It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Woodpecker Thought Extinct Rediscovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
A woodpecker with a three-foot wingspan that has not been seen since 1944 and has been thought extinct for all these years has been spotted and video-taped. The birds' habitat was destroyed by logging in Arkansas. The Ivory-Billed Woodpecker is one of the largest birds in the world. Experts say that it is rare to find any animal that was thought to have been extinct.

hosted.ap.org
The ivory-billed woodpecker, once prized for its plumage and sought by American Indians as magical, was thought to be extinct for years. Now it's been sighted again and conservationists are exulting.

The striking bird, last seen in 1944, has been rediscovered in the Big Woods area of Arkansas, scientists and conservationists reported Thursday.

"This is thrilling beyond words ... after 60 years of fading hope that we would ever see this spectacular bird again," John W. Fitzpatrick, director of the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, said at a news conference.

Since early 2004 there have been several independent sightings, including one caught on videotape, of one or more of the birds, Fitzpatrick said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I guess this find leads to a few questions.

1. Where does a bird with a three-foot wingspan and such distinctive features hide for sixty years?

2. Can it be that supposed extinct creatures smaller than the giant woodpecker are hiding out somewhere?

Whatever questions might be asked, it is good news to hear that this bird survives. While it it not the most lovely of birds, one of its nicknames, "The Good Lord Bird," seems very appropriate.

Related News Links:
www.birdingamerica.com
www.birdnature.com
nc-es.fws.gov
audubon2.org

[edit on 05/4/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I was amazed when I first read this story. I can still remember looking for red-cockaded woodpeckers ( rare, but still in good numbers) in the woods around our town in the late '70s. It was quite a thrill to spot one then, so I can't imagine what it would be like to see an ivory-bill.

1. If the Big Woods area is anything like Big Cypress or the Green Swamp here in Florida, a bird can hide rather easily. In low numbers, if the bird avoids humans, there is a lot of hiding room. Florida Panthers have been found to have lived in an area for years without detection.

2. Absolutely, it's almost certain that other "extinct" animals exist somewhere. There are still large areas of this country that rarely, if ever, see a human footprint.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by eaglewingz
it's almost certain that other "extinct" animals exist somewhere

The one-liner ban is anti-humor. Bear with me, puchline follows:

In a cloning laboratory. Could be private, or 'black'. Heck, if I had a billion I'd do it. Environmental restoration, you know.

Welcome back, Woody

[edit on 29-4-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Repeat, how did this one get voted? This is a repeat, one was posted days ago..... Sorry GP, but this was posted awhile ago, like minutes after the news hit.

And as I said in that one, Woody Woodpecker is a Piliated Woodpecker, not a Ivory Bill, the laugh Woody is famous for is from the Piliated, which sounds freaking creepy when you in the woods at noon and the tree cover is so thick it's dark.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is where this was done a few days ago, but for some reason it wasn't voted in..... yet yours days later got right in, strange, conspiracy? Wait, you are an "expert" so yours don't have to be voted on, right? Well, look better next time I guess, I have done this before and it annoys me to know it was on the next page or something.

[edit on 29-4-2005 by James the Lesser]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser

This is where this was done a few days ago, but for some reason it wasn't voted in..... yet yours days later got right in, strange, conspiracy? Wait, you are an "expert" so yours don't have to be voted on, right? Well, look better next time I guess, I have done this before and it annoys me to know it was on the next page or something.

Give it a break, Like GP is part of a consiracy in here, hell he is outnumbered 6-1.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Isn't it wonderful something thought to be long gone is rediscovered...bush and company will probably try and sell the land it's living on for lumber now that they know it's there...never let a good thing go undestroyed is their motto.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser

If you will note the date/time stamp on both articles, you will note that my post preceeded the one you cite by about two hours. My posts have to be voted up, just as everyone's. As yet, I have not noted any advantage to being an expert, though I could be wrong or have forgotton. The conspiracy allegation is the funniest thing I've heard on some time.

[edit on 05/4/30 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Now if we could just find the WMD.....

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Ah, and isn't that annoying? Damn time stamps, how come this is the first I seen this? Everyone been posting in the other one.... Ok, and the conspiracy was a joke since this is a conspiracy website.....

Anyways, as I posted in the other topic, I can see Bush&Co doing here what the Tasmanian Foresting companies do in Tasmania, find out where the Thylacine/Tasmanian Tiger has been "seen" and fire bomb the hell out of it. Or in the Amazon where the natives are fire bombed by McDonalds or whoever for cow pature/grazing lands.(cause the Thylacine is "extinct", if proven alive, all foresting will be stopped, and the natives land can't be used by big business, unless there are no natives.....)

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I know where a healthy population of flying squirrels are here in Western North Carolina, it's hillarious, the folks are feeding them on some bird feeders, and right next to the window overlooking the bird feeders where they eat, is a newspaper article talking about that particular variety of them being extinct. I swore never to tell anyone exactly where they are, but there's a BUNCH of them and they are alive and well.

new topics

top topics

join