It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chernobyl - 2005

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
www.angelfire.com...

Here are some pictures i`ve found (on the internet) about chernobyl and the surronding countries - 18 years after the events of April 26th 1986.

They`ve been updated as well since the last time i checked - it makes for an interesting montage.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I believe this is the official site. Not quite sure though.

kiddofspeed.com...

Crazy stuff, makes me want to go there so bad.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Very weird coincident that you made this thread today. Look at this :

Russian scientist warns of new Chernobyl catastrophe

A leading Russian scientist has claimed that the sarcophagus entombing Chernobyl's nuclear reactor number four is dangerously degraded and warned that its collapse could cause a catastrophe on the same scale as the original accident almost 20 years ago.

Professor Alexei Yablokov, President of the Centre for Russian Environmental Policy, said the concrete and metal sarcophagus was riven with cracks, was already leaking radiation and was at risk of collapse

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I've heard that before. The reactor is still VERY hot, and the concrete is failing from the heat. Scary stuff...

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
wow that lady has got some balls.... haha balls, i wouldnt last long in that ghost town at night -shiver- it wouldjust be to creepy. those pics reminded me of the movie dawn of the dead or 28 days, yikzors! nice find

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
When you drive through there, aren't you supposed to drive as fast as you can with ur windows up or something?

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
From the site you referenced

The plant was closed down for good in 2000. They must build a new sarcophagus soon, because the original one was hastily constructed and is disintegrating.

Only a very small amount of the radiation inside of there had so far actually escaped. More then 90% is still under sarcophagus. I heard with all the concrete they put down, the construction became heavy.. some day it may fall down, get in subterranean waters and leave Europe with no water.

Very interesting

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
i always loved that site

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
www.ukrcam.com...

Thats the tour that you can go on if you want to

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by tondo
wow that lady has got some balls.... haha balls, i wouldnt last long in that ghost town at night -shiver- it wouldjust be to creepy. those pics reminded me of the movie dawn of the dead or 28 days, yikzors! nice find

Funny you should say that, they just filmed Return of the Living Dead 4 there.

August 10, 2004 - Here's a hot new movie location: Chernobyl, site of a catastrophic nuclear meltdown in 1986. The zombie movie "Return of the Living Dead 4: Necropolis" has gained access to the infamous site for two days of shooting. "Chernobyl is very spooky and serves our purpose. We are shooting in all these abandoned towns and villages, with rusting equipment lying around everywhere," said producer Anatoly Fradis. The Chernobyl scenes are for the opening, in which a rogue ex-CIA agent is seen stealing the world's last five canisters of Trioxyn gas, the lifeblood of the living dead.

www.nydailynews.com...

That kidofspeed site is fascinating. Chernobyl was horrific and the radiation extremely deadly, but it would have been amazing to see that forest glowing red and the 'golden' cloud above.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Very interesting...i would love to go there myself and explore around a little bit.

I had an uncle who sadly already died...he was a professor for geology in Poland and he had developed several interesting patents like recovering high worthy materials like gold and silver out of used up computer components....anyways in his earlier years he was often invited to research projects in Russia and also visited places like Chernobyl and Novaia Semlia (spelling?, the russian nuke test site)

He told me once of trees with leaves so big you could wrap yourself in one of it and bugs that were ten times the size they usualy should be...scary stuff up there...

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The Kid of Speed picture gallery was discussed in quite a bit of detail two or three years ago on various bbs and blogs, there were som every good arguments that the story and some of the pics are fishy. I forget the detail, but the license plate on the motorcycle is patently bogus. Pics of Chernobyl are real. The "expedition" probably isn't.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Guess we could screen the Kid of Speed for cancer and find out!

I've read more about this recently. The Ukraine is trying to raise money from other countries to help pay for the new enclosure around the plant. The original one was rated to hold for 50 years, but that was reduced by scientists to 20 years due to the shoddy construction. The 20 years ends next April, 11 months from now. You know what happens to things right after the warranty expires!

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I read 25 pages of that and started to get sick. But thanks, It's good to learn stuff.
I'm surprised that lady has such guts.

apc

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
It is unfortunate i[t] was constructed so poorly, but I guess that's what happens when workers die before they can return to the job.
I have great concerns of what will happen there, because not only will a new casing be immensely expensive, the protective equipment for personnel, which wasn't even used last time, could easily double the costs. And as we all know, the former soviet states aren't exactly all about the bling bling..

[edit on 1-5-2005 by apc]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
What I found curious were her reports of herds, and various forms of wildlife roaming about that seemed unaffected. Strange.
Except in the very town of the reactor of course, where there is a "deafening silence".

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The Belarus KGB are investigating a group which claimed responsibility for an accident at the Chenobyl nuclear power plant in late May.

MosNews - Belarus KGB Probes Terrorists’ Claim of Chernobyl Attack

June 10, 2005

Belarussian security services have set out to establish the origin of a group called the National Liberation Army, which, according to information available on the Internet, claimed responsibility for an accident at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant that allegedly occurred in late May. “We were very alarmed by these rumors, we already have information about where the statement was put on the Internet from. We are doing all we can to investigate,” First Deputy KGB Chairman Vasily Dementei told journalists on Thursday. “It is hard to say how serious the aims of those who distributed this information were,” Dementei was quoted by the Interfax news agency as saying.

Wow, there was an "accident" there recently? I haven´t heard or seen anything about this. This is rumours they say, but they didn´t tell us the last time she blew either (in 1986). Not until some other countries detected the radiation from that accident.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
This has been here before , but nice one posting it again , its been updated quite a bit.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
She says that the radioactivity is still very high in many places, and that many scientists wont go even with protective gear. What amuses me, is she's there without any gear, and taking pictures right next to the plant

top topics

join