It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What to believe? + Plato's own thoughts on the UNKNOWN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Plato beautifully describes the delema of to "believe or not to belleve" in the unknown, in the "Allegory of the Cave" This perfectley relates to believing in aliens
theosophy.org...
read it and u will see what is going on in the world today

Badically it describes how we are all chained, not being able to move, and only seeing the shadows on the wall. We are not able to turn around and see the ligh, however when someone does break loose and see the light, no one believes him or her when he tells the "still changed" what he has seen. And it goes on.

[edit on 27-4-2005 by tondo]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Tondo,
Thank you for posting that. I had forgotten all about the cave for many years. Since I was in college in fact.
It is a perfect example of the nature of man. Reality is perception and perception takes on the form of reality.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I actually studied and had to read many of Plato's works in the beginning of the year, and this was one of them. Its amazing how he came up with these ideas, its aslo amazing how his thoughts could apply to so many things and last throughout the ages.

I hope everyone that is an avid alien enthusiest reads this, it explains why people have trouble believing best

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
"I can not tell you about the Matrix, it is something you have to see for yourself"

That seems like it can be applied to how we are presently living, we truely are oblivious(atleast most) to what is truely happening in our world/universe. If only we could all cut our chains and see what is really going on.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tondo

I hope everyone that is an avid alien enthusiest reads this, it explains why people have trouble believing best

It also explains why so many believe what they do. Plato also said, quite rightly, that every situation and every reality is a double edged sword, capable of cutting both ways.
Have you had a chance to read anything by Macheovelli, such as Discourses or The Prince. Those books will explain how we are governed and manipulated by the powers that be. After reading these books, the mystery will begin to fade, rapidly. There is nothing new under the sun.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
".....Perhaps there is a pattern set up in the heavens for one who desires to see it, and having seen it, to find one in himself."
-- PLATO --

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I've really forgotten, through the years, how interesting Plato and some of the other Greeks were.
I may have to embark on a journey too rediscover those old guys.
Do I still have any of those books? HMMM....

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
although i havent read the whole "Prince" I have read most of it, i know i read all of the things that dealt with how rulers ruled and how they come into power and such. lol one of my teachers must have the prince as his bible lol, thats the only way he teaches.

getting to the matrix, the matrix as well as many other modern day beliefs build off of Plato's ideas. I just hope more ppl read this, so much can be gained from it

new topics

top topics

join