It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Space Elevator Plant To Open This Summer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Xeven - Liftport is for real. They seem to of been in the news quite a lot recently reguarding competitions for lifting mechanisms for the tether and the recent factory to be produced. You should go to their site and see if stocks are available.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
and what were those health issues with nanostructures, getting into the environment?

And what happens if I take a camera flash picture of this thing? (poof!)

This is hype, pump the startup crap just like the dot-com bubble. Corporate snake oil to sucker a few rich boy VC's with more money than brains.

In less than 2 years, you'll find their offices vacant, with a chain on the door, and a note saying rent is due. Maybe some toxic waste when it's found carbon nanofragments are dangerous.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Phugedaboudet, you should do your research and you'll realize that ALOT of people are taking this serously. Space Tether have different applications other then transport. You can drag a Space Tether behind the shuttle to generate current.

and what were those health issues with nanostructures, getting into the environment?

Coatings and different formulations can nearly elimate that

And what happens if I take a camera flash picture of this thing? (poof!)

Again same as above. Except I belive they have already managed to eliminate that problem.

In less than 2 years, you'll find their offices vacant, with a chain on the door, and a note saying rent is due. Maybe some toxic waste when it's found carbon nanofragments are dangerous.

Maybe, maybe not and you're taking it for granted that Nanofragments will be that dangerous, actually we know quite alot about Nanotube toxicity(and it's not all that toxic after all) The biggest worry is if you inhale a large amount(like Grams at once) it might clump together electrostatically and block the airways, would require a massive dose though...

[edit on 28-4-2005 by sardion2000]

[edit on 28-4-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I was wondering how they were gonna get it up, so I emailed them and got this as a reply.

The simple answer is that the basic ribbon is built on earth, then sent
aloft in bundles. Dr. Edwards guesstimate is seven Shuttle flights or
that many Delta IV launches to accomplish the taks.

Assembled in orbit. The near end is 'lowered' to ground while the
bitter end unreels to, and past GEO. Now we've got a ribbon that is
capable of supporting itself, but sending tons of cargo up is going to
be iffy.

The first several hundred lifters are construction bots. They add
layers to the ribbon, providing taper and strength. The lifters end up
at the far end to add to the counterweight.

All of this is subject to more study and revision of course, but I would
be surprised if the finally deployment plan differed much from that
outlined.

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator
Liftport

Basically what you all said, and what I thought. You've gotta lower it to work, and then wrap it to make it stronger. I was surprised at how well thought out they seem to be about this thing, it should be VERY interesting to watch over the next few years.

Originally posted by Red Golem
Earth moon elevator is not possible. Think of the orbit and rotation of the earth.

"Easy." You can build ring around the respective bodies and the elevatormoves along inside of that like a rail.

When I say easy, I mean really, really hard. The amount of material needed to cross the 250,000 miles, AND to build the two rings is absurd. The money to fund all of that is equally absurd. You'd need to win the lottery, and then with each dollar you get buy a different lottery ticket, and get the jackpot with each one. You probably wouldn't have enough.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
What is it with ATS and new ideas (or the realization of old ones in this case)? Why are they always crapped on by the people here? The flying cars, space elevator, soundless stereo system, no matter what it is, if it's a new invention with great potential benefit to humanity, it's freakin' poo-pooed.

It's infuriating really... Not that there aren't a thousand things to get pissed off by on this site... I think it's time they did away witht that meaningless and ironic motto...

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Amorymeltzer
Thanks a bunch for posting that replay you got from the Lift Port Admin.
Also thanks for checking your self with your solution to earth moon elevator

I got to admit it will be neat if any of this happens. But I have just heard of many good ideas and seen not to many come to pass. I kina fear this one might be the same.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Red Golem
I got to admit it will be neat if any of this happens. But I have just heard of many good ideas and seen not to many come to pass. I kina fear this one might be the same.

Thanks RG. I actually just decided to do the research paper portion of my senior portfolio on this topic. It should be really fun and worthwhile.

I know what you mean. I was and still am very surprised at how fleshed out their idea is. They did pretty much everything the way I though they would've, I'm really glad to see that. My only issue is monetary funds, but, you know, as always.

Fingers crossed!

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Mr Laine leaves out a major roadblock with his space elevator discussions. Namely the problem created by a highly variable (speed and course) of the Jet Stream. The wind shear alone would play that strap like a harp string. Also the passage of the elevator thru this high speed current of air would rip loose any payload sent up.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join