It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Court Denies Limbaugh's Appeal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Although he has not yet been charged, radio personality, Rush Limbaugh appealed a court decision that his medical records could be seized in an investigation of his alleged "doctor shopping" activities. The appeals court ruled 4-3 that it would not re-hear the case. Limbaugh's attorneys argue that Limbaugh appropriately sought treatment for a painful back injury. Prescription records show that Limbaugh obtained two thousand pills during a six-month period.

www.cnn.com
The Florida Supreme Court has turned down conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh's request to review a lower court decision that the state could seize his medical records.

In a 4-3 decision, the court said it would not consider a motion for rehearing.

Limbaugh has been under investigation into whether he illegally went from doctor to doctor to get multiple painkiller prescriptions.

He has not been charged and denies the allegation, saying investigators are on a fishing expedition aimed at embarrassing him.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Frankly, I'm no stranger to pain. I like narcotic pain relievers because they do the trick for me, but when the pain is gone, I stop taking the medication and I have no desire to continue. Of course we are not all alike and I guess some become addicted while taking medications appropriately, even though there have been studies that indicate that the body responds differently to narcotics when pain is present, reducing the risk of addiction. It should be noted that Limbaugh lost his hearing in the months leading up to the investigation of his drug acquisition strategies. Some have indicated that hearing-loss is a symptom of abuse of certain pain-relievers.

Related News Links:
msnbc.msn.com
www.usatoday.com
www.freep.com
deafness.about.com

[edit on 05/4/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I didn't hear about the appeal being denied.

I know he was shopping, you know? But I don't care. The state was fishing. Two wrongs don't make a right.

So while Limbaugh was wrong, I do support his defense by Roy Black and the ACLU. He should not have to give up privacy in order to defend himself.

The American Civil Liberties Union has supported Limbaugh's position, saying the seizure of medical records violated Florida's constitutional right of privacy and doctor-patient confidentiality.

I had also hoped more would come of this and people (like Rush) would start to see what a noble organization the ACLU really is, but no such luck. He was bad mouthing the ACLU on his show even while they defended him. Which they too would defend.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Nothing like an addict. There are no amount of pain killers or preferred substance to keep them happy.
I do have to give him credit though, the few times i (bored) tuned in to his show, he acted perfectly normal and evil, as he always had.

Talk about being able to hold your Vicodan.

*Thats enough out of me. *

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
So while Limbaugh was wrong, I do support his defense by Roy Black and the ACLU. He should not have to give up privacy in order to defend himself.

Riiiight- Limbaugh should be able to break the law because he is entertaining and have to abide by the same rules he preaches that others must follow or be labeled L?

He's dumb- he should have done like Martha Stewart, taken his punishment and gone on. Nope, made a big deal out of it and now is one more time showing the world just what kind of law abiding citizen he really is.

4-3 in Repub Fla- amazing. I guess those 4 hurricanes got someone's attention after all

Isn't it amazing that the ACLU stepped in to help Limbaugh? As much grief as he gives them they should have thrown him an anchor instead of a free (paid for by others) life jacket.

I'm waiting for the Neo-con outrage the next time the ACLU steps up to defend some crack head without a radio show.

How many times did Limbaugh get 'cured?'= none

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
The drug laws are wrong.

They are the not very intelligent government telling adult citizens what they can and can not do with their own bodies. When did your body become property of the US government?

I am not a slave and my body is not communist government property.
Oops, except i guess when it comes to drug laws.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Wait, isn't Rush the guy who on air called blacks "Drug Monkeys"? How they should be rounded up for all they do is spread "filth, drugs, and crime"? WTF? So Mr. Blacks are Drug Monkeys was hooked on drugs?

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
This frustrates me to no end, for soooo many reasons.

First off, this guy is a tool, he's abusive, racist, a criminal junkie. He's not worth the copius flesh his body consists of. Common sense says, he gets what he deserves.

Second of all, the ACLU is of course defending this jackass, despite his obvious hatred of them and everything they stand for.

Third of all, he can't be a man and turn down their help, he accepts their defense.

Fourth, he continues to attack them, despite their support of him during this difficult time.

How much of an ass can one man be?

But the worst thing of all, the absolute worst- the thing that makes my blood boil; he should be left alone. Firstly, because drugs are the business of those taking them, I honestly believe that. Secondly, because medical records are priviledged. Doctor shopping is illegal, but it's not a serious crime in my mind, therefore it doesn't merit breaking patient/doctor confidentiality.

He's being attacked for who he is, and frankly he deserves it, but it's not justice, it's vengeance. And vengeance has no place in the courts. Lady Justice is supposed to be blind. So even intolerant, bigoted, self-righteous fatheads get fairness in their prosecution.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
But the worst thing of all, the absolute worst- the thing that makes my blood boil; he should be left alone. Firstly, because drugs are the business of those taking them, I honestly believe that. Secondly, because medical records are priviledged. Doctor shopping is illegal, but it's not a serious crime in my mind, therefore it doesn't merit breaking patient/doctor confidentiality.

That was a real good build up speach- no cigar, the close is too tranparent

Limbaugh broke a law and he knew it was illegal when he did it. He involved other in his 'criminal enterprise.'

Medical records have NEVER been absolutely privledged. He can not hide behind 'privlege' to hide evidence of a crime.

He is a ccriminal and confessedly psychotic- he has failed rehab!

external image

What is really sad is that some weak Florida judge will give him 'house arrest' instead of jail.

Limbaugh deserves to meet 'Bubba' and find out wht those he calls trash on society think about his celebrity status first hand.

Martha did her time:

I called his show to talk to him about this on the air-

What a sissy

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
JoeDoaks
What do you mean by 'transparent?'

I want him to suffer, because he truly and righteously deserves it. But I don't want precedents set that allow further intrusion into privacy, either doctor/patient or lawyer/client priviledge.

I know he's a criminal, everybody does. We all know he's a junkie. It's obvious he's a lying scumbag.

Why shatter more protections of common people just to prove a point, when, as you say, he'll get off scot free in the end?

I don't see any merit in that outcome.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
What do you mean by 'transparent?'

1 he's a bad guy
    2 he's a bad guy
    3 he's a bad guy
    4 he's a bad guy
    he's a jerk

I already said he's a bad guy so now he derserves special treatment

That looks like a plastic-slam to me.

If you believe Limbaugh did wrong (broke the law) then why should he get special treatment?

As is, there is no new precedent, as to what you call for a new set of rules would be set.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I don't think he should get special treatment. I never said that.

He deserves the same treatment as everyone else.

He deserves to have priviledged information witheld from a courtroom, just as you or I deserve that level of confidence in our doctors and lawyers.

No new laws. No new precedents.

Prosecutors have to have a damn good reason to go digging in medical records, or to subpoena lawyers to break client/attorney priviledge. A damn good reason is usually to stop impending violence, to prevent child abuse, or to solve a murder or similar crime against society.

Rush getting high doesn't injure me, or my loved ones, or you. It injures him. Therefore it should be encouraged. Give that man more pills.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
2000 pills in six months? Thats what, 11 pills a day. Almost three times what any sane doctor would prescribe. Somebody had to blow the whistle on the guy.

Sure, he's a jerk. That's not the point. He is hurting people and harming society through his irresponsible actions. He's setting a bad example, and he is depriving others truly in need of the help they should be given by abusing the prescription drug system.

There is good reason for his medical records to be reviewed by law enforcement. He is not alone either, and this problem needs to be brought to the fore. Who knows what illegal drugs might be involved on the side? Oxycontin is the synthetic opiate of choice these days, and this whole case could be the tip of the iceberg of opiate addiction that plagues us as a nation and as a global society. Anybody who has read my posts knows how I feel about opiates.

I also know how it feels to be in terrible pain, and to crave the relief that opiates can temporarily bring. In that respect, I sympathize with Mr. L, because its no fun being in terrible pain all the time. I'm fortunate, in that although I remain disabled and in serious pain most of the time, I quit using opiates for it, and though withdrawal was super weird, I feel much better without that crap in my system.

I think the ACLU is wrong about this case, and they know they'll lose, but it is a high-profile publicity stunt and worth the investment for them.

[edit on 29-4-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Bottom line: if they can't invade medical records for normal people, by law they shouldn't be able to do so to prosecute pundits.

Patient/doctor priviledge is sacred folks. It's what gives you the trust necessary to confide in your doctor and to let him/her help you in the correct manner. Now, Limbaugh lied to several doctors it appears, but he was the only one who suffered for that. If you can't trust your doctor not to rat you out, how can you tell him the personal information necessary for him to make good judgements on your treatment? If you're afraid to confide that you're an alcoholic, because you work as a school bus driver or something, and your doctor prescribes the wrong medication, you could die. Trust is an essential element in the patient/doctor relationship.

And who was he hurting besides himself, I still don't follow that. He wasn't robbing the local gas station at gun point to get his fix, or was he?
He was providing a bad example? Sure. But people are just as capable of learning from bad examples as from good ones, believe me, I know. I had many bad examples to look up to, and several good ones. I learned from them all, others can too.

Of course, if he had robbed someone, or assaulted someone, or stolen something, it would be a serious crime, and he should have to answer for it.

But abusing drugs is a suicidal crime, and I'm all in favor of those. Let those with bad judgement remove themselves from the gene pool and provide a wonderful example for the rest of us at the same time. Those with the will to reign in their instincts, and those with the sense to seek help, they will be the ones to survive, and thrive, on their own merits - as it should be.

Any one of us here could abuse drugs, shoot ourselves, or leap off a bridge. Making it illegal, and invading our privacy to investigate these kinds of behaviors, well, that makes the state our warden.

I prefer having the state remain in the role of mutually beneficial referee and international enforcer, it's a more limited role, less likely to result in gross abuses of power and widespread loss of civil liberties.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I want him to do time for many, but mostly, for the friggin hypocrit he is. And while he's doing time I'd like to see the tables turn and his wife cheat on him.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   

rotten . com

9 Dec 1993 "If [Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders] wants to legalize drugs, send the people who want to do drugs to London and Zurich, and let's be rid of them." Rush Limbaugh, admitted drug addict, inexplicably still lives in America.

23 Feb 1994 "I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen." (TV show.)

16 Dec 1994 On his daily radio show, conservative pundit Rush Limbaugh declares: "We have alcoholics and drug addicts in our society, don't we? And what do we say about them? 'Well, they can't help it. Why, it's genetic. Why, they have a disease. Why, put one thimbleful of scotch in front of them and they can die.' We totally exempt them from any control over their lives, do we not? Some athlete will spend two years snorting lines of coke. 'He can't help it. You know, it's -- it's just -- it's not -- it's -- it's genetic. These people -- they're predisposed to having this addictive syndrome. They -- they can't help.' Yeah, like that line of coc aine just happened to march into the hotel, go up to the athlete's room and put itself right there in front of him on his blotter."

May 1996 "I've warned to skip some topics like: Newt Gingrich's first wife. Bob Dole's first wife. Phil Gramm's first wife. Dick Armey's first wife. Rush Limbaugh's first wife. Rush Limbaugh's second wife. Rush Limbaugh's third wife." Al Franken, White House Correspondents Association Dinner.

Jun 2002 Limbaugh enters detox a second time. Wilma Cline

17 Nov 2003 Rush Limbaugh returns to the air after a well-publicized month-long rehab.

pssht . com

After using his pilonidal cyst - a congenital birth defect - to
avoid military service in the Vietnam War, Limbaugh briefly
worked for radio stations in Pittsburgh, PA and Kansas City,
MO. Fired from both jobs, he worked as a wiener salesman for
the KC Royals baseball franchise, eventually slithering back into
the radio business.

In 1971 Limbaugh attended Southeastern Missouri University,
where, according to reports, he had a brief but heated affair
with Elliot Sanders. So gay is Limbaugh, guarantees Sanders,
that, "none of his marriages was ever consummated."

A pilonidal cyst or sinus is an abscess (localized collection of pus) or a chronic draining sinus (canal or passage leading to an abscess) located in the opening between the buttocks muscles. This cyst may have a deep cavity containing hair and may be without symptoms unless it becomes infected.

In May 2004 Rush's third wife, Marta, grew tired of never
having sex with her allegedly closeted homosexual of a
husband, and so asked for a divorce. Limbaugh complied after his
desperate wife agreed to never reveal the true nature of Rush's
sexual perversion.

claudia long blog

Feb 2005
Taxpayers fund Limbaugh/Kagan Tryst?
This is so sweet and romantic, so very Valentine's Day. Al Kamen reports in the Washington Post that Rush Limbaugh and CNN anchor Daryn Kagan [the young woman he left his third wife for] are taking a little trip to Afghanistan on the dime of US taxpayers, to create a nice piece of propaganda designed to ease the pain of legislators [who are beginning to fuss just a tiny bit about the gazillions of tax dollars being poured into the blasted-into-oblivion black holes that are Iraq and Afghanistan] -- and maybe to honeymoon.

What is Limbaugh's appeal? Is it his machine-gun rhetoric, his anti- many things stance or just what? There must be a load of frustrated people out there tuning him in for him to propel into the limelight as he has.

-or-

Is there something? Is there a group behind him to further their own agenda? If so then who would this group be? Could this group actually be one of the groups that Limbaugh targets from time to time? Surely this would have been discovered by now, wouldn't it?

new topics

top topics

join