It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Queen awards VC to Iraq war hero

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The Victoria Cross has today been awarded to the first living soldier since 1969. Private Johnson Beharry has become the first person to recieve the UK's highest valour award since the Falklands war. Pte Beharry was at the head of a five vehicle convoy when it came under attack in May 2004. He lead the convoy to safety dropping off injured comrades on the way. Weeks later, his vehicle was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade round and despite a head wound, he managed to reverse his Warrior to safety.

news.bbc.co.uk
He was told by the Queen: "You're very special". "She said that she doesn't get to present the VC very often," Pte Beharry, of London, said afterwards.

Pte Beharry, who was born on Grenada in the West Indies, is the first living soldier to be given the VC since 1969.

The UK's top soldier, General Sir Mike Jackson, was knighted by the Queen, receiving the honour of Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath. He said: "I was overshadowed today by Pte Beharry, and quite rightly so - it was an honour to stand alongside him."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The bravery shown by young Private Beharry was second to none and the fact that his honour overshadowed the Knighting of the UK's top soldier shows what an acheivement he has made.

Private Beharry put his actions down to training and while i do believe that much of it was training, the sheer bravery shown will be repeated by few men in coming years.

It is an honour to have Private Johnson Beharry in the British Army and proves that the British still have one of the most fearsome fighting units in the world.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Bravo

Good to see this. Even in a quagmire such as Iraq heroism gets rewarded!

wikipedia
The Victoria Cross (official post-nominal letters "VC") is the highest award for valour that can be awarded to members of the British and Commonwealth armed forces of any rank in any service and civilians under military command.

The medal takes the form of a cross pattée, 1.375 inches (35 mm) wide, bearing a crown surmounted by a lion, and the inscription "FOR VALOUR". This was originally to have been "FOR BRAVERY", until it was changed on the recommendation of Queen Victoria, who thought some might erroneously consider that only the recipients of the VC were brave in battle. The medal, suspension bar and link weigh about 0.87 troy ounces (27 g). The ribbon is crimson, 1.5 inches (38 mm) wide.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Something this special and no more comments?

I'm no Brit, but the VC is really special. I would have thought some 'good show' and 'eh's one of ours' posts would have shown.

ATS has always perplexed me.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Good show chap, tally ho, pip pip and all that twoddle!

Nice one, the chap deserves it!

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   

for stu

Lovely, simply superb.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Rightly deserved. Lets hope more of our troops get the recognition they deserve, but not through getting hurt or injured.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Rightly deserved. Lets hope more of our troops get the recognition they deserve, but not through getting hurt or injured.

Its about the only way you stand a chance of a VC! If you dont get shot, then you want to make sure you slay a whole company of enemy special forces on your own, with nothing but a pencil and a rubber band...

Its that bloody hard to get!

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Regardless of what dim-witted notion some have on the war against terror (What? Did some expect differently from me? LOL!), there is nothing more awe-inspiring than the courage of a true warrior.

The only thing that prohibits more Brits from being the recipients of such an honor is the manner in which the Brits mete out such an honor. I ahev served with the Brits and I assure all who red, this young man is truly a treasure, but not an uncommon treasure in the British military.

I served with this kid's generation's fathers, and I imagine that my firends' children are just as proud, honorouble and courageous.

This man must be a true hero.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Well said TC

The Brits I knew were true warriors, but then so were some indigenous folks, So. Koreans and Aussies.

Not to deminish the VC at all. It is one of those whispered medals.

new topics

top topics

join