It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: NSA rats out 10,000 US Citizens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Recent reports show that the National Security Agency regularly supplies uncensored information, including names of Americans to other U.S. agencies far more than many top intel officials knew.

cryptome.org
The National Security Agency is not supposed to target Americans; when a U.S. citizen's name comes up in an NSA "intercept," the agency routinely minimizes dissemination of the info by masking the name before it distributes the report to other U.S. agencies. But it's now clear the agency disseminates thousands of U.S. names.

According to information obtained by NEWSWEEK, since January 2004 NSA received -- and fulfilled -- between 3,000 and 3, 500 requests from other agencies to supply the names of U.S. citizens and officials (and citizens of other countries that help NSA eavesdrop around the world, including Britain, Canada and Australia) that initially were deleted from raw intercept reports. Sources say the number of names disclosed by NSA to other agencies during this period is more than 10,000.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Normally the NSA does not supply this information when requested to ensure American citizens confidentiality. However, when John Bolton (we are becoming very familiar with this name as of recent) requested the names of American citizens to be disclosed, it turned the heads of some civil libertarians

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Who is watching who? Stuff like this* makes me nervous.

*Not the spying on us, I knew that. The super agency of all of them screws up and violates its own rules (charter too I imagine).

No wonder so many people get freaky when the Census takers come by. No one believe their information is confidential.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
well i hope that i was one those 10,000 people. The report would read:

Lazy

That is all.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   
w00t im not american....erm...yeah....

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I beleive it was 60 Minutes who did a segment on the NSA about how certain 'keywords' used during telephone discussion will be automatically fed into the NSA for monitoring. can you imagine what happens with Website info, emails and data transmissions..

Dallas

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   
When I grow up can I be on that list please? My 15 mins of fame...

seriously Google "Project Echelon"

Hours of interesting reading

[edit on 27-4-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
'Rats out'?? Didn't the 9/11 Commission results say that agencies
had to share information about suspected individuals? Didn't they
say that if agencies had been sharing info, then 9/11 could have
been mitigated? So NSA shares info on suspected people. So what?
If they aren't doing anything wrong, then they have nothing to worry
about. If they are doing something wrong, then NSA is following the
guidelines of the 9/11 Commission.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
If they aren't doing anything wrong, then they have nothing to worry
about.

1. The definition of wrong is mutable. The definition can change over night, and then it's trains, and camps, and 'showers' for all those who don't conform.

2. America is driven by the idea of Freedom. Freedom is more than just a word used to get yourself elected by the lower 75%. Freedom is an ideal, a perfect, imagined state of being. When we stop striving towards freedom, it makes the sacrifices of those who came before cheap and tawdry. America may be hypocritical to the bone, but at least lets preserve the ideal in lieu of delivery.

This is the standard argument, the idea that if you're not guilty, you have nothing to worry about. It is used to defend random searches, roadblocks, home invasions, wire taps, and all sorts of other terrorist tactics employed by oppressive regimes like those toppled in Iran and Iraq at various times in history. It's wrong given the stated goal of America. It's right, given the actual hypocrisy and blatant oppression that thrives here.

Who were those ten thousand? We'll probably never know.

Never forget, you could be #10,001.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Ahhh, the old "they have nothing to worry about if they're not doing something wrong".

Do you really think there's 10,000 U.S. Citizens plotting with terrorists every year? That number alone should tell you that every kid that says "nuke-em" on the phone or email is getting his name passed around every security agency in the country right now.

Either that, or the US has the largest and most pitiful group of terrorists in the world - 10,000 of them haven't managed to build a simple car bomb or take a single hostage, ever.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
There is one other piece that no one has mentioned here yet and I am very surprised at it. Ok, The NSA released information to other organizations and to Bolton. The question that I have is, other than names, what other information may have been released?
In today's America, the information that is routinely kept on us is grossly inaccurate. Look at what has been reported lately with the mis-information that was kept and diseminated by ChoicePoint. The information was way out of line with reality.
So now we have a goverment agency that is keeping some kind of information on us, what kind we don't know. This agency is spreading this information.
This last part sounds suspiciously like the old McArthy ERA. "You have nothing to worry about if you are not a "Commie" or a "Commie Sympathiser"

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Do you really think there's 10,000 U.S. Citizens plotting
with terrorists every year?

Why do you assume that it's 10,000 allegedly connected
with terrorists? The names passed along could be for other
things as well. And as far as there being 10,000 US citizens
who sympathize with the terrorists .. yep... I'm sure there
probably ARE that many, if not more.

Look at that idiot professor Churchill. Ever take a look at
the 'Little Saudi' section of Detroit? Ever listen to the
rhetoric coming out of Mosques here in America??
www.homelandsecurityus.com... Read about what
is being preached in some mosques here.

Yep. 10,000 isn't a high number AND the NSA is following
what the 9/11 commission said to do - SHARE INFO.
Suspect people are being watched. So what?

[edit on 4/27/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I would applaud the NSA if they shared information regarding terrorists.

Unfortunately terrorists approve their budget every year, so the NSA has to content itself with sharing information regarding American citizens.

A shame really...

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   

And as far as there being 10,000 US citizens

Ahh, the evil sympathizers. Better put my name on the list beause I sympathize with Afgani and Iraqi people whose countries were invaded and their people killed because of something done by two dozen Saudi Arabians. But like they say, sympathy is a word in the dictionary between **** and syphilis.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
what ever happened to freedom of speech?

by the way we have freedom of sympathy too!
if i want to sympathize with michael jackson*despite his obvious guilt*
its legal for me to do so
ya michael is a terrorist; he terrorized little boys in his bedroom

i dont sympathize with him; but i can , and its perfectly legal

if someone wants to "feel sorry" for the terrorists; so be it
let them be an idiot
who cares
get a life
mind your OWN BUISNESS

there hasnt been 1 terrorist attack in america since 911
why?
because americans arent into that stuff
maybe 5 out of 300,000,000 of us are into it
but im sure they caught those 5psychopaths already
so get over it!

Mind Your Own Buisness

Stop telling people what they can and cant preach in their Mosque!!!
do you hear what they preach at Baptist Churches these days???
they should stop the christians too! they preach just as much hate and disdain for the muslims as the muslims teach towards the christians

you ever read any of those American based Religious websites??
they are complete utter insanity!!!

its hypocritical to focus on the muslims when we have 10 million christian terrorists festering here at home already

im just playing devils advocate here ; so dont get all offended or anything
and if you dont beleive me about american religions going nutzo than i will find some websites of some of the more 'radical' of the american churches

theres websites saying "praise god the tsunami killed those godless indonesians"
its seriously equal to the muslim terrorists in its wacky-ness

but im sure; the NSA watches them too

and the NSA watches people with the screen name "haha_911_was_hilarious_haha"
names like that probably send red flags everywhere on their NSA computers....im sure they look very closely at bizzare individuals who use names of that nature

i doubt the individuals are of any true threat; because they are probably just a 8yr old being , well, and 8yr old...

im sure the NSA quickly figures that out; and then doesnt care about it anymore

well; to those that support the imprisonment of their contrymen Because of what those other countrymen THINK, that is UNCONSTITUTIONAL
read the constitution and you will discover that arresting someone for having an OPINION is competely UNamerican in every way possible!

so what if you disagree with their nutzo ideas
Get a Life
and Mind your Own Buisness

thank you

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Why do you assume that it's 10,000 allegedly connected
with terrorists?

Because 99.9% any security problem will ultimately be connected with Terrorism. As with nearly any other first world country. It's just the intense times we live in.

The names passed along could be for other
things as well.

There is no greater threat in the world than Terrorism according to the U.S. government. Remember, that's why we're fighting a war on it. The War on Drugs sort of took a backseat, look at California.

And as far as there being 10,000 US citizens

No one can sympathize with a terrorist. At least no one should. At best, one can only understand their intentions. And regardless, 10,000 people with complete knowledge of the mechanics of terrorism is not a large enough threat to warrant the disclose of their identities to other government organizations.

Look at that idiot professor Churchill. Ever take a look at
the 'Little Saudi' section of Detroit? Ever listen to the
rhetoric coming out of Mosques here in America??
www.homelandsecurityus.com... Read about what
is being preached in some mosques here.

Freedom of Speech is what our country is founded on. Take that away, and America will no longer be America.

Yep. 10,000 isn't a high number AND the NSA is following
what the 9/11 commission said to do - SHARE INFO.

Sharing information is different than going against a long time tradition of keeping information on certain Americans confidential. Remember, the Gestapo had a similar organization before the creation of the Third Reich.

Suspect people are being watched. So what?

The fact that we have a terrorist watch list is absurd. If these people are threats, then the government should take the initiation to interrogate these people, not simply place them on a list so they can be watched. Watched for what, their first terrorist attack? What are the CIA going to say then...'Oh we knew he was going to do that, no worries'.

new topics

top topics

join