It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Purloined Letter? Mis-info? Worthless?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I was messing around with the instructions in this thread for searching with google:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And I came across this site:
permanent.access.gpo.gov...

There's 16 PDF files there; I've only taken a cursory glance at the first one. It appears to be a document from mid July of 1947, scanned (quite poorly I might add) and thrown into digitla format. I'm downloading all of them (broadband is great), and I'll be going over them, but I thought everyone here might want to take a look for themselves. If this has been found before and discussed, please let me know; I didn't know what exactly I could search for. If you're wanting to go there and download all of the files be warned: the smallest one is about 4.5 MB and the whole collection is 87.5 MB.

Anyone who can take a little time to go through them before I get a chance is more than welcome to add their comments.

EDIT: From what I've seen so far in going through them, it seems to be quite a large number of reports the FBI took from the late 40's through the early 60's. There is a very large amount of data to go through, so there may be something that slipped through their permanent markers; it will take some time to go through it all and really find out. From what I see right now though there isn't too much of a smoking gun. Of course, I've scanned maybe about 20 pages; the one file I'm looking at right now has 148 total...

[edit on 4/26/2005 by MCory1]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Hmmmm....no one has any comments at all? Did I pick a stupid subject line or something? Or are the files just too large? I would appreciate a little feedback one way or another. Has anyone looked through these at all? I know they do seem to be merely reports made to the FBI, but they are pretty interesting (IMHO). Anyone?

EDIT: Just for those who may not know (or if I'm wrong, those who do know can correct me), the "Purloined Letter" is from a Poe short story where a missing letter is "hidden" out in the open for everyone to see. Everyone is searching for it and never thinks that it may be right in front of them.

[edit on 4/27/2005 by MCory1]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Actually on onging project of mine. Didn't check the link, but I'm assuming you mean the documents available from the FOIA Electronic Reading Room. Don't forget to check the CIA's FOIA documents as well, so theres even more for ya,

There are literally thousands of pages to go through, so happy hunting...

By the way, there are some gems there... Unless it's changed, look at page 14, then consider the date, etc.

[edit on 27-4-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I was wondering why you hadn't posted something like this before Gaz. I don't know if it's in the FOIA reading room or not; what I found is a directory listing like you get from a site that doesn't have an index.html page (and doesn't have the listing turned off). Navigating from that directory I did find a similar section for the CIA, but there wasn't really anything there. (Strangely, deep in the CIA section there is a directory named PDF_GIF_anal_meth; I'll let some of the more adventurous check that one out.)

If you go to the link I posted and click parent directory a couple of times (or delete everything after "websites") you'll get a list of different government site archives, with lots of docs. Of interest I noted the /dodandmilitaryejournals/. I'm sure there's nothing particularly classified, but I'm sure some of the military buffs on here would love it.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I was looking through FOIA sites, and just to let you know there are more from CIA, NSA, DOD and NASA. Each one I think had a UFO section, but didn't see anything stand out. There’s a lot to go through. BTW, some of these sites also have a request page.

I also noticed while at UFOevidence, they have links to these sites and their UFO pages, but the links are all broke. This would happen if the FOIA sites would change a directory. But I find it funny that links to different branches of the govt. all changed there directories? The info is still there, but harder to look up. Hmm...

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
By the way, there are some gems there... Unless it's changed, look at page 14, then consider the date, etc.

[edit on 27-4-2005 by Gazrok]

I'm not looking through the site; the files I downloaded are "ufoX.pdf", where X is a number 1-16. Is what you're refering to in one of these?

EDIT: Took the time and did the math; there are 1,616 pages in all the documents combined...

[edit on 4/27/2005 by MCory1]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I'm talking about page 14 as it shows on the actual FOIA Electronic Reading Room Site, for the FBI. As mentioned, there are other rooms for other agencies such as CIA, NSA, NASA, etc. Also, be sure to look under "Unexplained Phenomena" as many of the UFO files are there and not in "UFOs" oddly enough.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I still couldn't find the actual page you were talking about; apparently I didn't have some kind of great find on my hands. Everything that I have is listed on the FBI site (Parts 1-16). Oh well...fun to read at least.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
A prospecting analogue might be useful here. MCory, if you are prospecting for gold you need to be familiar with
gravels and gold float. Few prospectors ever find a mother load. But many find valuable things because they learn
as they go. Cinnabar comes to mind. The red, soft rock the indians used to use for war paint. Smelt that and you
get quicksilver - mercury.

"I didn't have some kind of great find on my hands." == MCory

Well, I am betting that you found something most have never seen. I knew about them but never had the opportunity to read
before. Thanks. Excellent period pieces but not considered really useful to Gold Prospectors (believers) or the Silver Prospectors (skeptics).
Since I am neither, I appreciate your finding of Cinnabar. If I had to guess what your Cinnabar is, I would take a hint from the
search function on the primary page of your link.

frwebgate.access.gpo.gov...

[NSIAD-95-187] Government Records: Results of a Search for Records Concerning the 1947 Crash Near Roswell, New Mexico

This is, of course, the GAO report submitted to Congressman Schiff dated 28 July 1995. That report references
the Federal Bureau of Investigation, FOIA records on unidentified flying objects Washington, D.C. Which would explain why the GAO has retained their availability.

And far more than fun to read. I would be interested to hear any discussion of it you might throw out, but be warned, It probably would
not be popular in this forum and a ho-hummm thing on skeptic sites. For those who use a telephoto lens for everything, the wide
angle view is not of interest.

top topics

join