POLITICS: Alabama Bill to Ban 'Gay' books and Gay Authors

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
...Saying "we're not the Taliban, we're Christians!"

Uh huh. Anyway, next headline to read: Vice President's Daughter's Book Banned in Alabama!

And they can defend doing that, I'm sure. If Lynne Cheney hadn't been writing soft lesbian romance novels all those years, she might not have raised a gay daughter right? Right? I mean that is the "conservative" Christian thinking here.

BANNED IN ALABAMA!!!

LAUGHED AT IN NEW YORK!!!

People vote Republican on purpose. Sorry that just cracks me up.

[edit on 27-4-2005 by RANT]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmaruM
Well this sounds good to me, gays are sick people, either in the head or just plain sick... And it might not others buisiness what to consenting sick people wish to do in there own homes, but that doesnt mean we should have to put up with it in public, or encourage our kids into thinking its ok....

Wow, did you put a lot of thought in that determination?

:shk:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Get involved they say...

Sure thing..just as soon as the system is changed to hold liars and thieves of all income levels accountable. When the Justice system dispenses justice, when the government reigns in wasteful spending, when our oligarchs are disembowled by laughing, ethnically diverse children, I'll participate.

And exactly who do you think will do this?

Ranting and raving changes what? Maybe (and a stretch here) the listener? Systems change because someone carries the load.

*edit to add (once again)
bested by RANT
superb

[edit on 27-4-2005 by JoeDoaks]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Well this sounds good to me, gays are sick people, either in the head or just plain sick... And it might not others buisiness what to consenting sick people wish to do in there own homes, but that doesnt mean we should have to put up with it in public, or encourage our kids into thinking its ok....

Wow, did you put a lot of thought in that determination?

:shk:

well i fail to understand why homosexuality should be encouraged, even accepted... I hate this bs world we live in today where we have to accept everything, or be called a racist, homophobe etc... Cant i just hate gays because there sickening? If it where up to me all gays would be banned from TV and deported to the furthest place from civilization

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Well this sounds good to me, gays are sick people, either in the head or just plain sick... And it might not others buisiness what to consenting sick people wish to do in there own homes, but that doesn't mean we should have to put up with it in public, or encourage our kids into thinking its ok....

OK, that sounds good, so if I tell you what to read or not to read and force it to you is good to you. right?

OK, gays are sick people..........do you got that from your personal interaction with gays or that is what the pastor tells you in Sunday school.

Consenting sick people...............so when two adults have sex outside of the marriage you consider that sick also...........do you believe gays and lesbians and promiscuous teens should be stone to death?

Actually nobody is encouraging anybody to read anything they don't want, but this is taking away My Right to read whatever I feel like I want to read.

Very soon if we let this "Re constructionist" get away with this the only book to be found in the bookshelves will be their version of the law and their version of morality in their new version of their bible.

Perhaps the whole idea is to keep the people ignorant and poor and Dependant on the Church, like that the people are easier manipulated.

Lets ban college education unless is only for theological studies and let's bring the inquisition to get rid all the pesky heathens.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
RANT

The contradictions are never ending. Helms is still my personal favorite though. People who hate gays and people who hate blacks are cut from the same cloth, it's a fear reaction brought on by a lack of understanding, as has been stated countless times and well understood by most sensible people.

These people are anti-social, and have no place in modern society (except perhaps beside the mammoths in the NHM).

JoeDoaks
I don't think listeners change much, at least not usually. Those making the points rarely do, but I would hazard a guess that they change things more often than the listeners. Just a thought, but not the main thrust.

No..the people who change things are the survivors.

I wouldn't attempt to change anything in the system as it is now. That's like attacking Antarctica with a chainsaw, with the intent of creating a festive 1X1 metre swan sculpture.

It's a waste of precious energy, given the scope of the task. I'd be better off mowing the lawn, or planting some squash, or painting a miniature for sale, or writing a short story. Those things directly contribute to my quality of life and my survival - playing cog boy in the grand machine only serves to reinforce the illusion that participating with intent to destroy is more effective than not participating with intent to destroy.

In a machine this big, the only way to cause damage (bring about change) is to cease functioning in the role prepared for you. Cogs stop turning, oil stops flowing, pistons seize, the engine dies, and the beast coasts to a stop, becoming a nesting place for colorful birds.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   

well i fail to understand why homosexuality should be encouraged, even accepted... I hate this bs world we live in today where we have to accept everything, or be called a racist, homophobe etc... Cant i just hate gays because there sickening? If it where up to me all gays would be banned from TV and deported to the furthest place from civilization

That would have something to do with the fact that you probably think they are inferior to you, even though they are as much a member of the same species as you are.....

Your antiquated methods of grouping people into piles of good better and best is not acceptable given modern scientific and ethical advancements...So you choose to either accept and evolve your methods of thought to something that's a bit more socially acceptable, and something that's acceptable within your own conscious....Or you choose to continue down your present path with a burden of hate that no man should bare....

Yes - You can "just hate gays"....You can do whatever you want.....But don't expect to be seen as someone with an ounce of morality or sound judgment....

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
banning a book from public libaries does not stop you from reading it at all, ever heard of stores? And no i wouldnt be up for stoning gays, but it drives me mad that the world is so accepting of such sickness now...

[edit on 27-4-2005 by AmaruM]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Also my opinion doesnt just come from religion, having known a gay, i know they are dirty sub human beings with no morals, in my opion a global war on gayism would be better for the world then the so called war on terrorism.

That's enough of that.

Warns to follow.

Welcome to the ATS World of U2u's. Over 20 posts. They're up in the right hand corner. Check them, I know you have at least one.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Enron hit the nail on the head with that last post, re: hating gays.

Do whatever you want, just don't seek acceptance outside your own small minded brethren.

Most people can accept the fact that gays are people, deserving of the same rights.

I don't care if gay shows are on television, if they're not interesting, don't watch.

I don't care if gay books are in the library, if they're not interesting, don't read them.

I don't want gay children, for the simple reason that I want my genetics to continue to be passed on, but since I have no control over their sex lives once they leave the nest, it's a moot point what I do or don't want. Go ahead and lock your girls up in a convent to keep them away from the evils of sex, they'll just become lesbians.

Human sexuality can't be repressed, it can only be pushed down further and further, until, like a jack in the box, in springs up and surprises the hell out of you.

Homosexuality is a response to urban living, cities. If you hate gays, I suggest you attack the root, and strive to eliminate city living. Go get 'em tiger.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

That would have something to do with the fact that you probably think they are inferior to you, even though they are as much a member of the same species as you are.....

Your antiquated methods of grouping people into piles of good better and best is not acceptable given modern scientific and ethical advancements...So you choose to either accept and evolve your methods of thought to something that's a bit more socially acceptable, and something that's acceptable within your own conscious....Or you choose to continue down your present path with a burden of hate that no man should bare....

Yes - You can "just hate gays"....You can do whatever you want.....But don't expect to be seen as someone with an ounce of morality or sound judgment....

Well you may be right, i do consider myself better then gays... But i also consider dogs and better beings then gays...

FYI im not a racist, not a seriously religious person, gays just sicken me, and it makes me so angry that my children wil have to live in a world where gay people are looked up to, or respected.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Well well. Now we get a little more serious don't we? Being of a religious nature I cannot go and represent my feelings on this matter. But it would be be that our Gay community can help with future over-population?

And help with adopting the hungry and homeless Children of our planet - yes?

Dallas

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas

Well well. Now we get a little more serious don't we? Being of a religious nature I cannot go and represent my feelings on this matter. But it would be be that our Gay community can help with future over-population?

And help with adopting the hungry and homeless Children of our planet - yes?

Dallas

Now that is one situation that really scares me, i feel so sorry for any child being placed in th home of gays... That would totally screw up the kid...

Alsi while were on the subject of gays, why do they constantly whine how people shoulf accpet them and not try change them etc, but then go around making a mock of US with there gay marragies... GAYS where never meant to be married, and that is a FACT, why must they intimadate us changing OURSELVES and expecting us to change our beliefs when they are the ones complaining. You see gays have no morals, care only for themselves and have no respect for peoples feelings but there own.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
That is the problem EnronOutrunHomerun, Its groups that are appointing them selves “self righteous” and “moralistic rights” like Gerald Allen is not spreading any messages of love and tolerance under their religious views, they are spreading their version of righteousness on hate and intolerance.

This Representative from Alabama wants books Classics like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof or The Color Purple” to be “dump in a hole and be buried”

Well it seems that the bill is part of a meeting that he had with Bush back in December in.

Bush is interested in Allen’s opinions because Allen is an elected Republican representative in the Alabama state legislature. He is Bush’s base. Last week, Bush’s base introduced a bill that would ban the use of state funds to purchase any books or other materials that “promote homosexuality”. Allen does not want taxpayers’ money to support “positive depictions of homosexuality as an alternative lifestyle”. That’s why Tennessee Williams and Alice Walker have got to go.

So the bill is in response to after elections when “14 states passed referendums defining marriage”

So I guess the law maker from Alabama is taking this definition to include books that he may see inappropriate and is not limited to “Gay only”

He blames “Hollywood” so Alabama may be heading for a “Reconstruction of the media” if Allen gets away with it.

He blames the “music industry” so it may be some banning in what you can listen in Alabama if Allen gets away with it.

The Alabama law maker is in a mission to “save society from moral destruction”

Read more here get to know your leader Gerald Allen from Alabama.

www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 27-4-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
This I agree with. Both of my children are homeschool students and two grades ahead of public school students in most subjects.
This is so wrong. I reside in Ms, and we have books banned that I continue to keep on our bookshelves.
Politics makes me so angry, thus I try to stay away from it..lol
In parts of Alabama there are places you will not find the first colored person, now the books to?
Ignorance just gets on my nerves.

I think all parents in America who actually give a damn about their kids should get them the hell out of public school. Homeschool is the way to go, all the way.

And this legislator has a skeleton or three in his closet, guaranteed. Anyone remember Santorum or Helms?

Bastards. All mouth, no soul.

I say eviscerate their power base with proper education. What more can you do without resorting to eugenics administered on a sliding scale based off compassion quotient?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
That is the problem EnronOutrunHomerun, Its groups that are appointing them selves “self righteous” and “moralistic rights” like Gerald Allen is not spreading any messages of love and tolerance under their religious views, they are spreading their version of righteousness on hate and intolerance.

Oh, I agree 100% with you marg...and I understand the methods of their propaganda...

It's quite alarming to me that many citizens feel comfortable hearing their politicians claim that it's the gay population who's sending out pro-gay propaganda, but then they turn around and spit out their own anti-gay propaganda right back at them.....Is one really better than the other at the end of the day?

And what most people don't understand...no one's encouraging your kids to grow up and be gay - No book they read could do that, unless it finally made them realize the truth - It answered that unnerving question they've always had about why I always feel like this or that....And to deny someone the ability to fully express themselves and learn who they are by discovering literature and the connections it has with our lives, then we're denying our own freedom by false attempts at "protecting" it....not to say that’s the only way someone would find out they’re gay, but I’m just trying to relate it to the topic….

Tolerance.....That's a word that must be absent from schools today.....

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
(First, I'd just like to point out that this is just a bill against public school libraries not college or public libraries)

banning a book from public libaries does not stop you from reading it at all, ever heard of stores? And no i wouldnt be up for stoning gays, but it drives me mad that the world is so accepting of such sickness now...
[edit on 27-4-2005 by AmaruM]

But now you no longer have a library. Look at some of the authors that dude wants to ban. Shakespear? Tennessee Williams? Common he not only wants to ban books depicting gay people, but also persecuting gay authors.
I'll quote this librarian from the original article.

"And so the idea that we would have a pristine collection that represents one political view, one religioius view, that's not a library,'' says Schremser

now to the article

from the original cnn artile

"I don't look at it as censorship," says State Representative Gerald Allen. "I look at it as protecting the hearts and souls and minds of our children

I'd like to know his definition of censorship.

Allen originally wanted to ban even some Shakespeare. After criticism, he narrowed his bill to exempt the classics, although he still can't define what a classic is. Also exempted now Alabama's public and college libraries.

This dude can't even define what he considers a classic. Might as well call all books classics and that way the bill has no point other than setting a rediculous precident that can be changed later

Now to JoeDoaks, I have voted since I turned 18. I've signed petitions, I've written senators on various things from enviormental to issues dealing with public schools. I watched a majority vote go to one person while the other becomes president. Nothing has ever come of any of it. Now that doesn't mean I still won't vote or sign petitions or write, but many times it just doesn't matter.

Edit had to fix quote box

[edit on 27-4-2005 by silentlonewolf]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   

People who hate gays and people who hate blacks are cut from the same cloth, it's a fear reaction brought on by a lack of understanding, as has been stated countless times and well understood by most sensible people.

I am biased- this statment of yours is pure bigotrry.

You are no different than those you 'disdain.' Think like you or be sub-cultured?

Call me cave-boy. I have no use for gays and I really do understand. If it were the other end of the cloth would I feel the same about white people?

Want to ban gay books from a library paid for with tax dollars- guess who decides? It is not the stay at home moms and people pounding a keyboard- it is the dumb -$$ that bothers to register and vote. The person that PROVES to themselves that they really do care.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Now lets ban all heterosexual authors too!

Get rid of sex altogether, it is such a nasty tawdry business anyway.

Lets only have monotonic stories where everyone is stiff and ridgid and too uptight to express any emotions whatsoever. Oh except pure raw anger so we can still be militaristic.

Life is full of messy things, glopy proteins and its all wet and greasy,

HEY! I have an idea,

Lets make life a crime.

That will put an end to all that sick nasty breathing and other life nonsense.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks
It is not the stay at home moms and people pounding a keyboard- it is the dumb -$$ that bothers to register and vote. The person that PROVES to themselves that they really do care.

I agree with you, if you vote for your president without knowing the people behind the president in your state you are not accomplishing anything.

Most people have not idea who their representatives are they have not clue who their leaders at state level are.

They only know the big guys that run the country from the white house, but do they really know who is running your state at the local level?

Most people have no clue I am guilty as sin but I am learning.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join