It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S. 'Minutemen' target Canadian border

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Chris Simcox, a co-organizer of the Minuteman Project, has said that the group is currently organizing efforts to expand the Minuteman Project to the US - Canada border; beginning with Idaho, Michigan, North Dakota and Vermont. No timeline has been given for the northern patrols, but he hopes to have the entire US - Mexico border patrolled by October. They have estimated it will take $8 billion dollars and three years to secure the US - Canada border.

cnews.canoe.ca
A civilian patrol group that has been monitoring the Mexican border for illegal immigrants wants to expand its mission to the Canadian border, organizers said Tuesday. Minuteman Project leaders said their volunteers alerted U.S. authorities to more than 330 cases this month of illegal immigrants crossing into the United States across a 37-kilometre stretch of Arizona's southern border.

Now they plan to extend their patrol along the rest of the border with Mexico and are helping organize similar efforts in four states that neighbour Canada.

"In the absence of the federal government doing its mandated duty to secure our borders, we will pick up the slack. Reluctantly," said Chris Simcox, a Minuteman co-organizer who also operates Civil Homeland Defense, another Arizona group that monitors illegal immigration.

"We shouldn't have to be doing this," Simcox said in Washington, where he was to meet with legislators Wednesday.

"But at this point, we will continue to grow this operation - also to the northern border."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems that the organizers of the Minuteman Project are pleased enough with the results in Arizona, that they wish to protect all of the borders. I think the challenge might be a little different on the US - Canada border, though. These men will not be detaining Mexican's looking for a better life. What they may encounter are some very nasty drug-smugglers and biker gangs, and quite possibly, some Asian people who are being smuggled across the border by the Chinese gangs to work off their passage to North America. While I think all of these are serious problems that need to be addressed, I think they need to be very cautious if they go ahead with this. People might not just get hurt; they may be killed.

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com
www.wtvm.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The Minuteman project seeks volunteers
AZ Gen says Army solders may not help Minuteman
NEWS: Minuteman Project Reports First Group of Illegal Immigrants

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
It's all fun and games until you start targeting white people. Somehow I feel this won't be as popular as the vigilante movement against the brown people.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I'm sure posting such a thread would be interesting. If its purpose is news worth mentioning I suppose it must be considered for ATS.
However, one can't help but feel it will create a Flame thread and that by posting this there will be much more tolerence allotted by moderators as to the written wars that will soon follow between Candian and American ATS contributors?

Dallas

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
This is not targeted at Canadian citizens who can freely cross the border legally at the checkpoints. It's to catch smugglers and illegals passing through Canada.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Question-
Isn't this really to keep Americans in?

How many Candaian smugglers sneak in that are going to be caught by these guys?

How many Americans sneaking out - - - -

Those AWOL troops, some others- let's see how the score on this one ends up.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Curme, take your racist, condescending comments elsewhere; I'm not in the mood for them. Furthermore, do not attempt to cross swords with me.

As far as the topic of the thread is concerned, what I find disturbing is that it takes an organization of private citizens to do what the federal government is obliged to do - protect the nation's borders. Because the government refuses to do its job, that leaves the citizenry to ask just one question - why?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:14 AM
link   
djohnsto77 is right. The people that will be targeted are smugglers and illegals. The problem is that these are mostly controlled by very well-armed gangs, who don't worry about hurting people who get in their way. They are going after our version of 'organized crime'.

I think both our governments should crack down on the border. As a Canadian, I have to tell you the security going down (your side) is not nearly as thorough as when I go come back. Probably because my government wants any taxes they might be owed.

Both sides have an interest in seeing illegal cross-border between our countries stopped; you don't want the marijuana, and we don't want the guns and coc aine the gangs receive in payment for it.

And as for this turning into a 'flame thread', I assure you, that was not my intention. I thought this was really interesting, and as long as they stay in the US and don't cross the border, I can't complain about them. I just think that they need to be very aware of what they may be getting into.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
TC i dont think Curme was being racsist, i think he was commenting on how racsist the rest of the population may be... and i agree, i dont think this will have nearly as much support as the operation on the mexican border...

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I agree with you Duzey, and not just because I am a fellow Canadian.

The point about possible Mafia and/or gangs clashing with armed civilian groups is very disturbing. Boo-hoo!! on both countries governments and of course ourselves for letting such practices happen.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
TC, you have to understand, cureme assumes racisim must be at the core of this movement. I'm guessing cureme hasn't heard any interviews, in full, with members of the minutemen. I'm guessing cureme hasn't heard about the local Arizona television station that tried to imbed reporters into the ranks of the minutement who kept trying to get the minutemen to start using racist language and making racist comments. I'm guessing cureme hadn't heard that those two TV reporters were kicked out of the minutemen because they were thought to be there for motives other than securing the border. I'm guessing cureme assumes that, whenever another race may be involved with something, caucasions are at fault, particularly republicans. I'm guessing cureme also assumes the America is not a soverign nation, but a human right. Finally, I'm guessing that cureme assumes that anyone who doesn't see this "vigilante" mission as not being racist must be a white republican racist. Oh, the irony

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   

curme said
It's all fun and games until you start targeting white people. Somehow I feel this won't be as popular as the vigilante movement against the brown people.

Yep, gonna be something. Let a few Canucks (?) get beat while being 'detained' and we may see a real border problem up north.

As to 'fun and games,' I never saw it like that. The southern border has been flooded by immigrants.

Some of what Mexicans are leaving:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks
Question-
Isn't this really to keep Americans in?

How many Candaian smugglers sneak in that are going to be caught by these guys?

How many Americans sneaking out - - - -

Those AWOL troops, some others- let's see how the score on this one ends up.

LOL...also this could lead to more searches of those US senior citizens trying to sneak in cheaper prescription drugs from Canada. Can't have that now.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Vajrayana said
. . . lead to more searches . . .

Cavity next?

Exactly what are the Minutemen going to do next to Canada? Those guys are from Arizona and probably don't know what Molson's is of what 'eh' means.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   

LOL...also this could lead to more searches of those US senior citizens trying to sneak in cheaper prescription drugs from Canada. Can't have that now.

Yeah stop them too, they're stealing from the Canadian Taxpayer who pays for subsidized medicine. If they are forced to pay full price then it's a wasted trip and I have no problem with that.

As for this version of the Minute Men be carefull. You guys are not just tangling with a bunch of starving and desperate immigrants trying to find a better life, the majority of illigal boarder crossings between the US and Canada are done mostly by the Hell's Angels and Triad's, favorite weapon of an HA is a sawed off and a Triads is an Uzi. Hope you guys know what you're getting into....

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   

As for this version of the Minute Men be carefull. You guys are not just tangling with a bunch of starving and desperate immigrants trying to find a better life, the majority of illigal boarder crossings between the US and Canada are done mostly by the Hell's Angels and Triad's, favorite weapon of an HA is a sawed off and a Triads is an Uzi. Hope you guys know what you're getting into....

Hmmm and here I thought it was against the law in Canada to own such weapons. Tsk Tsk.:shk::shk::shk:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   

LOL...apparently he didn't deserve a break that day.

Originally posted by sardion2000Yeah stop them too, they're stealing from the Canadian Taxpayer who pays for subsidized medicine. If they are forced to pay full price then it's a wasted trip and I have no problem with that.

Yes indeed, things can turn ugly real quick...
[Senior] "That's a fine job your doing there my young whippersnappers"
[Minutemen] "Sorry Pops, We still got to search your trunk and 'that' cavity"
[Senior]"Well, darn gone-it"

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Here's an ODD question-

why hasn't this 'submission' been accepted

High level interest and no acceptance! Makes me wonder about this system

[edit on 27-4-2005 by JoeDoaks]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Shots, it is heh(well Uzi's anyway not sure about Sawed off's I guess they are too as they are concealable and/or illigally modified etc) those guns those guys are carrying were most likely brought up from down south

[edit on 27-4-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
When deterred from our southern border, people with evil intentions against the civilian population of the U.S. will look for other points of entry. I commend the Minutemen Organization for having the wherewithal to anticipate this and expand their operations. This expansion is also a good sign. Though not condoning this operation, Washington isn't trying to quell it either. Kudos to these private citizens who sacrifice their time to protect the Homeland.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
i think they should focus on the southern border. Northern border needs to be addressed, but it should be by a different group of similiar background. Dont want to give one group control over all borders nor have their focus diverted from teh more important southern border.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join