It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2006 TV Blackout Distraction Maneuver?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Guys check out this link: msnbc.msn.com... It appears that there will be a massive television breakdown on that day due to the change from analog to digital. I've read alot of posts about the end of the world on 2006 or 20012 and aliens and the goverment having to do something with it. It seems congress already had this planned for December, 31 2006. I've bearly read enough End of the World and 2006 disaster posts to understand this in it's integrity so can the more experience members give there output on this?

EDIT: Yet again, Grammar ^^.

[edit on 26-4-2005 by Azure Twilight]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Who cares, I've got Digital Satellite and have done for ages.

IF there is an actual breakdown in the digital services as well then that might seem suspicious, but not knowing the 'mechanics' as such of such a change I cannot comment for certain/

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The only disaster is if you haven’t bought a digital television set by that date.

There is more than one constant in life, change being one------and purveyors of gloom and doom the other.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Yeah right, thinking about it the 'disaster' of not having TV might actually be a blessing in disguise - I swear it dumbs me down - yet it is so strangely addictive.... Mmmmmmmm TV....

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Americans have had this to look forward to for years. So hasn't the media. If either fails to follow the gov ordered.
I have my digital system. everyone that i know either already has one or have the converter box.
This is another 2K scare to me.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
First I heard about a TV reception blackout in 2006 'from analog to disgital signal being the reason?'.
Buy a good radio which is also battery operated. What Iv'e been hearing for some time now is the big calhuna date is Dec 18, 2012.

I'll do some looking as far as predictions in 2006.

Dallas

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Well, 70 million tv sets turned into low-tech paperweights isn't a "massive breakdown." There's well over 248 million tv sets in the US:
www.census.gov...

So the greatest possible number of people inconvenienced for an evening will be 1/4th of the population of the US. And mind you this is an evening when a lot of folks go out to party. As the date creeps up, there will be ads and announcements and devices (including some fraudulent ones) available for sale.

Like Y2K, this one's going to pass not with a bang but a faint sigh.

And really, would it hurt anyone to be without tv for a day? You've got radio, video, movies, Internet, newspapers, etc.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Like Y2K, this one's going to pass not with a bang but a faint sigh.

lol, that reminds me, on new year's eve 1999, i was working the door at my uncle's club...and around 10:30pm, the power went out for a 10 block radius for about 30 seconds....everybody was so drunk by that time, they all started laughing...but for a moment, i was like "oh my god!! its really happening!!"

LMAO

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Hey I loved Y2k. I made a pretty penny sitting in my office waiting and waiting for the internet and intranets to start to fail. Was paid triple time plus given an additional $2,500 just to be in the office "just in case"
Maybe I can swing a similar deal on 12-31-2006

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Oh man, 70 million people won't get to see the apple drop on tv....

Oh, the horror!!!

[/sarcasm]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
If anything maybe people will get some excerise buying a new tv

were all gonna die !

(someday)

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
..... - I swear it dumbs me down - yet it is so strangely addictive.... Mmmmmmmm TV....

I think you are not alone with that comment.

TV is the distraction - period.

Watch less TV folks.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by one_small_step

Originally posted by AgentSmith
..... - I swear it dumbs me down - yet it is so strangely addictive.... Mmmmmmmm TV....

I think you are not alone with that comment.
TV is the distraction - period.
Watch less TV folks.

To paraphrase Calvin and Hobbes mimicking Marx,
T.V. is the opiate of the masses.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
You know, there is GOOD tv too you know....

Of course, this is coming from a guy who'll watch documentaries on TLC, THC, or TDC, and then watch Survivor.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Actually, it really won't be that big of a deal. It really will just impact those people that receive over-the-air signals.

From MSNBC.com (www.msnbc.msn.com...):

"The really big question: What will happen to all those old-fashioned television sets we’re still buying when the analog transmitters go off the air? To continue to receive free broadcast television via antenna, you’ll have to buy a digital converter box; cost estimates range from $100 or so in 2006 down to $50 by 2008. (Those converters won’t turn older sets into fancy high-definition sets; they will only restore conventional TV service, in digital format.

(snip)

Many analog television owners won’t need a converter: 85 percent of Americans now get all their television from cable or satellite providers, so for the most part the change-over won’t affect them. "

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Frankly, I'm looking forward to this date. In my area there are a lot of elderly people, and I'm sure they'll need new tvs.

Good thing I work at a major electronic store...

spartacus out

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
You know, there is GOOD tv too you know....

Of course, this is coming from a guy who'll watch documentaries on TLC, THC, or TDC, and then watch Survivor.

THC?? ohh the channel...my bad...

Seriously though...does this mean by next year I have to replace 3 tvs here?I got cable..does that count?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Seriously though...does this mean by next year I have to replace 3 tvs here?I got cable..does that count?

You should be fine. The problem really is for those people with analog TV’s. When the change over to digital occurs, TV. Stations will be broadcasting digital signals instead of analog signals, so those with analog TV’s won't be able to view the over-the-air channels.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I think anyone that wants TV will have to sign up with TimeWarner or whoever. There will be a monthly fee to watch ANY TV. I'm sure everyone here has heard of the "they're watching us through our TVs" conspiracy. Well, they'll at least know what it is that we are watching at any given time.

Hmm..."paying" homage to an "image"...where have a heard that before...

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
So what does this mean? That rabbit ears will be no more? No more regular broadcast television? As long as you got cable or satellite, your ok? I hope so.

As long as it means I dont have to go out and buy 3 HD tvs, I'll be ok.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join