It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jirnov Vortex Engine!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
A new type of combustion engine, called the Jirnov Vortex Turbine(JVT) could start finding its way to the military, specifically the Navy in a few years. The Jirnov Vortex Turbine has a reported efficiency of up to 70%, this is due a modified Brighton cycle and a proprietary Isothermal compression technology, both give the engine about 30% more efficiency than a standard engine. Because of these technologies the turbine can operate at much slower RPMs and behave much like a tornado would.

The Navy plans to fund the development of a 125kW at a tune of a million dollars thanks inpart to great results for a previous 25kW model.

Hopefully in a few years we will see these in automobiles! I would think that an HEV with this type of engine would get incredible mileage! What do you think?

Courtesy: General Vortex Energy Inc. (GVE Inc)

Jirnov Vortex Engine!

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I'm taking an engineering course in thermodynamics, so I find this post quite interesting. (final's on Friday, ugh, hehe) 70% efficiency is freaking amazing. Most of the stuff I've studied is usually in the 30-something percentage efficiency range. Strangely, my textbook does not mention Brighton cycles (I thought it might be a phonetic misspelling of Brayton) but
I did a google search and Brighton cycles apparently exist, but I could only find a single relevant link, and it was to an academic paper whose text I could not read without a subscription.

I am skeptical about the 70% number, though. The ideas of heat recuperation and isothermal compression mentioned in the article are already used, and are quite old. Unless the 'isothermal compression technology' the article refers to is something new and revolutionary, I don't see how they can reach that kind of performance. "GVE Inc claims the JVT is 58 percent to 70" but I find even 58% hard to believe. If they've got some new really good insulators, maybe they could reach 58.

If this engine does work as claimed, it could potentially revolutionize the industry, especially if, as Sigma hopes, they can get these into cars. I'll be very interested to see where this thing goes in the future.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Actually, you are correct it's the Brayton Cycle. The name of the company that makes the engine is called General Vortex. Their website is www.generalvortex.com if your interested in seeing learning more.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DragonsDemesne

It occurs to me that hybrid drives offer the opportunity to incorperate any powerplant and that even fuel cells don't claim more than 50% efficiency. It would be nice to cut pollution by increasing the efficiency of the powerplant instead of cataletic converters and the like.
Jack

top topics

join