It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Asian Earthquake Left Scar on Gravity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The earthquake that triggered the massive tidal wave in Asia
not only changed Earth's rotation, it left a scar on
Earth's gravity. When the earthquake and tidal wave
happened, we were all told about the slight change in
the rotation of our planet, but now scientists are speaking
about the change in gravity. The change in gravity has
to do with the change in landforms under the water.
This is being monitored from space by NASA as well as
other science agencies.

www.livescience.com

Sumatran Quake Left 'Scar' on Earth's Gravity
By LiveScience Staff
25 April 2005

The devastating 2004 Sumatran earthquake, which caused the worst tsunami in modern times, should have left a detectable scar on Earth's gravity field, European scientists said Monday.

The new prediction comes from Roberto Sabadini and Giorgio Dalla Via at the University of Milan. The idea is fairly straightforward. The strength of Earth's gravity varies depending on the depth of a trench or height of a mountain, as well as the density of material. Even changing tides alter the gravity field.

Gravity variations are measured using the geoid, which is similar to sea-level. The geoid is a hypothetical "surface" around the Earth at which the planet's gravitational pull is the same everywhere. Over dense areas, the geoid moves away from the real surface, and where gravity is less, the geoid moves closer to the real surface.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I found this to be interesting and thought provoking. A
massive change in landforms can change gravity.
Was the gravity of Hiroshima effected during WWII?
Would the land effects of a nuclear war effect the
Earth's gravity? Hawking says gravity and time are
connected. That leads to more thoughts and questions.

[edit on 4/27/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Interesting article, but you might want to work on the ending.

I am no expert but this I do know, gravity is an attraction generated by mass. It is why when forming the solar system, things clumped together into spheres and keeps the planets in orbit. Different densities in mass will cause small variations, and vortexes.

But to think this earthquake altered the gravity in the area means that large amount of earth (mass) was changed. It must have also affected the mantle under the Earth's crust. I wonder what percentage of the Earth's mass was altered by this eartquake. Maybe some expert could elaborate.

[edit on 4/27/2005 by Hal9000]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan A
massive change in landforms can change gravity.
Was the gravity of Hiroshima effected during WWII?

Doubtful, this quake had the power of thousands of nuclear bombs going off at the same time.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Sweet, maybe I finally lost some weight!

Great article FlyersFan

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
There are gravitational anomalies all over the world, due to varying thicknesses of the earth's crust. None of which are the least bit discernible by you or I. The mass of the earth was unchanged however - it's just the distribution of that mass that may have altered very, very, very, very, very slightly.

Really all this article is about is boasting that we now have such incredibaly sensitive equipment we can even measure variations in gravity caused by an earthquake.....

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
If I remember correctly, over a 100 miles of earth slide over 15 feet down under the other tectonic plate, which is why the Tsunami was so big, so definately the mass of the earth's crust at that location has been altered.

The island where the Tsunami hit hardest, moved out to sea by like 80 feet or so.

My numbers may be off, its been five months.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
There are gravitational anomalies all over the world, due to varying thicknesses of the earth's crust. None of which are the least bit discernible by you or I. The mass of the earth was unchanged however - it's just the distribution of that mass that may have altered very, very, very, very, very slightly.

Really all this article is about is boasting that we now have such incredibaly sensitive equipment we can even measure variations in gravity caused by an earthquake.....

I read numerous articles on how it is possible to detect variations of the gravitational field due to varying distribution of mass. If I remember correctly, the Himalayas were heavy as heck and there was, therefore, a "dip" in the gravitational field above this area.

I like the idea that humankind posesses such sensitive instrumentation, though.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Would it be a good thing or bad thing if we lost gravity? or gained gravity?? I like the idea of losing gravity, then I can jump higher!!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
i found this first:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

but he can have it

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
i found this first:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

but he can have it

There can be simultaneous ATSNN and ATS threads though, so it's all good.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
i know cmdrkeenkid...

it was just a simple joke

new topics

top topics

join