It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Alabama Bill to Ban 'Gay' books and Gay Authors

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by MCory1
Man, the Bible Belt never ceases to amaze me...

We moved to Alabama in 1992. We left 8 years later.
When we were down there one of the national TV networks
was going to show The Rocky Horror Picture Show on TV
for Halloween. Then I found out that most of N. Alabama
didn't celebrate Halloween (they turn their lights out and
humbug it) and also the TV stations were going to block
Rocky Horror because of the gay/bi implications. The show
wasn't coming on until later - something like 9 or 10 at night.
But still ... 'they' decided that Rocky Horror was bad and
they mommied everyone and decided to block it.

Man .. I couldn't wait to move outta' there!

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DenyAllKnowledge
The ancient Celts considered marriage or handfasting as some know it was a form of contract that had several purposes. These included the protection of property rights, the care of progeny (children), and the rights of the individuals involved in the relationships themselves.

There has always been a "legal" aspect to the marriage process. It's not all about God, a tree or some still dark pool in an ancient German forest. Sorry, but it's nothing to do with "prehistoric gays" and everything to do with someones legal rights.

The ancient greeks didnt have marriage, you are simply translating something similar in to a manner we can understand today... It wasnt marrage and you proved it yourself by showing the lack of knowledge you have in it.

Secondly there are other legal ways a couple can sought there will, or be considered a couple without being married... Marriage is a invention of religion, and God... If a gay wants to deny gods rules, why would he want to enter a sacred agreement meant for only a man and WOMAN.

The gays are only trying to change everything which disagrees with them, like there trying to allow gay priests, when the bible forbids gays, that whole idea is crazy, if you are going to promote and believe in a religion you cant just pick parts and change what dont suit you, ot you might as well start a new religion. Gays know this obviously knowing what the bible says, and then choosing to sin every day, the only reason they are pushin for gays in marrage/church is to upset and change OTHER peoples lives. Something they often cry about.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Just back onto the topic tho, and not my personal beliefs... I think if gays want they should be allowed to have there own TV channel, or radio station clubs whatever they want, but there shouldnt be so much gays being promoted on normal TV daytime tv too a lot of the time. I think accepting and tolerating are different things, but of course the way the homosexuals play things, if you disagree with them in anyway, your called a closet gay... Its funny tho how even the gays use being gay as an insult on others lol..

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmaruM

The ancient greeks didnt have marriage, you are simply translating something similar in to a manner we can understand today... It wasnt marrage and you proved it yourself by showing the lack of knowledge you have in it.

It was Celts, not Greeks, mentioned in the post. Thank you for paying so much attention. And in fact the Ancient Greeks, Romans, Persians, Carthaginians, Gauls, Britons, Babylonians etc all had marriage as a major cornerstone of their society (hence the major role played in religion by "Mother Godess" cults).

The point I was attempting to make (although clearly it is now a moot point), was that marriage includes a whole range of legal rights for those involved and is not a specifically Christian institution.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
[edit on 6-6-2005 by asala]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Well you seem intelligent spouting your big words, i wonder how long that post took you
Next time tho use that big brain of yours to notice i wasnt demanding anything,, i was asking.

Secondly, marrage as we use in the westen world has always been based on monothesic religions, so please try telling me prehistoric gays invented marrage. Marrage is the joining of two people in front of god, there are other ways to show your commitment then marrage so stop your lies and pro gay propaganda please.

You're confused about alot of things my young friend, not the least of which is who can ask to stop telling "lies" around here.

And as of yet, I've told none.

A church marriage is a ceremony, but that's all it is in the modern world. It's an important right of both the participants and the church, and nobody is about to deny or impose sanctions upon who can or can't have or perform (or refuse to perform) that ceremony, but it's not legally binding.

If you're unaware that a judge or magistrate can also perform the ceremony, I suggest you do a little more research on the American legal system and less on ancient cultures of foriegn lands. Some states, it's true, legally require a man and woman only, others do not. You know this already or you wouldn't have your manpanties in a wad.

As far as the legalities of marriage go, there are state applications, licenses, some have blood tests, waiting periods, fees, etc. But the Church ceremony is the only part not required by law. And even that marriage ceremony is not legally binding until the notarized documents of the witnesses and one of the following:

Marriage may be performed by the following: (ordained minister) (minister authorized by his or her church) (resident Superior Court Judge) (magistrate) (society of friends) (local spiritual assembly of the Baha) (Federal or State recognized Indian Nations or Tribes) and (any person authorized by any religious denomination).

...Make it back to the registrars office.

So you're wrong.

[edit on 28-4-2005 by RANT]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
i have no objections to gays getting married in registry offices or the streets of london for all i care... I just dont think people should have to change there beliefs to include something expressly forbidden just to make a few fruits happy :~)

And to the fruity person above, i asure you i am not gay nor do i have any feelings towards men other then that of friendship and family, I cannot see how any man can find another attractive, it just confuses me when you can have a WOMAN why pick a man lol...

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   

And to the fruity person above, i asure you i am not gay nor do i have any feelings towards men other then that of friendship and family, I cannot see how any man can find another attractive, it just confuses me when you can have a WOMAN why pick a man lol...

Something tells me that you wouldn't have any problem with two hot women engaging each other huh? Just none of them men type huggin and kissin and what not...

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
When exactly do we plan on not allowing Mr AmaruM's trolling to further push this topic out of context?

Yes, homosexuality is a controversial issue here at ATS as many of us already know from such similar threads, but folly attempts are being made trying to change someone's ideology and no one's even mentioning the issue at hand here....

[edit on 4/28/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fiorina 161
it's ok we know your try to fig it out, see where you are
with yourself, when you do um have sex for the first time ,
i'm shure we will all here about it here, um and i'm shure he will help ,
you threw all the ?'s you have about yourself, good luck with it.
just remeber that most of the men you see at your church, go
to the local bookstore for more" male", companyonship, just make
shure you have condums please,as your wife won't like you comeing
home with any-extra happyness for her.
it's ok alot of us "gays", look like grizzley adams, not really fruity, but you made
me feel young again for a few, thank you

You see i say gays have no morals... He thinks its perfectly fine for him to go and have sex with other men in bookstores then coming home to his wife... That is how AIDS started thru bisexuals like this... Another reason that gays are bad, AIDS is natures way of killing those who stray from its natural path.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mpeake

"I don't look at it as censorship," says State Representative Gerald Allen. "I look at it as protecting the hearts and souls and minds of our children."

In a return to the original topic I must say it's rather bizarre to ban the books in libraries (I mean, come on, lets face fact that children don't spend much time in them, let alone in the "Gay Fiction" section), considering the fact that youngsters can go online and pretty much look at whatever they want!

The whole issue looks like a storm in a teacup. Banning things tends to make them all the more coveted.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
A church marriage is a ceremony, but that's all it is in the modern world. It's an important right of both the participants and the church, and nobody is about to deny or impose sanctions upon who can or can't have or perform (or refuse to perform) that ceremony, but it's not legally binding.

hmmm ... well RANT ... A CHURCH marriage, depending on the church,
is first and foremost a SACRAMENT. Or were you just looking at the
legal aspect that it is just a ceremony in the eyes of the law? I don't
think the law can force a church to perform a sacrament.

In the Catholic church and in the Orthodox churches it is a sacrament.
I think it is for the Episcopalians as well. It is also a ceremony but the
sacramental part is what it is first and foremost. The Church, who has
sacraments, has a duty to decide who is prepared to receive those
sacraments and who isn't.

It's part of that particular religion. If that religion doesn't allow for a
sacramental union of two people (be they homosexual or heterosexual)
then that church has a right not to provide that sacrament. It's the
JOB of the church to guide it's flock and part of that is educating the
people as to what is expected in order to obtain a sacrament.

No one has a 'right' to a sacrament if they don't follow the teachings
or beliefs of the church providing them. At least that's common sense
and church teaching. I don't think the law forces churches to provide
sacraments. (or do they??)

Of course not allowing the sacrament in no way forbids those people
from being married in the eyes of the law elsewhere (if the law allows
it).

However, the homosexual folks who wish to be married can do so in
their respective churches that allow it. I don't know why a gay couple
would want to be married in a Catholic church anyways. If they are
actively gay, then they don't believe in the Catholic teachings, so why
would they want to be married in a church that they don't believe in?

Some of our lesbian friends used to be Catholic but when they embraced
their homosexuality they understood that they would not be married in
the Catholic church because (1) they no longer believed everything the
Catholic church taught and (2) the church wouldn't allow it even if they
wanted it. As of yet they have not wed in a church that allows
homosexual unions, but if they do, they understand that the Catholics
(and Orthodox) consider marriage in that church a sacrament and not
obtainable (heck .. not believed in by them anymore either).

[edit on 4/28/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
A lame attempt to excise gays from the culture by enforcing ignorance.

But this is nothing compared to what's coming. Should the Reconstructionist types get their way, they will impose a Final Solution on gays, not to mention anyone else that doesn't want to live by their rules. They are absolutely in love with the death penalty (in particular, by stoning), and seek to apply it to all manner of "crimes" including homosexual behavior, apostasy, and premarital sex.

WHAT? Stoning! where do you get that fact from? Personally I'm all for stoning some folks...lets start with convicted pedophiles! However short of Islamic law I doubt we will see Stoning in THIS country anytime soon! Anyway I would be interested in any link you have to this "stoning craze" !

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Aside from the semantics FlyersFan, I think you're actually agreeing with me. At least I agree with you.

The Church can do what it wants about the ceremony, sacrament, tomatos and tomatoes. As can the state with it's legal contracts and awarded statuses.

Alabama could even try to ban books by author's of a particular sexual orientation if it wants, but I think federal law of citizenry right's may supercede state right's to censor (or "uphold morals") on that one.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fiorina 161
oh no sorry i have only had 2 long term reltions and , i don't go out,
i vote and work and pay taxs, never been to jail, never had a "WIFE",
OR CHEATED ON HER. being a "hetro", i'm shure your in your "manly" way,
you have had many woman , um right that what you will say to show
your a man, cause you have to domnate women to prove you a "man"mmmm,
unless you a girl, who never ever had sex yet...........man .....girl....,
hemmmmm..... i guess we]ll never know.
make shure whenyou pointing your thing at people you asked first .

Please, i know your sexuality makes no sense, but at least try include a bit in your posts
And no to prove im a MAN the only thing i have to do is.. well not bat for the other side
Im sorry but i cannot consider gays "men" lol... Also while where on the subject why do homos always have to talk and whine like girls , you know all that gay talk you do, why not just get a dam wig and play a woman, or stfu and b a real man?

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
There is an interesting trend emerging in the gay community--more gay men are settling down and entering into committed relationships because of the hope that they can get married. By giving them equal opportunity and recognizing their Constitutional rights, it gives them hope--and the chance to fully participate, and contribute to society.

For society to continue to marginalize homosexuals is to continue to condemn many of them them to a fringe lifestyle of shame and discrimination. Perhaps it is convenient to keep the stereotypical picture of homosexuals intact instead of accepting the reality that they are just like everyone else.

And the false notion that homosexual authors are pushing a deviant agenda is hypocritical. What about books written by heterosexual authors with so-called "deviant" urges? If we banned those books, the library shelves would be empty.

I hope this bill gets a lot of attention--it is time for the backlash against the insane hubris of the "Christian" Conservatives to begin. This kind of action exposes these people for who they are--enemies of the Constitution and Americans.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by cafeman
WHAT? Stoning! where do you get that fact from? Personally I'm all for stoning some folks...lets start with convicted pedophiles! However short of Islamic law I doubt we will see Stoning in THIS country anytime soon! Anyway I would be interested in any link you have to this "stoning craze" !

Probably Leviticus 20:13. At least that's the scripture always quoted when theo-terrorists try to justify beating gays in the street.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Please, i know your sexuality makes no sense, but at least try include a bit in your posts
And no to prove im a MAN the only thing i have to do is.. well not bat for the other side
Im sorry but i cannot consider gays "men" lol... Also while where on the subject why do homos always have to talk and whine like girls , you know all that gay talk you do, why not just get a dam wig and play a woman, or stfu and b a real man?

You like insulting other posters and telling people to shut up don't you?

Ironically, I do too.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity. Take a break please.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join