It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Changes Rules Again to Allow DeLay Probe (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
After raising the bar on Ethics Committee voting rules in January, effectively shielding DeLay from an investigation, Congress has reversed itself, allowing the bi-partisan committee to foward an inquiry when their vote on it is split evenly. Previously, the rules required a majority vote on the committee before an inquiry could continue.

www.boston.com...

The House, with grudging Republican support, voted Wednesday to reverse GOP ethics rules that Democrats charged were designed to protect Majority Leader Tom DeLay.

The Republicans heeded Speaker Dennis Hastert's call for a retreat to end a deadlock that has kept the evenly divided ethics panel from functioning. The vote was 406-20, with all votes against the resolution cast by Republicans.

This is a major concession by the Republican controlled Congress. The perception of the previous legislation being a deliberate shield for DeLay could have ended up seriously undermining the credibility of the GOP. Big victory for the Democratic minority, as well as for the concept of accountable government.

[edit on 28-4-2005 by Icarus Rising]

[edit on 28-4-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Yeah the Dems got this, even though I think they are unfairly going after DeLay.

I bet the Republicans felt they had to do this since the Senate judicial filibuster is going to be broken and they don't want allegations of abuse of power clouding both chambers.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Another forum is not the best source link.

Sanc'.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
and I am beginning to wonder if maybe there isn't some kind of connection bwteen the two issues. By any chance, could all these controversial judges be providing a clear path to the supreme court for the Delays of the world? Enron, Halliburton, ect. I mean, you really don't have to control the whole judicial, just enough of it, to guarentee that your people will control weather or not a case will hear an appeal, or decide on the cases...and then of course, the Supreme court would be nice, but, maybe no as badly needed.
not making any accusations, just wondering.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
A victory for the dems AND republicans....

an obvious violation such as Delay commited should always be condemed...

otherwise all the politicans start to smell fishy...

plus, this might prevent the other violations that are commonly commited from being considered.

yes, Delay is the whipping boy, and the public example, but NOT the only one guilty.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Lazarus I agree with you........perhaps all involved in this type of practices in the congress should be put in the open so we th people knows who is financing our politicians in both side of the political arena.

I see it this way perhaps is not such a victory for the Democrats after all but for the Republicans if they are willing to used Delay as a fall guy and go after the democrats that has been doing the same.

I kind of see that is a big power struggle in the senate and I see a lot of people caught in the fire.

Perhaps is not always good to get what you wish for it.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The Republicans "conceded"? LOL LOL LOL

I wonder why.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I was wondering why the word "conceded" was used, too, dg. Nancy Pelosi got pretty upset when the Republicans said they'd revamp the ethics committee rules to be fair. Apparently, there are 5 prominent Democrats who have done the same thing as DeLay, and worse, including Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, and Ted Kennedy. By trying to demonize DeLay, they just opened a can of worms that I really hope the Republicans delve into.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
oh....I hope the dems keep digging too, by the time they are done, they'll have succeeded in convincing just about all of the population that they're all corrupt as all heck and should be booted out.

top topics

join