It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone remember this chat site ....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Freetown it was called.....

anyone could join and if you wanted to become a member, you paid a small fee and then you were known as a "citizen" of Freetown and got extra perks.

I was a "cit" there from 1998-2000 ( I think )

It was a great place, met a lot of great people there... just as I have here.

So any other former Freetown "citz" around ?

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
heey.... no body remembers Freetown ?

come on.... surely somebody does ?

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Theres really a city called Freetown!!

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
i remember that chat site...whatever happened to it???

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Hahah Elevator logged out and responded anon so he wouldn't be alone.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by raven bombshell

No I didn't....

Freetown was awesome. I wish it was still around.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

i didn't see a place to respond without being annonymous lol my name is stephanie....i used to chat in freetown all the time...when did they close it?

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Ahhhhh yeah good ol Freetown, was a citizen there as were my folks, always chatted it up in the Veranda. The names Rackey, Mogwai, or Kasaranda ring a bell? I had almost forgotten about that place, sucks it's no longer around.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Slash

Hi,

I remember those names...

I was biggun

my wife was Blondie.

Do you remember

Starman or Stargirl ?

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Yes those names do sound familiar! I can't quite remember which name I had at the time, I think it was Rackey, but it could have been Zothar. Almost positive it was Rackey, I think it was Zothar at one time and I had it changed, but I'm not sure, it's been soooo long. lol :bnghd:

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I used to Chat in the Veranda in Freetown.

I was Legittius, and my now wife was Patience.

We had contact with Vonnie for some time and still have slight contact with lindsey.

if you remember us [email protected]

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Yes My now wife and I used to be in the Veranda in Freetown all the time.
Through 97-99.

I went as Legittius and my wife was Patience.

we kept in contact with Lindsey, and for a while with Vonnie

I remember names such as Ladyhawk starr but would love to hear from anyone who remembers us.

Legittius at hotmail com

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I remember it quite well, though I can not remember for the life of me what my name was. I think it was Dragun or maybe SgtNUSMCR. I was a COP (moderator of sorts) on there for awhile. That was back in '96 or '97 I believe. Can't believe it's not there anymore. I looked for it a few years ago and it was still there. I seem to remember the names Blondie, biggun and Ladyhawk.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I remember the place well! In fact I found this thread searching Google looking to see if it was still around.
I had a few different names way back then but most (if any haha) should remember me by the name LadyG - I kind of recall the name Slash

I chatted in The Veranda mostly with Jinny, Freefalling and loads of names I can recall :O
I'm actually trying to locate an old friend from there, her name was Altheia (real name Dena) from Kentucky - maybe someone can help?

Julie x
edit on 13-2-2015 by Julzy62 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Julzy62

I remember FREETOWN! I used to hang out at the Beach I think it was?

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: 1GREATLADY

Just found this thread randomly and since I'm fascinated by old internet I did some searching.

Apparently freetown or freetown.com has moved to freetowne.com

I made an account and logged in and it looks like it's still 1997 according to the wayback archive.

There is a user in the chapel named Crash who posted this:

"Hey newbies and former Freetowners, help me repopulate our chat-site...it was gone, but not forgotten...let's bring it back and have some fun.
I see that in every room, users are logging in with no one to chat with, then leaving...timing is a bitch."
"Let's coordinate group meetings and we can go from there...at least this was we can all show up at the same time...same bat-time, same bat chat-room. lol Okay, contact me at this email address and we'll fix what should have never been broken. [email protected]"

I don't know how to begin to find anyone.

It looks like the wayback archive has a citizen list:
web.archive.org...://www.freetown.com/citizens/

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Hi I remember Freetown and I found this forum just doing a random search for it. I used to chat on the Verandah from around 1997 to probably 2000ish.
I used to chat a lot with 2Funny (we are still in contact) and there was also Gala, Matlock, itchy. It was such a great place and a great platform. I miss a lot of people from there.
I was "dotty".
edit on 24-11-2015 by cheriewallace because: added info

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: elevatedone
Totally! I thought I was the only 1 who remembered it! had some great , funny & memorable chats on there back in '97 & '98. Cant remember the room i went in back then tho.
like some others, i googled "freetown.com chat '97 '98" & found this! 1 member mentioned freetowne.com - yes it there! u must register (free) - was totally dead tho! no-1 visits it! & is a lil diff 2 what i remember (i think they coppied the code?) (& it optimized for netscape navigator! - remember that?)
i had a few names back then, but was mainly angel_mist or galaxy_angel might have used taz or taz_au or taz_aus a few times, not sure?
usually just chat 2 diff ppl almost every time, but had a few regulars i'd chat to. cant remember many ofthe names 1 was castor_troy / chandlerterrius, another was my then bestie - za_tygra / za_tygress. as i mentioned, there were others, but 2 long ago 2 remember!
after mid or late '98, i put it on hold 4 some important irl stuff for about 6mths,when i came back, those i knew had gone, & could not find ppl 2 chat to, so after a few times i gave up & tried 6-12mths later, & hadnt returned 2 its 97-98 glory...then it changed it name & addy 2 something i cant remember & got more crap.then that shut shop...
every few yrs, i remember & get nostalgic of '97-'98, my best yrs online & some of the best in life (youthful enthusiasm, lots of dreams & hopes), b4 that was crushed by reality & the real world over the past 17 or 18yrs! was only 16 or 17 back then - so over 1/2 my life ago!) i still laugh @ some random convos i had back on there sometimes!

when i was on there, u didnt have 2 be a member,u could just randomly sign on, like as a guest, it wasnt till later u had 2 be a member, or maybe some rooms were member only & others u could type in ur own guest name.
1 of the funny chats was a guy from usa askin me if we had / what it was like 2 have lions roaming around in the wild of australia - i spent 30min explaining 2 him that they r not aussie animals, but r natives from africa, not aussie natives! - i think he was 15 or 16 y/o... & some other young guy another time i think same sort of covo, but about elephants or tigers - & i'm like - that is africa & asia, not aussie - in aussie we got roo's & koalas! -that was yet another 30-45min convo! there was another guy - late mid teens - early 20's, & he was asking me what it was like 2 get take 2 school in pouch of a roo, & if all aussie kids get take 2 school in pouches of roo's or just some & if we all had pet roo, - i spent like 30-60min going round in circles with him - no we dont have roo's aspects they r wild animals & i zoo's only they r not pets - our pets r same as urs in usa - cats & dogs! - he got his info about what it was like 2 be aussie from the old cartoon - dot & the kangaroo - & so he thought all aussies lived like that! - sooo funny! they r the only convos i remember - all different young blokes, all from usa! i wonder if any of them ended up visiting aussie to find out 4 themselves? u can tell why i remember those convo's!
oh boy, what a diff time back then! ppl were so much more naive & innocent 2 the differences of the world back then, b4 google & myspace (come & gone) & fb & a million other things. a time when we wanted 2 know about the world we looked up encyclopedias & other books & asked on freetown instead of googling it from our puter / laptop / tablet / mobile phone! b4 ipod, b4 iphone, b4 most us us had mobiles, cause mobiles were just 4 rich yuppies who we laughed @!
i miss those days! oh the nostalgia! simpler times, where the future looked right & skipped 2 many classes 2 walk over 1hr 2 get to the public library (which had just 3 or 4 computers for net) to use it 30-60min & then walk over 1hr back 2 highschool! (& that distance walk didnt bother me). we wad 2 net puters @ school with a max limit of 15min & it took 5 min to lad 1 page & 1 was always broken! & 3 others 4 research only - with main emails blocked & used 2 sneek in some chat on freetown whilst "researching", where u had2 flip quick so u wouldnt get caught ('98). not many ppl knew about the net till like '04 - '06
thems were the days.
i've never found a chat site a so good as theearly days of freetown, '97 /'98! i look sometimes, but all them these days just majorly sux! icq was great '98-'02, but suck since, then msn came alon it was ok, then that got sucky & left 2!

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Yup.. I was a regular in there for a few years, I remember the other regulars Lestat, MoonDancer, Moontat, Ginger, 2much, etc. (sorry to all those that I can't think of their chat names right now)..so many relationships that became beyond the chatroom, we'd have each other's phone numbers and talk, get in long distance relationships,etc. some as just friends, some as more.

It was the start of why internet chats became a place that could be anything from a place to make some friends online, to some that led to divorces, lots of drama, but lots of caring too.

What happened as far as I know is that the owner started being a bit nasty with some people. Then the "hackers" came and played, causing a lot of hardships for the owner, and the next generation of kids that were just trolling and annoying. I remember those days fondly as going through a bad time, it helped me to learnt o be more social (even if only online). I traveled to New-York to meet one of the regulars (2much), that while the romance didn't work out, it will always be a great adventure and fond memories, she was a sweetheart that stole my heart more than she'll ever know, and I hope that she's done well in her life.

I was cartman at first, then changed to fallen angel, which I still use as my internet name to this day.

But eventually the dramas took their toll and I lost my friends over time and stupid things, the regulars stopped coming and eventually the place simply died.

The owner missed out on a huge opportunity as Freetown was THE place to chat, and could have evolved, but instead, he concentrated on the childish stuff.

edit on 13-1-2016 by ImfallenAngel because: just a addition to the content.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I WAS A REGULAR ON FREETOWN 1999 - 2001...
I WAS A CITIZEN, MY CHAT NAME WAS KISSFAN
I DON'T REMEMBER THE PUBLIC ROOMS I WENT TO, BUT COMMON PRIVATE ROOM WAS 6969...
HAD LOTS OF FUN IN FREETOWN!!!

top topics

join