It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the US and Russia destoyed an asteroid?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
On April 28th, George Noorey, host of coast to coast am reported that there were stories circulating that a joint American Russian effort destroyed an asteroid with missiles. I have made a cursory search for any details on this story. Does anyone have any details on this? If it's true, it certainly means that the "powers that be" are certainly taking the asteroid threat seriously. George also mentioned that meteors/debris were seen entering the Earths' atmosphere. This is quite a story if it's true. I'd love to get more details on this particular story

[edit on 4/28/2005 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
hmm only thing that I can think of was a thread that said us and russia were luanching hundreds of missles in the north pole area....

not sure how credible it was but it's a thought.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Here's a thread with some info. Not much info on what they might have been firing at, or the most credible sources.

Official explanation from Russia.

NEW LINK here

The strangeness to these missile launches is further compounded by the reporting of these events as being a part of defense wargame between Russia and the United States, and of which no one has had any prior knowledge of. Neither was there any announcement to the Russian peoples by the Defense Ministry prior to these launches, only afterwards when reports began to be received from these Arctic Regions has the Defense Ministry issued these reports of wargames.”

The firing of these thousands of missiles has apparently been successful, and news reports from the Northern Hemisphere Regions confirm the raining down of the debris from this asteroid all across this vast region.

[edit on 4/28/2005 by eaglewingz]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
It seems like a good idea that if we were to protect ourselves from a meteor we should try to deflect, destroy, or vaporize a few before we're counting the seconds to impact from a real asteroid threat. Like shooting tin cans and clay pigeons before you go hunting. Add this to the fact that we don't really know what a nuclear warhead would do to an asteroid.

Honestly though, this sounds like a rumor:

1) In all likelihood, if we were to fire a nuclear missile at a doomsday asteroid it would scatter it into pieces and would hit the planet like shot from a shotgun and spread the damage over a wide area. So unless they built a nuke big enough to shatter an asteroid that is miles across into pieces less than a foot across nukes would not be a good idea. There is the option of using multiple small nukes to try to "bump" the asteroid, but again what if the rock splits apart?

2) Such international collaboration would be a perfect media opportunity. Double thinking on this.... It might make China and/or NK a little uneasy. But overall I think that it would be an acceptable risk to take and would overall be taken well by the international community.

A point for this is that possibly they might have wanted to do this secretly to keep international do-gooders out of the way such as Greenpeace. Greenpeace (and others) have repeatedly bulked at plutonium being launched into space because of the possibility of widespread radiological "dust" if ever there was a mishap.

[edit on 28/4/2005 by Seth76]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Thanks for the links eaglewingz, I was under the impression that they may have just been testing, perhaps otherwise...

...and nice sig

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
i was just talking about something of this sort the other day with a fellow programmer, interesting stuff

it sounds pretty impossible, but then again we never know, the speeds these things are travelling etc. can we even target something that isnt in our atmosphere? sounds like well need some new technology. i think a missle would probably disintigrate as it leaves our atmosphere as it passes through igniting it?

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Ballistic missiles go into space and then basically just fall back to their tarket ''ballistic arc'' they fall with an extremely high velocity which is why it is so hard to intercept them.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I dont know if any you here are like prediction fantic or not, but weren't we suppose to get hit by an astroid in 2005 or something?

So does this mean there's a secert agencies working the shadows, preventing many globel disasters from happening? Well, I don't know, but I bet after this some guy read this assumption, he would create a whole new thread because of this, and cause other crazie people to go add on this crazy assumption.

Example:
Like why Titor prediction hasn't been happening because "the man" is stopping all crazie events or whatever....Titor is a fake though, but hey its your life, believe what you want to believe

------------------------------

This reminds me of the game Missle Command.....man wouldnt you love to work in one of those outpost near a city, shooting alien spacecraft and astroids.

[edit on 28-4-2005 by skyblueff0]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   
ive heard this rumour too on various internet forums.

I hope the following is of some use.

Asteroid Targeted by Massive United States and Russian Military Forces Missile Launch Hit and Destroyed, Debris Rains down Upon Northern Hemispheric R

www.whatdoesitmean.com...

Speculation among many of the earth’s scientists today is that the joint effort by United States and Russian Space Forces have successfully targeted, and destroyed, an immense asteroid that had been headed towards our planet.

In our report of April 13th titled “Thousands of Missiles Fired by both Russian and United States Military Forces over Earths Arctic Regions as Large Cosmic Blasts Continue Hitting Planet" we had stated;

“Strange reports have reached us today from our Arctic Regions describing thousands of missile launches from both Russian and American military forces, and from both land based and aircraft launched these missiles that are being directed out of the earth’s atmosphere into the outer space regions of our planets atmosphere.

From various news services however there is being reported that Russia and the United States are conducting Missile Defense Wargames, and as we can read as reported by the Moscow Times News Service in their article titled "Russia, U.S. Launch Joint Missile Defence Wargames", and which says, "Russia and the United States have begun joint missile defence wargames aimed at protecting vital installations in a third country in the course of future international operations, a Russian Defence Ministry release said Monday. The wargames will last until April 23.

[edit on 4/29/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
The problem with this is that, as far as I understand, it's very difficult to get something to reach escape velocity at the Earth's poles. The reason they launch stuff into space from Florida in the US is because it's closer to the equator, where the Earth is spinning the most and where it's easier to achieve escape velocity from. Near the poles, however, there is little or no rotation, and I don't know if it is possible to launch things into outer-space from there without the initial velocity they would get nearer the equator. Even if it is possible, it would be much more difficult and costly in terms of energy expenditure, which makes launching thousands of objects into space sound like it might be prohibitively expensive to me.

Just a thought.

[edit on 29-4-2005 by spngsambigpants]

new topics

top topics

join