It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Titan's upper atmosphere Probed by the Cassini Spacecraft (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Titan, Saturn's largest moon, is found to have an atmosphere of organic material. Scientists believe this atmosphere can be a time
machine to the earliest days on earth. Spacecraft Cassini made its closest pass of Titan on April 16. The data sent back from the spacecraft showed an atmosphere full of clompex hydrocarbon molecules. Titan being the only moon with a substantial atmosphere seems to have intrigued many scientists. Hopefully this discovery will unlock the key to the organic origins of our solar system.

www.cnn.com
Scientists have long believed that chemical reactions by hydrocarbons -- organic compounds like methane that contain carbon and hydrogen -- began the process of life on Earth.

To scientists, Titan's atmosphere is a time machine to the early days of Earth.

"Scientists believe that Titan's atmosphere may be a laboratory for studying the organic chemistry that preceded life and provided the building blocks for life on Earth," according to NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The information scientist recieve from Cassini will help us understand our own solar system and planet. Maybe even help us in finding how our planet was created and maybe even mankind oneday. It will probably be a long time before we actually answer these questions but man must start somewhere and with this moon having a complex atmosphere it might give us the stepping stone we need. So hopefully with this information we can move on with our search for answers.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I'll vote yes, once you work on the Intro wording a bit. Good article!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Someone beat you and I do it. I posted the same story last nite only to find out someone had posted it yesterday morning.

new topics

join