It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea Launch Propels DIRECTV Satellite Spaceward

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
space.com...

The first of several new satellites to substantially expand the high-definition channel offering by direct-to-home television broadcaster DIRECTV successfully rocketed into Earth orbit this morning.

The commercial Sea Launch Zenit 3SL booster put the Spaceway 1 satellite into geosynchronous transfer orbit following a 30-minute flight that began at 0731 GMT (3:31 a.m. EDT) from a converted oil-drilling platform floating in equatorial waters of the Pacific about 1,400 miles south of Hawaii.

The two Ukrainian-made lower stages of the rocket performed their firings to propel the Russian Block DM-SL upper stage and Spaceway 1 satellite out of the atmosphere during the initial 9 minutes of flight. The upper stage then took over, completing one engine burn to reach the intended orbit.

While flying above the eastern coast of Brazil, explosive bolts holding the 13,376-pound satellite to the spent rocket motor were detonated, allowing small springs to release Spaceway 1. By design, tip-off rates were imparted on the satellite to create a gentle tumble as it moved away at one-foot-per-second.

well all you DIRECTV owners...

here is some great news...

you gotta love technology...

ENJOY!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Hmmm, you know what. I never really knew, (but I had always wondered) how all those satellites get into orbit, because you never hear about their launches.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheJeSta
Hmmm, you know what. I never really knew, (but I had always wondered) how all those satellites get into orbit, because you never hear about their launches.

until now...

yes, space is for business too...

new topics

join