It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

gamma ray laser

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a gamma ray laser can split atoms and cause nuclear explosions.BUT a gamma ray laser has never been made.

hard X-ray lasers can cause you to explode. They big problem. Power. They both need a LOT of power. antimatter or fusion can fix this. But how do you contain antimatter and how do you make a mini nuclear reactor the size of a backpack,without cooking your soldier like ihop bacon with eggs over easy.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   

a gamma ray laser can split atoms and cause nuclear explosions.BUT a gamma ray laser has never been made.

This Be Bad! Very Very Bad!!!

Correct me if im wrong but a Gamma Ray Burst in space makes a star (as big as our sun) and possibly a whole solar system implode!

Why would we want mini versions of this happening here on Earth?

Silly weapon that would only be used by silly governments! (Not the UK/US)

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
To build a gamma ray laser, you would first have to identify a material that:
a) absorbs gamma rays and doesn't break down
b) re-emits the gamma rays preferentially at a specific frequency in the gamma ray range.
c) has a large cross section for stimulated emission
d) the absorbed energy is not internally converted to visible light, infrared radiation, etc.
e) find a source of energy to pump said material

Do you know of a material that does any of a) - d) ?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
we have made gamma pulses but they were too weak to focus. I would use...

1) Nuclear pumping of photons in quantumly entangled helium ions. One(cylinder A) gas cilinder has a very small amount of Helium ions with a nuclear spin of 1/2(away and toward the magnetic field). The second cylinder(cylinder B) is filled with at least 100,000x the amount of entangled Helium gas. Now since you created all the helium from the small amount of helium gas(cylinder A) by putting them though a high powered beam splitter.This should cause the other entangled helium atoms in the larger vessel to have an almost indefinate pumping time. You need a supercooled superconducting magnet to pull off the magentic distortion of the smaller vessel. By feeding the entangled atoms a high amplitude of light you can saturate the nuclei with photons. Then some time later(excuse me for making these "leaps of inference" but I have not experimented with this theory so I don't know the details) you slam on the other cylinder's magnet to change orientation to 2/1, causing the Helium ions' nuclei to pump out the "supercharged" photons.

2)now the focal point is a magnetic electon barrier. Thats all I am going to say about that.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemicalLaser
To build a gamma ray laser, you would first have to identify a material that:
b) re-emits the gamma rays preferentially at a specific frequency in the gamma ray range.
c) has a large cross section for stimulated emission
d) the absorbed energy is not internally converted to visible light, infrared radiation, etc.

Do you know of a material that does any of a) - d) ?

Flubber

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Ok excuse us physics challenged folks but, how is a Gamma laser different form a Particle Beam? And are there Particle Beams in use?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
The point of my previous post was, X_I's reply notwithstanding, the ridiculousness of a gamma ray laser.
Particle beam like concepts exist. I am not familiar with them. What I am familiar with are molecular beams. These devices take a high pressure gas and expand it through a very small aperture. The acceleration of the molecules through the pinhole (or slit) cools the molecules to a very low vibrational and rotational temperature (ie. the internal energy is very low). Skimmers can be added to collimate the beam and make it very directional. Only problem is that the background pressure of the vessel into which the beam is projected must be very very low. Many researchers over the last 50 years have used crossed molecular beams to study the nature of chemical reactivity.
That's probably not what you were looking for, but that's my 2 cents worth.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
A Gamma Ray laser is that what's known as a Graser ?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Tell me if I'm wrong but aren't gamma rays the ones that go through everything? I might just be talking in basic ideas, but I thought thats what is widely accepted.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
they do. quantum entanglement pumping with a superconducting magnet and a electron barrier(photons are repelled by the electrical properties of electrons and they are attracted by the the electrical properties of protons and the nuclei. like how light is stopped by "recording" it's quantum state on the proton and then reemitted) or supercompacted Xenon fluoride or dihelium cooled by cooling lasers or metastable Positronium(electron+positron=super-small hydrogen-like atom)also supercooled by cooling lasers and compressed into a solid. The photons will be repelled by the electron rich substance and funneled into a tube chamber(thanks chemicallaser) then released.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
my gut reaction is

man with a gamma ray weapon

is like a raging bull in a china shop

no good will come of this

THAT is the scariest bloody thing I've heard in a while...yikes !

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a gamma ray laser can split atoms and can cause nuke-level yield on ANYTHING that it hits.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   
whadda-ya-need-one-of-those-for ?

planning on shooting some aliens ? .......just to be clear [ not humans, aliens ]

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 03:10 AM
link   
i much prefer this concept:

Particle Cannon`s are a particular kind of cannon that use fusion-derived plasma particles from the reactor as projectiles. In spite of the insignificant (for the reactor's working) removed mass, the extremely high speed and heat that they reach make them devastating projectiles.
To speed up the particles a synchrotron is used. This is a particle accelerator with a toroidal shape. Along the vacuum internal chamber there is a series of superconductor magnets and radiofrequency units that produce the accelerator field. The name of this accelerator is derived from its working. During the acceleration phase there is a synchronism between the particle's motion and the electrical field that speed up the particles; continuously increasing the frequency of the electrical field and the intensity of the magnetic filed that maintains the particles in a round orbit. The accelerated mass nearly reaches the speed of light, though it can not matche or surpass it according to Einstein's theory of relativity. When the particles reach their maximum speed, they increase their mass. As the reactor can produce up to 17.6 MeV, the particles can increase their mass up to 2%. Then the particles are ready to be fired. A series of electromagnets drive the accelerated particles toward the cannon's nozzle, where the particles are directed to the target. The reload time is represented by the seconds needed to speed up the particles.
The damage caused by a shot is the consequence of a kinetic impact (like normal projectiles) and the extreme heat that it produces.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Linking in neatly with the 'nuclear hand grenade thread', this is one of the other uses suggested for the stimulated emission from Hafnium Hf178m2 - a 'super laser'.

Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. If you don't gamble you can't win, but the Russians are well up in this area.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
In case you are interested, my recent short story contest entry centered on gamma ray lasers.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

For what it's worth...

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
gamma lasers dont induce nuclear explosions, lasers are investigated for the nuclear research (inertial fusion confinement), but it dont mean that are nukers, but its seems that the only way to induce graser in nowdays technology is using a nuke

grasers were not been investigated for the neutron bomb research???

btw for the graser generation it dont need high number atoms???, i guess that they were experimented with U-Pu cristals or just the classic inert gases???

but i dont know really how could works a practical graser,if the Pu or U in the graser, icould be used as the conventional electron exitement or under controlled nuclear fision that could bring stable-frecuency gamma source -if is a mono frecuency source-

high frecuency dont mean better, high frecuency energy is absorbed easier in the enviorement, i would preffer a high power infra-red laser, but one could be better protected against such sistem, so lasers in general, suck

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemicalLaser

Concerning the graser intended for Star Wars, it was to be nuclearly pumped which is capable of providing enough energy and it was hence also never expected to hold together except for a tiny amount of time in which it was hoped some lasing action would be performed. The tests however were a failure.

Originally posted by Xenopathic_Investigator
they do. quantum entanglement pumping with a superconducting magnet and a electron barrier(photons are repelled by the electrical properties of electrons and they are attracted by the the electrical properties of protons and the nuclei. like how light is stopped by "recording" it's quantum state on the proton and then reemitted) or supercompacted Xenon fluoride or dihelium cooled by cooling lasers or metastable Positronium(electron+positron=super-small hydrogen-like atom)also supercooled by cooling lasers and compressed into a solid. The photons will be repelled by the electron rich substance and funneled into a tube chamber(thanks chemicallaser) then released.

What happened to you? Star Trek overdose?

[edit on 14-8-2005 by Simon666]

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
this document is very interesting, is an analysis from ionic canons to EM pulse inducers

www.dtic.mil/mctl/DSTL/Sec06.pdf

about grasers there are some comments.

Photon emission is severely inhibited by competition from internal conversion below 1 keV. Above 100 keV,recoil destroys the resonance between nuclei to such an extent that simple resonance and cooperative processes are suppressed. Working in this high-energy regime introduces problems not usually encountered at lower energies:
• There are no effective mirrors, so that one is forced to consider only single-pulse devices.
• The high recoil normally present during emission and absorption at these energies restricts us to Mössbauer
transitions that avoid recoil under very special but well-understood conditions.
• The high attenuation of EM radiation at these energies, largely caused by the photoelectric effect, reduces
the gain of a system of nuclei. Fortunately, under special conditions in crystals, the Borrmann Effect has been shown to enhance coupling to the nuclei preferentially (as compared with the electrons) and thus reduce attenuation caused by the photoelectric effect.

this one is other veeery interesting

Developing Critical
Technology Parameter
Beam generation:
Nuclear SF; amplified spontaneous emission
Wavelength:
~ 10 Å to 0.1 Å (concepts using recoilless emission)
~ 10Å and below (gas graser concept—single phonon emission).
Lifetime of isomeric level:
~ 100 sec to 1,000 sec (concepts using direct emission from isomeric level)
~ 1,000 sec and above (up-conversion concepts).
Temperature:
~10–9 K (for gas graser concept).
Energy stored/power out (depends on transition energy):
> 5 × 108 J/cm3
> 5 × 1010 W.
Beam intensity:
> 5.0 × 1011 W/cm2.
Gamma-ray laser is in theoretical state. Concept is in development state.
Some recent experimental work on the up-conversion concept claimed the observation of enhanced emission from the hafnium (Hf) isomer. This is controversial.
Developments in nanotechnology show promise for preparation of clean (very lowlevel inhomogeneous broadening) samples and specially designed crystals for
active media to reduce attenuation. This would enhance the possibility of observing
lasing using the concept of direct emission from isomeric levels.

and more and more and more.....veeeeery interesting document

yes , super-cooling lasers are been investigated -in theorics- for the "gas-graser", but perhaps one member just has flown with his imagination about positrons , nuclear explosions and other stuffs

there is a theory about the use of the nucleins energy layers -not electrons layers "jumps"- to induce high frecuency lasers, the main problem is the protons-nucleons handing and the energy absorcion of electrons among other issues

btw for the star wars project i think that they didnt tested grasers, onky X laser, but not gammma ones

[edit on 15-8-2005 by grunt2]

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
If you create an positron pair that combines to form positronium.If you change thier spin they become ortho-positronium and when it annihalates it creates 3 gamma photons.

now you got me on what masing medium to use. I think positronium or hydrogen. would work.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join