It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Scientists Make Bacteria Behave Like Computers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Scientists have made bacteria communicate with one another and to form themselves into shapes and to emit colors according to instructions inserted into their genes. Most practical applications are many years away, but in only a few years such bacteria could be used to detect toxins in the environment, a useful tool in a world of terrorism. There is also hope that these bacteria could be used to perform mathematical functions.

www.msnbc.msn.com
Bacteria have been programmed to behave like computers, assembling themselves into complex shapes based on instructions stuffed into their genes.

The research could lead to smart biological devices that could detect hazardous substances or bioterrorism chemicals, scientists say. Eventually, the process might be used to direct the construction of useful devices or the growth of new tissue, perhaps restoring function to a severed spinal cord.

Many lines of research hold similar promise for controlling biology to build useful things. Predictions do not always come true. What's new about this latest effort is that the bacteria are made to communicate, so that millions or even billions of them gather in a predictable manner.

And there are pictures to prove it.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I guess wonders never cease--bacteria acting like a marching band at halftime. While it may very well be many years before such technology becomes useful in our daily lives, discoveries such as these do pave the way to the "future." It think this is very exciting.

Related News Links:
www.theinquirer.net
partners.nytimes.com
www.forbes.com
www.world-science.net

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Scientific advances these days are much like a Mad Lib....

Noun is now able to Action Verb Plural Noun to Action Verb on Noun

Plug in just about anything in there and I promise it will happen some day

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
Noun is now able to Action Verb Plural Noun to Action Verb on Noun

Women are now able to impregnate women to give birth on schedule. It could happen, I guess. I've heard lesbians longing for the day egg-fusion becomes a reality.

[edit on 05/4/28 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

join