It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Information on Every College Student Requested by Dept. of Education

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The Department of Education has requested information on every student enrolled in American colleges. The information would include social security numbers, race, age, classes taken, loan status, and much more. Most colleges are wary of releasing such information because of privacy concerns, but the Dept. of Education insists that they only want to have a better method of tracking trends across state lines.

www.foxnews.com
The U.S. Department of Education wants universities to provide personal information about every student in the country in order, they say, to produce more accurate and useful information about the school system. But critics are already lining up to prevent any proposal from going forward.

"While we recognize there are valid considerations, we are not interested in sacrificing student privacy rights for them," said Jasmine Harris, legislative director for the U.S. Student Association (search), which represents student governments at colleges and universities across the country.

"This would take away the little protection students have," she added.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a bold move, sure to draw a lot of criticism. While it may be worthwhile to better understand trends in enrollment and graduation, it comes at a steep price in privacy and trust. Students will not be happy, administrators will not be happy, and teachers will not be happy.

I would be surprised if this went through, unless of course the Feds make some moves to enforce the edict - then cooperation is pretty much a sure thing.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I, for one, will be watching.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
This is unconstitutional...using social security numbers for tracking purposes.

Oh well, that hasn't stopped them so far.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I thought they were cutting the education budget, oh wait, that was cut was on educational benefits

Seriously, I wonder how much they are puttinig in for this "Study/survey/BS". They should take the funding for this and put it towards books or schools that need funding help.

Btw, they better not give out my info or I'll be miffed.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Well, the request has met with no small amount of disagreement on the part of the schools.

But like I said, if the DOE pushes hard enough, the schools probably won't have any choice but to comply.

It's unfortunate, but the students won't have any say in the matter, at least that's how it appears right now.

I hope at least a handful of colleges refuse, no matter what, and get persecuted for their decision. Their sacrifice might inspire people to take some action on the issue.

I can see this sparking mass protests, but it all depends on the relative level of apathy in the student body.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
If they refuse they lose federal aid

snip from mother jones
No Child Unrecruited

Sharon Shea-Keneally, principal of Mount Anthony Union High School in Bennington, Vermont, was shocked when she received a letter in May from military recruiters demanding a list of all her students, including names, addresses, and phone numbers.

The school invites recruiters to participate in career days and job fairs, but like most school districts, it keeps student information strictly confidential. "We don't give out a list of names of our kids to anybody," says Shea-Keneally, "not to colleges, churches, employers -- nobody."

But when Shea-Keneally insisted on an explanation, she was in for an even bigger surprise: The recruiters cited the No Child Left Behind Act, President Bush's sweeping new education law passed earlier this year.

There, buried deep within the law's 670 pages, is a provision requiring public secondary schools to provide military recruiters not only with access to facilities, but also with contact information for every student -- or face a cutoff of all federal aid.
"I was very surprised the requirement was attached to an education law," says Shea-Keneally. "I did not see the link."
More

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
That's distressing to say the least.

There are too many of these small steps all happening at once.

The war for the future of America is almost over, and the majority of one side isn't even aware hostilities have commenced.

So, so sad.

I wonder what's next?

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
If I'm not mistaken, didn't some of the 9-11 terrorists enter this country on student visas?
Perhaps DHS wants to cross reference their education visas against the list of enrolled students. Sounds like a good idea to me.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Chemicalaser
They were granted special state department waivers for undetermined reasons. They were all unmarried young males with no way to support themselves, which is an automatic denial in most cases. For some reason they got a waiver, perhaps they needed to be here for some reason...

The DHS is reducing the requirements for student VISA applicants this month.
This is probably in response to complaints from the left that it was too difficult for students to get into the country. Frankly I would prefer it be difficult.

I don't think they're thinking logically. Perhaps they're making concessions on this issue to entice our lousy sell-out politicians to vote yes to his SS thievery.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Don't you see it? One day, you'll wake up and then you'll not have any rights... like in a dictatorship ... wake up!!

Give the country to the people not to those who owns everything like Bush and all those big rich family....

Like I said before, democracy is just a stealth form of dictatorship...

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
No1 thought that if they were after trends only they could request anonymous information? If they track trends then name and social security number shouldn't play a part.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This won't happen.

Watch.

There is no way this will go through.

You can mark your calendars and put a day down saying "remember to tell Zipdot he was right."

Zip

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I am a student and I sure don't want the Dept of ED to have my info.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I'd guess that if you have any sort of financial aid, the govt. already has your info. Hell, they already have your income information from your SSN. What information would the school provide that they don't already have in one form or another?

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemicalLaser
I'd guess that if you have any sort of financial aid, the govt. already has your info. Hell, they already have your income information from your SSN. What information would the school provide that they don't already have in one form or another?

Your classes. To get student aid, the paperwork transactions involve contract fulfillment information such as hours and grades, not class names. The government has no business knowing that 654-32-1111 Joe Public is taking Revolutions and Civil Disobedience 101 at 3:50pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Even if someone can convince me that they (and not a private sector statistics compiler) need that knowledge for some reason, nobody can convince me that the government needs the ability to use a graph to show that people with the last name Zarqawi are 78.987% more likely to take a class named "Koran Studies 101" in combination with a class called "History of Avionics 101" than a person with the last name Guidry, and that this fact somehow convinces somebody that thereby we should legislate that the government can spy on a Zarqawi and not a Guidry because statistics show that most Zarqawi college students are terrorists...

This is PRIVATE SECTOR WORK. There is way too much of a conflict of interest here...

Zip

[edit on 28-4-2005 by Zipdot]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   

as posted by Valhall
This is unconstitutional...using social security numbers for tracking purposes.

That may be so, but apparently in states that issue drivers licenses using the social security numbers, tracking is not an issue, correct? Is it unconstitutional for states to utilize such methods, being that they are for tracking purposes?

seekerof

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Well, it's my understanding that social security numbers are for spot identification, as opposed to tracking purposes. Also, this encompasses a lot more than SS numbers. They want class schedules, income, residency information, graduation notification, transfer notification, the works. That amounts to surveillance, no?

Also, I find it interesting that the schools will probably have to foot the bill for the labor in assembling and maintaining this running database. I've been around colleges for about 8 years now, and I know the admin has plenty to do without playing fed clerk. I wonder if this alone might impeded the adoption of this rule?

If I was an educator, I would not only be concerned about privacy for my students, but also feasibility in both running a school and a federal database at the same time.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I think the issues isnt can they do it, which I say sure if we let them, but why they are doing this? Whats the goal of the study? This story leads us to beleive its to look at drop outs. Ok fine what thes Fed got to do with that. If they found out why some many Freshman dont hang in there whats next. Can the Fed control tests in college too? Would they ask for more dumbing down the mass like the so called no child left behind does?

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I'm thinking it might have something to do with military recruitment.

Targetted recruitment is much more efficient than 'cold calling' and other blanket techniques. They're using a lot of soldiers to try and get more soldiers. At some point that has got to be a negative in terms of effectiveness.

Either that, or for determining loan interest that would more accurately fit the trends in attendance.

Dunno really..still trying to figure it out.

new topics

top topics

join