It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edison, Ouija, EVP and serious research

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Youve seen the movies, you read about the myths, the stories, some of you have even experienced it first hand. Ghosts, EVP, life after death, ouija boards; these are all things we know and are actually a part of all our lives, but is debunked as fiction. Yet all these things have been around as long as we can date back to, and no serious (i mean serious) research has been put into them.

Thomas Edison a one point in his career

If our personality survives, then it is strictly logical or scientific to assume that it retains memory, intellect, other faculties, and knowledge that we acquire on this Earth.

Yes ok there is the society for EVP and numourous "Ghost hunters" etc....we could go on about all this for hours

The point of this thread is to ask all of you people on ATS to collect information on how we can build a device for speaking to so called "ghosts"

whatever the experience i would like to have some constructive talk on how to build a device,far more sensitive than anything currently used to record evp and other topics mentioned here. the point is so I, or perhaps any of you who take this subject as more than nonsense, or even you out there who want to prove ghosts to be fake! can make a significant step toward understanding (and hopefully proving) what exactly this type of phenomena really is (plus i want to build the device)AA EVP

[edit on 28-4-2005 by Shadow88]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
are you talking about altering a recording device, or building something completely from scratch.

There is light that humans are not able to see, IE infrared and ultra violet... But it is still light waves. The same is for audio. Humans can hear from 20Hz to 20KHz or 20,000Hz. Something would need to be built that would record something that humans can not hear, and translate it into something that will make sense to us, provided EVPs are actually audio waves. Perhaps it has something to do with the magnatism.. in which case you would need to build something that is sensitive to electromagnetic waves. Radio waves work on this principle. What you hear on the radio is actually a magnetic pulse that is picked up by the reciever.

First you need to confirm what type of transmission EVPs are, be it audio, electromagnetic, et cetera. Next you would need to either take a device that already uses that format, and alter it to recieve the specific frequency of EVPs, and lastly you would need to convert the data you record into something that makes sense to the human mind.

Either that or you could get an extremely sensitive microphone, and record the same way, but i dont know if that would help all that much. you would be picking up even the smallest interference, and it could potentially ruin the EVP.

This topic sounds quite interesting though. What exactly are your plans to build it? I would love to be part of the effort!

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
To the above post, what if you were able to isolate each frequency and only playback those with an interesting/uncommon read. Just have a program to search each frequency for differences from normality. That could be a solution for recording on a large scale of frequencies. The problem of what medium is still there.

Good luck, I love the thinktank idea to gather info.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
my wifes bestfreinds husbend killed himself 10 days ago and thay want me to check it out with a tape recorder. my wife was helping her freind move
and she herd a voice say /dont do that/.

I want to check it out but I think it would be weard. me and him spent 2 hours talking the night before he did it, I have always wanted to get a gost on tape but of somebody I know? I dont know im still thinking about it thow.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
You either need to keep a level head or get someone skeptical. Because I know when I start thinking about it, I hear all kinds of weird sh*t. If you don't keep a level head your bound to be chasing ghosts, yes pun intended.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   
you could record a broad range of frequencies and narrow them down, but i see two potential pitfalls to that plan. 1) recording a broad range of audio will not give you the crystal clear recording that a narrow spectrum would give you. yes you could start off broad, and work your way to a narrow band, that had more potential, but the problem would be with the equipment. a reciever built to pick up a broad spectrum will be better suited to picking up "QUANTITY" persey. A reciever built for a narrow spectrum will be better suited to picking up "QUALITY". it depends on what you are looking for. do you want every possible frequency recorded, or do you want the correct frequency to be clear and precise? for this project quality is best. The second pitfall would be 2) using software to pick out certian frequencies from the "normal" ones... specifically what ARE normal frequencies? It would be hard to tell good frequencies from bad ones. and the last problem is still present... what type of transmission are we looking for?

Im sorry if my posts are not coming across clear. I am going for my bachelors degree in electrical engineering, and have spent almost 5 years now studying the whole subect of electronics. My understanding of certian subjects is potentially greater than tha of the average person when it comes to electronics, so it all makes sense to me in my head, yet i find it hard to present my ideas on a "beginners" level, so to speak. Im not very good at giving "lamens terms" haha, please bear with me.

*Has anyone confirmed recording EVPs on digital media? i know they work on casette tapes, but i am curious as to whether they work on a fully digital recorder, IE no tapes or moving parts, the audio is saved to something like a flash stick or something similar???

*EDIT: edited to throw in that last question denoted with an asterisk.

[edit on 28-4-2005 by Demonic Aura]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
ok...so we know so far that tape recordings can pick them up...so more to the point whatever they are they can be pick up on UHF.

i have been reding up on it and apparently large areas of high electrognecity can amplify the EVP "emmisions"
so perhaps a device that emits an intense EM field combined with a recording device (but more powerful/sensitive than anything you can buy on the high street) but it cant be digital as the EM field would fry the recorder, defeating the object.

- As a thought, how about a spherical electromagnet, it wouldnt be any use as magnet but it could create a bubble of electromagnetic energy, theoretically amplifying the desired affect. then place the mic inside this invisible bubble and see what happens.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Slayfan could you send me the file??? there is a way to check if it is just static that sounds similar to a voice or that resembles a voice, or actual voices.

while the sound you hear to people may sound like a voice but the actual frequency of it will tell you conclusively.

[edit on 29-4-2005 by Shadow88]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
so tape can definatly pick them up. Tape uses little magnetic bits on the actual tape, and depending on the alignment of the magnetic bits, different sounds will come out of the speaker. An electro magnetic feild could potentially alter the alignment of these magnetic particles, and thus produce the EVP. I dont see any harm in testing this out for real, and i am not trying to debunk anything, just stating various problems that may arise.

And as for the medium.. humans can not hear the voices initially, but a tape recorder will record the voices.. correct? Either the EVP is outside of the spectrum of frequencies that a human can hear, or EVPs are really electromagnetic interference, in which case humans still would not be able to hear EM waves.. I will have to look into this further.

I am still curious to know if anyone can confirm an EVP recorded on digital media.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Stuff I have read on this on the net show people recording with all manner of things.

One thing was a mic made to get really low sounds. It was like
a condom stretched over a can, and placed inside a sound proof box so only the condom part was exposed. I cant remember now but there was something attached to the condom so that virations would be turned into the impulses (like in a normal mike except this one is home made for low sounds) and the impulses are recorded. Then you amplify on play back.

Wind that you cant hear with your ear can make it sound like voice on the tape.

Ok..now you should know that
1. People cannot come back and talk to you.
2. If something is pretending to be HIM...it is demonic.
3. I've got no reason to lie to you. They never have a good purpose in mind.
Yes...those voices are real. Those boards and cards really do stuff. Its demonic in nature. No one beyond the grave comes back to you.

Im not saying this to argue about what happens when we die. Im only warning you because if I didnt, God wouldnt be very happy with me.

That said...
when you go forward with this, and if you end up being in over your head..
go to www.tribulationforces.com
go to their forum and do a prayer request. God does answer his children, regardless of what you may have heard.

I look forward to see how this turns out.

Act 19:13 Some itinerant Jewish exorcists who happened to be in town at the time tried their hand at what they assumed to be Paul's "game." They pronounced the name of the Master Jesus over victims of evil spirits, saying, "I command you by the Jesus preached by Paul!"
Act 19:14 The seven sons of a certain Sceva, a Jewish high priest, were trying to do this on a man
Act 19:15 when the evil spirit talked back: "I know Jesus and I've heard of Paul, but who are you?"
Act 19:16 Then the possessed man went berserk--jumped the exorcists, beat them up, and tore off their clothes. Naked and bloody, they got away as best they could.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Yes i find it quite irritating that people dont believe in ghosts yet other people do ouijja boards and have voices and objects flying around and windows blasting open. the evidence is right there and the topic deserves some real scientific study but no one is willing to give it a chance as it is shrouded in fairy tale. thats what i want to discuss. getting the small amount of data and research from the tons of myth and garbage.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   
well the theory goes that "the dead voices" are so weak that not much can hear them, perhaps a dog could hear them a bit, i dont know. but these "dead are supposed to use the tapes or electro fields (the cathod ray device edison made) to amplify themselves, who are apperently in a different form of energy at the time. with this amplification the tape recorder or etc can subsequently pick these amplified energy vibrations up, in fact yes they are not voices, but the theory goes that these "ghosts" or "energy beings" or "essence of our former selves" or whatever they are manipulate the waste static vibrations (that are far too weak normally)that are already there to sound on the recorder like like coherent speech.

maybe we are looking at this from the wrong angle. instead of trying to
find new ways of recording these "signals", perhaps we should find a way to assist in amplifying the signals themselves before they are recorded, by possibly finding what makes the evp sounds tick and intensifying them.

(think of it as an electromagnet. if you wanted to pick up more paperclips, you feed more electricity into the electromagnet, you dont turn the still weak electromagnet to different angles and see if its stronger elsewhere on itself)

[edit on 30-4-2005 by Shadow88]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I have no doubt its real. It is going to get worse as the trib gets closer.

You can prolly go to radio shack and pick up a cheap amplifier mic.

KNow this...
If the demons want you to know they are there, they will let you know. You wont need all of that extra stuff.

That mic I was talking about, ... the people would leave it alone in an area reported to be haunted with sounds or light effects...and then come back and collect it, and investigate it.

Do you have a way to get magnetic cassette recordings onto your computer?

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Since they have been recorded on all types of media, it most likely has nothing to do with magnetism... Hmm

Those last two posts have left me very curious.. I have a decent audio editing program that i would like to try to analyze an EVP file with. What is the best way to record an EVP onto my computer? Should i record myself asking a question and then record the following few seconds of nothingness i hear? Is there a more effective way?

My thoughts are that if i can record regular static, and edit the waveform of the static, clean it up and amplify it a bit, maybe i can pick out certian "leads". What you were saying was that all static could potentially contain EVPs, but humans can only hear the strong ones without any form of amplification. So if i amplify normal static, maybe i could begin to hear the weak ones?

But yeah, i would appreciate the help if someone could leave effective steps to record an EVP. Thanks

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
jake this is accurate but old news. we already know how to do this but what we currently get is either crackly or faint. what we are trying to do is devise a piece of technology so that we can "bring the gap" so to speak and amplify whatever is causing evp, not just recording the faint evp. we want to amplify the actual noise, not the recording. once that is done the actual recording will be clearer and louder anyway

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Ok, i will run a little test. Ill build an electromagnet, and test the effictive EM field distance from the magnet. I will play a KNOWN song in the back ground and record it with my recorder while slowly moving the recorder closer to the EM field. The recorder will move at a constant rate. I will see how the EM field effects how the music is picked up.

Next i will record with complete silence, and the magnet will be off. I will record 30 seconds of quiet which will make "static". After thirty seconds are over i will turn the magnet on, and record for another thirty. after that i can compare how the first half of the static sounds compared to the second half.

If there is a significant difference, i will analyze the audio with my program. If there is NO significant difference i will try making a stronger EM field.

*does anyone see any potential flaws in this test?*

I will post my results as soon as i finish, i cant give a time estimate.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
No flaws really that is a gud place to start as any.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The only reason I asked about moving from cassette to computer was so I could play with it in cool edit.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
digital shouldnt be able to pick evp up as well, because, well, its digital, set o and 1 frequencies, tape is analogue, and able to pick up static and higher random frequencies.

if you then want to move it onto the computer thats fine. (unless thats what you meant in the first place??? if so ignore that)

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The Penn and Teller Show Bull# investigated this stuff. Ouija Boards are bull#, and waiting on a BS episode for EVPs.

So saying NO ONE is wrong, for people do. Or The Atlantic Paranormal Society have footage/EVP stuff. They were on Sci Fi but then they got to good so Sci Fi had to cancel it.(Why? Finally get a good show and it gets canceled while shows that suck live FOREVER! Futurama? Nooooo.... to good of a show, but Will and Grace? Season after season after season........)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join