throughout the South between the 1880s and mid-1940s.

Although the majestic bird has been sought for decades, until now there was no firm evidence that it still existed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Our old Pal Woody Woodpecker seems to be here with us again. It is Great to see that nature can prevail and surprise us from time to time. While mankind has trashed the wilderness seemingly without concern for ages, it is great too see that there are still some survivors in our reckless war on the environment.

This is the exact reason why the Endangered Species List is so important. As we poison our rivers and lakes and clear cut our forest lands, we are loosing the earths rich biodiversity at an alarming rate. Only through careful conservation and intelligent sustainable use, can we hope to maintain a world that will support the species Homosapiens.

While this may give cheer to those searching for Big Foot, Chupacabra and Elvis, I am just happy to know that ol' Woody may come knocking at my door sometime soon

Related News Links:
www.npr.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The end of Extinction?
SCI/TECH: Earth's Dead Zones Growing

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I have one of those-

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Woody Woodpecker is not a Ivory Billed Woodpecker, he is a Piliated Woodpecker. Where he gets his laugh from.

Anyways, so how long before Bush&Co/Big Business clean out the forest killing everything? Sounds to me like the forest companies on Tasmania Island. If the Thylacine, or Tasmanian Tiger is found, the companies will be forced to stop logging, so they have resorted to FIREBOMBING square miles of forest in areas that the Thylacine has benn "seen".(It is extinct, maybe, but hell, the Ivory Billed Woodpecker was extinct....)

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Sad but true James. I have seen where Yanomami Indians in the Amazon were firebombed by cattle ranchers who wanted the land. Greed and selfish profiteers are everywhere.
Still, glad to see Woodys friend back on the wing.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
In some places the Black Footed Ferret is endangered.

I knew this guy (Federal EPA) that claimed to have seen one on his proerty. He lived a little out of town. The county had to stop construction on a road project and re-route it.

He saw nothing- he was protecting a little 'field' he had.

I often wonder about these wood peckers and other critters, just how much of what we are told is true.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I live in Arkansas and if they raise our taxes any higher the good folks of this state will be out hunting that woodpecker for the next family BBQ.

More people in this state have seen Bigfoot then have seen this bird and still some people are willing to say Bigfoot doesn't exist.

Ahwell, i'm rambling. g'night folks,

Wupy

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
mrwu[y a little more taxes and no wood pecker

Maybe this is why some birds become endangered?

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Wow, everyone's repeat detectors seem to be malfunctioning today: www.abovetopsecret.com....

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I live on land that was taken from the Cherokees, and we have always had woodpeckers, the funniest one was a woodpecker that landed of a truck mirror, and just loved his own image.Have an owl nesting in an unused chimney.
Being a tree-hugger, I am going to be the ol'lady on the porch with a shotgun, as I have had exhorbitant offers on my acreage for clear-cutting..
Only over my dead body and if they do I will haunt them...

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I for one saw this today and was very happy to see it, and I followed the Black Footed Ferret story for years.

new topics

top topics

join