It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time For A Liberal Change???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I myself do not support the Liberal Democrats and will continue to vote Labour.

BUT i am not saying that Labour is perfect.

Labour and the Conservatives have been the two main political parties in Britain for a very long time now and have shared the government over the years.

Is it time for Britain to give the underdgogs a chance?

In the last few years of Thatchers reign the Tory party began to destroy Britain and it has taken a long time for Tony Blair and the Labour party to rebuild what was once a great nation. But could the Liberal Democrats do any better.

If they were voted into power just once, we would have a chance to see what they are capable of, and if they wernt up to the job, simply vote them back out four years down the line.

They must be given a chance one day but when will that day come???

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Lib dems will do very well this time around, sometime in the near future they will gain power, but not yet. They have a good chance of getting 2nd place at the election, but i cannot see them gaining power just yet.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   

They have a good chance of getting 2nd place at the election, but i cannot see them gaining power just yet.

I would love to see them beat the Tories at the General Election. How Funny!!!

I personally would not vote for them, but i too can see them gaining power in the next decade.

Lets hope they take us forwards unlike the Tories!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The tories are a dying party,
but the lib dems will make a decent impact at this election because now its a 3 party election not two.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   

The tories are a dying party

Agreed! The party started dying just before Thatcher was kicked out of power!

And its definetly a 3 party race this time!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
Agreed! The party started dying just before Thatcher was kicked out of power!

And its definetly a 3 party race this time!!!

I feel this will be the last major election for the tories, UKIP will probably still some of the voters and rest will drift out to lib dem or other parties.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   

UKIP will probably still some of the voters and rest will drift out to lib dem or other parties.

I think Labour have it in the bag this time but in four years time the Liberal's will be pushing hard and like you said the UKIP will be beginning to show some strength!

I pedict both LD and UKIP governments within the next 16 years!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I pedict both LD and UKIP governments within the next 16 years!

Hmm...im not sure about UKIP government, need to think about that. If we join the single European government, UKIP may get a shout if that turns out bad, but im not sure to be honest about a UKIP government.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Hmm...im not sure about UKIP government, need to think about that. If we join the single European government, UKIP may get a shout if that turns out bad, but im not sure to be honest about a UKIP government.

Im not saying it would be a good thing or that i agree with it, but say in the future we join the Euro and give all power to the EU, then the people get sick of it, alot of people would probs then vote UKIP. Dont you think???

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Im not saying it would be a good thing or that i agree with it, but say in the future we join the Euro and give all power to the EU, then the people get sick of it, alot of people would probs then vote UKIP. Dont you think???

Yeah thats true,

it all depends on the future of the EU, will it or won't it be good for us.

That wil decide if we ever see a UK government.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

it all depends on the future of the EU, will it or won't it be good for us.

Arent the French due to vote on the EU constitution???

If they vote no its pretty screwed isnt it?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Well then, as I see it the Lib Dems will remain the third party with little power, this would however change if Britain switched to PR.
People can knock the Conservative Party (rightly so currently) but I can see them losing this election and finally (waited long enough) changing their ways, keeping their right wing stance on crime, immigration etc and and on other issues becoming more moderate and less leaning on privitisation based services.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
Well then, as I see it the Lib Dems will remain the third party with little power, this would however change if Britain switched to PR.

Can you see us switching to a PR system? im not sure if we will

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Can you see us switching to a PR system? im not sure if we will

I can't see PR being implemented for a while yet, due to the big two party's not gaining anything from it. If the Lib Dems gain support or one of the big two parties lose support then I can see PR being considered.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
I can't see PR being implemented for a while yet, due to the big two party's not gaining anything from it. If the Lib Dems gain support or one of the big two parties lose support then I can see PR being considered.

Problem with the PR system, far right parties are likely to gain seats within the house, thats the problem with PR

top topics

join