It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoenix and F-14s

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Is the Tomcat the only plane able to carry the phoenix missle?

When the Tomcat is phased out in favour of the incoming JSF won't the USN be missing a capable long range interceptor?

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 09:07 AM
link   
To simply put it.. YES the f-14 variants are only planes that were ever able to carry and fire aim-54 phoniex series long-range aam.. f-18 was considired to be carrier.. but it never happened..

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The Pheonix system is still a awesome system...no denying it. The F-14 is also a awesome aircraft, but with current models of F-18 E/F series, they are just as good. Though the Pheonix system may not be implemented on the F-18's, the current a2a missiles AIM-9x's and AIM-120's continue to make this aircraft one kickarse piece of avionics in the modern world today.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The Phoenix is getting pretty old. During two occasions when F-14s fired AIM-54s from long range at Iraqi Migs the missiles missed their target. The Navy needs to develop a new long range air to air missile.

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:16 PM
link   
i would agree that the Military needs to develop a new long range missile, and make it compatible with present systems (and near future systems - JSF, F-22, etc...) we have the best Short and Medium range missiles, time to get a good long range

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The AMRAAM-120's (AIM-120) is a BVR missile and a very good one at that.
The AIM-9x's are mid-BVR to WVR (within visual range) missiles with limited thrust vectoring and able to do a virtual 90 degree turn to hit a target.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The AMRAAM is a medium range missile (even says it in the name) the AIM-9X is a short range missile, the only long range missile in our arsenal is the AIM-154 and it's rather old and only carried by one platform which is soon to be retired, we need a new long range

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:27 PM
link   
oppps, your right, my bad.......my apologies...my thought process was lagging behind my typing. I was in the midst of editing the above when I saw you post the correction KKing....my mistake and good job on the correction.

Thank you.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Raytheon is currently working on a FMRAAM a2a missile for the US which will have full BVRAAM requirements and capabilities.

The British, BAe, are working on the Meteor as their BVRAAM.

www.fas.org...

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 28-7-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Raytheon is currently working on a FMRAAM a2a missile for the US which will have full BVRAAM requirements and capabilities.

The British, BAe, are working on the Meteor as their BVRAAM.

www.fas.org...

regards
seekerof

hmm the link dont work, whats its range?

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Just fixed it $tranger...currently trying to get the Russian one on also....I haven't forgotten about you.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Just fixed it $tranger...currently trying to get the Russian one on also....I haven't forgotten about you.

regards
seekerof

heh i posted it long time ago.

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:52 PM
link   
KS-172 AAM-L is the name

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Cool $tranger.
Cause all I found was this site, doing a quick search:
www.wonderland.org.nz...

The R-77, R-77MI, and the R-37.
I pretty much think everyone is working on a version....I think I read today that India is and I forgot soem others....
Thanks for the info on the 172.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a mig-31 equiped with them will cause a friggin havoc

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I would prefer they be on those beautiful Sukhoi's friend $tranger....hehehe

One lovely aircraft bud....I give you hard time about stuff, but its alot in jest, BUT the Sukhoi's are simply beautiful. My compliments to the chef.....

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 04:07 AM
link   
For those guys following the developement of the F-22, know that there is a Bomber Version of the F-22 Raptor the (FB-22). This will surtainly be able to carry the phoenix missle. The FB-22 has an internal bomb bay and also external mounts.
$tranger please advise.

[Edited on 28-7-2003 by barba007]

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 08:59 AM
link   
You have to remember, the Phoenix was designed and built to counter massive Soviet bomber raids on CVBG's. The missle was not designed to go after fighter size aircraft and hence is not maneouverable enough to consistently take fighters out. It is blindingly fast and almost exoatmospheric during it's flight, and this limits what it can successfully intercept. Since no one presently has a bomber fleet capable of a 200 mile attack on a CVBG with ASM's we really do not need anything with range in excess of the AMRAAM ( what, 40 miles or so?). I just not happy with retiring a platform with the capabilities of an F-14D.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by barba007
For those guys following the developement of the F-22, know that there is a Bomber Version of the F-22 Raptor the (FB-22). This will surtainly be able to carry the phoenix missle. The FB-22 has an internal bomb bay and also external mounts.
$tranger please advise.

[Edited on 28-7-2003 by barba007]

The FB-22 is still a conceptual future design and variation of the F-22 platform. The biggest difference between the two is the wing, which would be very close to a 'delta wing' configuration. It is not exactly a 'delta wing' but a much bigger wing, which would increase the amount of space that could carry bombs/ordinance. Yhe longer, thicker 'delta wing' would enable the FB-22 to carry up to 80% more fuel than the current F-22 design equating to a greater mission range.

The F-22 currently will deploy with Pratt & Whitney F-119 engines, the FB-22 is likely to have either the new F-135 engines, which were developed from the F-119 to power the new F-35 JSF, or the rival F-136 General ELectric engines. In either event, the FB-22 would have a greater speed than the B1-B, which is currently the US's fastest bomber.

Articles:
www.popsci.com...
www.globalsecurity.org...

Its conncetion to the X-44 "Manta": Multi-axis no-tail aircraft.
www.globalsecurity.org...

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The FB-22, which I think is a great idea to solve the problems they've had with the current bomber fleet, might not happen. Ther has already been talk of canceling the X-44, and if they don't try out thrust vectoring for stablization in place of vert. stabilizers on an X-Plane first, I don't see them putting on a production aircraft.

<<   2 >>

join