It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actress Speaks Out About 9/11 & Politics...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Maggie Gyllenhaal Tackles 9/11 Politics

Maggie Gyllenhaal has waded into sensitive political waters by raising questions about Sept. 11 and American foreign policy.

The 27-year-old actress, who stars in a new film about the 2001 terror attacks on the World Trade Center, said in an interview last week that the United States "is responsible in some way" for the attacks.

entertainment.msn.com...

In a statement issued Monday by her publicist, Gyllenhaal said Sept. 11 was "an occasion to be brave enough to ask some serious questions about America's role in the world. Because it is always useful as individuals or nations to ask how we may have knowingly or unknowingly contributed to this conflict.

"Not to have the courage to ask these questions of ourselves is to betray the victims of 9/11."

She also expressed her grief for "everyone who suffered and everyone who died in the catastrophe."

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Gee. And liberals always accuse conservatives of "blaming the victim."

Amazing.

If a tree falls in a forest, and there is no one around to hear it, is America still at fault?

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Dr. Strangecraft, you don't know what you're talking about!

Maggie Gyllenhaal is a Hollywood actress, and therefore she understands the details of world politics much better than you or I ever could.

If you want any answers to our country's economic or international problems -- or even whom to vote for -- you should always ask yourself whom the Hollywood actors are voting for and what they think, because they are so much wiser than we are.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street

Maggie Gyllenhaal is a Hollywood actress, and therefore she understands the details of world politics much better than you or I ever could.

If you want any answers to our country's economic or international problems -- or even whom to vote for -- you should always ask yourself whom the Hollywood actors are voting for and what they think, because they are so much wiser than we are.

I'd be laughing my arse off if this wasn't so true to so many sheeple

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street

Perfect! got to love your answer LOL

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
keep in mind that actors are used to reading lines. obviously, she is yet another actor who has been given a script to read from the ultra liberal left.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Who exactly was it that entrusted the government of California to Arnold Schwarzenegger? What clinched it? Was it the succession of notable performances resulting in copious Academy Awards that did it for him? Or the erstwhile manner in which he has conducted himself in business, and especially with female colleagues, over the years?

Hollywood actors are not stupid because they are Hollywood actors, nor are they devoid of opinion because they are Hollywood actors. Not all can be typecast as Anna Nicole Smith.

Maggie Gyllenhaal graduated in 1999 from Columbia with a B.A. in Literature and Eastern Religion.

Here's an 'inspirational quote' from her to help your success in presenting the truth for people who don't want to know it: "My first bad review almost destroyed me. I wept and wept, and when I realized I had to go do the play that night and for several more weeks, I wept some more. I almost quit acting but realized all I could do was focus, get better and stop reading reviews."

And, lo and behold, she is expressing an opinion about the very subject matter of the film that she is cast in, for which she researched the background on events as well as her character. Heaven forbid!

On a scale of knowledge of global events surrounding 9/11, this "Hollywood actor" has immediately greater claims than anyone who presents credentials as "ATS conspiracy website member".

But go ahead and tear her to shreds. Take Arnie down with her while you're at it.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   

You have voted MaskedAvatar for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

I couldn't have said it better.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The only difference between Gyllenhaal and Schwartzenegger is that one was elected to public office and one was not -- and in my book that doesn't count for much, anyway.

And as far as her education? My first undergrad was in English, too,where my specialty was 19th Century British Romantic Poets; does that give me a pass on pronouncements regarding Peak Oil? Hardly.

I'm not saying that Gyllenhaal is right or wrong any more that Arnold is right or wrong. Just because politically-minded actors (or their publicists) make their opinions known does not make them fools.

The fools are those who listen to those pronouncements and buy into them -- because the people who make them are "famous".

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
But I was focusing on the content of her opinion, rather than her status as a political/moral authority (how she earns a buck is irrelevant if, like me, her specialty is not within the topic of debate.)

I have done a fair amount of research on this topic, too; but as Masked Avatar points out, there is no reason for you to be impressed by my knowledge base.

My difference of opinion with her is philosophical.

I think it improper to blame the victim for the bad acts of the perpetrators.

Saying that Americans are (even passively) responsible for 9-11 is morally analagous to claiming that a rape victim was "asking for it" by dressing provocatively or venturing out alone after dark.

My own value system is that I am responsible for my every action, for my moods, and for my own beliefs. You don't "make" me act or behave in a specific way.

Is America responsible for the economic situation in the Middle East?

Certainly, western governments and MULTINATIONAL corporations definitely have propped up tyrannical and corrupt regimes. But then, so have fundamentalist clerics. The wahhabi support of the House of Sa'ud is a great example. The Shia Universities' support for the Iranian government might be another.

But more to the point. The 9-1-1 attacks were not about economics as such. The perps definitely claimed to be acting as the "arm of Allah." They would certainly deny that they were attacking the west as the vanguard of pan-Arab anti mercantalism.

The point is this: 9-11 was motivated by religion, not politics. And we are not responsible for the belief-systems of murderers.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Strangecraft, I could not agree with you more.

I am glad to see that you are focusing on her content, not her background. As you said, one's means of making a living is -- or rather, should be -- irrelevant of their opinions, unless their profession is tied in with the subject of their opinions.

My opinions of laissez-faire capitalism and genetically-engineered foods are every bit as valid to me as my opinions of photovoltaics and hybrid energy systems. I think I might be taken a bit more seriously on the latter, since I was a systems engineer for a photovoltaics comapny for several years, while my economics and genetics are limited to two undergrad econ courses and a single organic chem course.

In other words, my pronouncements should be taken at face value, especially those for which I have no experience.

I think you'd agree that, if Ms. Gyllenhaal's opinions were reiterated by Herman P. Fnork, a hot-dog vendor in Secaucus, NJ, his views -- even if they were much better thought out and presented -- would not get one one-thousandth of the visibility that Ms. Gylenhaal's did, simply because she's a pretty actress -- and he's not.

And I think your analogy of the 911 as well-dressed rape victim "asking for it" is outstanding! I've always believed that collective guilt is a scam, and the only person responsible for your activities is you.

top topics

join