It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

science and religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   
hello, im a newbie here, and i just want to ask about this...

"Does science and religion has a common factor? or they are two contraction factions?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   
It depends on what the subject matter of the science may be. (From evolution of man to the mysteries of the Universe... Science is much too broad a subject to answer "YES" or "NO"

It also depends on the Religion.

So I can only give you this:

The only "UNIVERSAL" similarity between most mainstream religions and (predominantly biological) science is morals. Like cloning for example. niether of them approve.

There are only two "UNIVERSAL" differences between most mainstream religions and science.

1a)Science = exists through theory AND experiment.
1b)Religion = exists through faith.

2a)Science = constantly changing and evolving.
2b)Religion = Remains untouched until times change drastically, causing new sects, but still the same basis.

Some religions as Scientology and Christian Science(or Christian Reading.)
Are based on NEW AGE Science, like selfhelp and power of the mind.
So personally I don't consider them a religion OR science.

Hope this helps to explain a little, and I think I might have strayed from the question...

Any one else got ideas and ideals?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Remember,

If you are to accept certain religions, you must completely submit yourself to that religion. In other words, you are to completely disregard science when it comes to religion, unless that science supports your religious views.

Science and religion do have comon factors. Mainly, they are both methods used by people to explain their surroundings. Science is based on observation, experience and experiment like stated above, mathematics, and logic. Religion is based on fantasy and faith.

The two have absolutely no common ground. Though wacko christian fundies will say science proves their points, it really only proves them to be dilusional. Afraid of the reality they live in.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Seapeople, you must enjoy being wrong. I feel sorry for you. The momment you start using absolutes your who point is a lost cause. Especially when you start degrading the other side as being inferior.

I think both Science and religion are far to broad of topic to say there is not a common factor, or are complelty contradictiory. To say otherwise are only to show your intolerance for the others, or a hubris, and arrogance of how 'your side' is superior to the other.

Sceince and religon have helped eachother become stronger. Like all religions there are some points of contention that causes friction between the two. But in all they both serve to impove our lives

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by rodnie
"Does science and religion has a common factor? or they are two contraction factions?

If you take the Bible some science that is discovered is later found to be mentioned in the Bible.

One thing that has to be mentioned when it comes to God(Father,Son, Holy Spirit) He is not part of His creation. He is distinct from His creation and is in charge of His creation. As such He has the power to suspend or alter elements of His creation. Examples, parting of the Red Sea, Sun stopping still in the sky, the earth rotating backward, Jesus defying gravity to ascend to heaven etc.

While some will say that these prove the Bible false, I say they prove how powerful God is.

Most people's concept of who God is is too small.

top topics

join