It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STOP with the broad generalizations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
This thread, sadly enough, will likely be ignored because it's in BTS, and no one pays attention to threads in BTS...

I just made a generalization that will likely turn out to be true, but on the same token, I won't be surprised if only one or two people even read this post, but I would like to be pleasantly surprised to see people reading and discussing this topic.

I'm seeing a disturbing trend lately in the media, and here on ATS/BTS, where very broad generalizations are being made (these are usually fallacious appeals to emotion), which end up muddying and obfuscating the original argument or point.

Example:

Some Muslim (or Islamic government, etc.) did something evil, therefore all Muslims are evil.
or
Some Muslim did something evil, therefore all of Islam is evil.

The truth is, that entity that did something evil is evil, not all Muslims or the Islamic religion. I've personally known many Muslims that abhor violence, particularly suicide bombers.

Would it be ethical of me to say the following?

Since some pro-life people like murdering abortion doctors, the entire pro-life movement espouses such violence.

The problem with such statements is it naturally provokes someone to say something stupid in opposition to the above statements. Someone might present isolated instances of Christian violence in response to the first set of quotes, or violence committed by liberals in response to the last quote. After that, most of the arguments for that thread become pointless because they're all retorts utilizing that one stupid fallacy.

Nonetheless, this post can easily be summed up in one picture: :bnghd:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I agree.

All ATS members (except me) are guilty of the most broadly sweeping generalizations, every day.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
This sort of thing has been rampart for ages. And it will continue, considering people making these generalizations anger most who disagree.

Looks like a catch-22, as alot of people are educated by discussion on such generalized statements. Admittedly, many are under-educated by these things.

Let's face it, it's easier to argue when little is being said.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I try to ignore threads with fallacious appeals to emotion, but then I think, "If I ignore it, that conversation will become more asinine, and those people will continue to walk around with asinine notions floating in their head."

For some strange reason, I always have this great urge to inform people of the truth, and try to bring them out of their stupidity, even if I think such efforts might be useless.

For a while, I ignored ATS/BTS because I feared that the stupidity might rub off on me, although, I can't deny that I sometimes get irked by some of the blind conservatism around here.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
I agree.

All ATS members (except me) are guilty of the most broadly sweeping generalizations, every day.

You're always so witty MA - When I grow up I want to be just like you

Wait...Did I just make a generalization about you?

supercheetah - You do bring up a very good point....Controversial issues here on the boards always attract the dullest stars in our little universe, respectively....

To me, I see it as shock value - These people "get off" on insulting large groups of people to watch the way they react because they don't get enough attention in their regular lives to be considered worth a damn....Or they're just so thoroughly foolish that they actually believe what they're saying...

Very sad....

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Controversial issues often devolve into one-liner posts that really sound like the participants are channeling kindergarteners at recess. Trying to put a handle on it has been like trying to chase down a roomfull of mice.

On the other hand, we DO get a lot of good discussions here. I'd just rather not see Sturgeon's law apply to the board (90% of everything is drivel.)

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Trying to put a handle on it has been like trying to chase down a roomfull of mice.

Byrd inevitably, always uses the most bizarre mixed metaphors in lieu of broad sweeping generalizations.

But I thought the ATS Rodent Control program was reserved for more clandestine discussion in R.A.T.S.

R.A.T.S. always has the best topics.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by supercheetah

I DO NOT generalize BROADS...
I treat each of them with exclusivity...

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quake

Originally posted by supercheetah

I DO NOT generalize BROADS...
I treat each of them with exclusivity...
All puns are dumb...

new topics

top topics

join