It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dont sleep and get diabetes!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Too Little Sleep Could Cause Diabetes

WEDNESDAY, April 27 (HealthDay News) -- If your schedule robs you of slumber, you may be setting yourself up for diabetes.

But don't press the snooze bar too many times, because oversleeping might bring the same result.

Those are the surprising findings of a new study that suggests too little or too much sleep could lead to the blood sugar disease, at least in older people.
Linky

If this is true it doesnt look to good in my future. I am a total insomniac.
The scientists are now saying that the 7-8 hour is the best way to avoid this.

Compared with those who slept seven to eight hours, those who slept fewer than five hours were 2.5 times more likely to have diabetes. The diabetes rate was slightly lower -- 1.7 times -- for those who slept six hours.

The diabetes rates were also higher -- by 1.7 times -- for those who slept more than nine hours.

[edit on 4/27/2005 by Croat56]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Well I am ok, then I still have a nice night sleep of 7 to 8 hours, and diabetes is not in my family history either.

Some people's life are so stressful that is hard to relax and sleep, and some just don't need many hours for sleep.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I think people do not know why we need 8 hours of sleep. It is because we function on a 24 hour clock. Let me present you with a scenario:

I wake up at 11 AM. It was a late night, and I only have 12 hours left in my day! At 11 AM, I am aware that I have to get up at 5 AM. That's only 6 hours, is that going to mean I get diabetes. No, not only that, I actually got a FULL night's sleep.

You see, we build up a sleep debt, a simple rule of the thumb is for every two hours you stay awake, you need 1 hour of sleep. A lot of people don't get that, but it is important to know, the body's craving for a variety of sleep times is not 8 hours. It isn't a number thrown around.

A NORMAL (and I doubt anyone does this) is wake for 16 hours, and asleep for 8. It fits perfectly with the earth's rotation. This way, businesses can open up, at the same time every day.

Though I doubt people get 8 hours, most people I know, still watch the 11 o clock news, and get up for work at 5!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I function fine on 6 hours of sleep anything less and I am a wreck, more than 8 and I am lethargic for the rest of the day. I think not getting enough sleep is more closely related to stress, which can contribute to many other medical problems not only diabetes.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Yes we can train our bodies to follow a pattern of sleep, when is broken is hard to go back to it.

Also I got to bed usually at 11:30 but I can not stay in bed past 8:00 I just can not, my body becomes restless.

Funny how we trained our bodies to sleep.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Well. I'm not going to deny that sleep isn't good for your health. A good night's sleep is great for the skin, slows the process of aging, and helps to keep you mentally alert. However, I think that there are far more pressing matters that cause diabetes besides lack of sleep. Americans consume WAY too much artificial sugars and junk food which our body has a hard time processing. Some diabetes is genetically linked, and most cases of adult diabetes is caused from a poor choice in diets that stems from childhood on. People who are and possibly still are sugarholics. Teach your kids to eat healthy starting at an early age and as long as it's not genetically passed on, you should be ok.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
dang u beat me to it (damn school) this is my link to it articles.health.msn.com...

and ya i usually on averege sleep only about like 4-6 houres of sleep a day (except on weekend when i can sleep in). im not sure if this is true though because i know a lot of people who have diabetes and they get lots of sleep. rather me and a lot of other people i know dont get that much sleep and dont have it

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I function fine on 6 hours of sleep anything less and I am a wreck, more than 8 and I am lethargic for the rest of the day. I think not getting enough sleep is more closely related to stress, which can contribute to many other medical problems not only diabetes.

Dammit, she stole my post, except I would've said slug instead of lethargic.

That's a personal thing, though, many people (my brother) need a lot more, 10 hours a night, and it's hell when they don't get it. People are just different at times.

Out of curiousity ww, are you good at going for periods of time without food?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
You guys are lucky, I can never fall asleep. I find myself often not being able to fall asleep for hours, then when I finally fall asleep I do it for like 11 hours. Man I hope I dont get diabetes, I was actually very close to getting it last year. Good thing im sleeping better now.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
well this is a nice thing to hear since i just made a post 2 nights ago asking for tips on how to help insomnia.....

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
i used to have insomnia 2 or so years ago, and for some tips i would say you shouldnt have a clock in your room, try to relaxe or make every part of your body comfertable and maybe put on some music.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I have sleep apnea for several years now and wear a breathing mask hooked to a small electrical air pump that has air on demand at a set pressure and I can now get a good nights sleep.Most people with sleep apnea get diabetes and I got it a couple years ago.I was also over weight witch has made be prone to sleep apnea and diabetes.I am loosing weight and have lost over 30lbs and want to loose another 20.My sugar levels are just about back to normal but I still need my breathing machine (CPAP)

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by colsislander
I have sleep apnea for several years now and wear a breathing mask hooked to a small electrical air pump that has air on demand at a set pressure and I can now get a good nights sleep.Most people with sleep apnea get diabetes and I got it a couple years ago.I was also over weight witch has made be prone to sleep apnea and diabetes.I am loosing weight and have lost over 30lbs and want to loose another 20.My sugar levels are just about back to normal but I still need my breathing machine (CPAP)

Your sleep apnea was brought on by being overweight and out of shape, and being overweight and not eating right resulted in you acquiring diabetes as well. Sleep apnea is completely different from sleeping too much (9 hours) or not enough (3 hours of deep sleep with REM motion). Sleep Apnea is when your breathing ceases while you are sleeping and causes people to wake up as much as 100 times in one night. Sleep apnea prevents you from ever getting "deep sleep"/R.E.M. sleep which is needed to repair and relax the body, which is what makes sleep apnea such a big problem. The sleep apnea is a little trickier to fix, but as you said your blood sugar levels have gone down since you lost the weight. This whole thing about too much or not enough sleep causes diabetes is a little far fetched. I stick with my earlier comment about diet, exercise, managing your weight, and genes being the major causes of diabetes. Sleep is important for many reasons and may be a contributor but if you eat well, exercise daily, are not pre-disposed to diabetes in your family, maintain a healthy weight with good blood pressure and cholesterol levels, your chances of acquiring diabetes are pretty slim.

top topics

join