It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe appeal over prisoner vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:02 AM
link   

A government appeal against a European ruling that prisoners have the right to vote is due to begin.

It comes after John Hirst, 53, won a challenge that current rules denying prisoners a vote breached their rights.

Hirst, who is serving a life sentence for manslaughter, argued the European Convention on Human Rights guaranteed the "right to free election".

Meanwhile, offenders serving part-time prison terms will be allowed to vote in the election, the BBC has learned.

On Wednesday, the appeal hearing is due to go before a 17-judge grand chamber.

A final verdict will be delivered later this year

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I'm not very bothered about low-level and petty criminals having the vote but I think it reasonable that serious offenders lose that right as part of their punishment (certainly for the duration of their imprisonment).

Interesting; I wonder what the situation is in the rest of Europe and how it 'plays' there?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
I'm not very bothered about low-level and petty criminals having the vote but I think it reasonable that serious offenders lose that right as part of their punishment (certainly for the duration of their imprisonment).

serious crimes such as rape and murder, people who commit them should loose their rights to vote as apart of the punishment.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I personally believe that prisoners shouldn't have the vote, mainly due to the fact I believe it should be part of the punishment.

A question, if a prison is in a area with a fairly lowish population and prisoners have the vote, isn't there a chance the prisoners would be able to influence the area even though when they are released they won't be living in the area, this all depending on whether they have lived at the prison long enough.

new topics

top topics

join