It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: US Prepares for Nuclear Standoff With North Korea

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The United States plan to seek the help of the UN to impose an international quarantine on North Korea in order to force the regime to abandon their nuclear weapons. North Korea has stated that if America continues to press the nuclear issue to the UN security council then it will regard the sanctions as a declaration of war.

news.independent.co.uk
The United States may soon seek a UN Security Council resolution to impose a virtual international quarantine on North Korea to pressure its regime to abandon its nuclear weapons ambitions.

Frustration with North Korea's refusal to return to six-nation talks and growing alarm at signs that the country may be preparing to conduct an underground test is giving momentum to hawkish members of the US administration who want the issue taken to the council as soon as possible.

There was a bellicose reaction last night from North Korea. A Foreign Ministry spokesman said: "If the United States wants so much to drag the nuclear issue to the UN Security Council, it may do so. But we want to make clear we will regard sanctions as a declaration of war."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

'...But we want to make clear we will regard sanctions as a declaration of war'

Not again.

Didn't George Bush learn about a year ago that when you justify a war on the simple means that a country has nuclear weapons and they don't, it is considered a war crime? Regardless, I can't believe this is happening once again. The US admitted today that the Iraqi insurgency has grown in the past few weeks. How are we going to ship soldiers to North Korea when we haven't completely stabilized Iraq?

Draft anyone?

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Since when does a "standoff" equate to a "draft anyone?"
You guys and the draft are beating a dead horse to death....can that actually be done?

seekerof

[edit on 26-4-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Two words
"Cold war"..thats all this will be

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Cold War
You're stating this as if it has no repercussions to our society. Economically a cold war is more devastating than an actual war. And if you think that Terror Alerts are senseless, imagine the effects of a Cold War on an already paranoid society.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
A Cold War probably wouldnt do alot of good for the US, probably would cost them alot of money.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I find it hard to imagine how so many people (in other threads) find this to be completely America's (Bush's?) fault! North Korea has been a loose cannon for much longer than Bush has been in office and sanctions against a country threatening nuclear war make sense.

The U.S. isn't "justifying a war with North Korea," North Korea is trying to blackmail the world in a giant nuclear shakedown. It may be easy these days to ride the anti-Bush bus, but Kim is a fascist psychopath that is just plain dangerous to South Koreans and the Japanese. Is it so hard to imagine that a foreign leader could be worse than Bush? Do you guys know what Putin is up to these days?

Zip

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Are these thread not the same, just worded a little diffrent?

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Starving them to death through UN sanctions 'aint the answer as their already starved to death. Perhap's the Israeli method will be considered?

Dallas

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
SpittinCobra
Well actually they deal with different aspects of a similar problem.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I agree with zipdot. You can call Bush and his administration war mongers, but that doesn't make N Korea's actions justifiable. The threat is most definitely there.

And no, I'm not advocating another war...but I don't see this being a simple diplomatic situation that will be easily dealt with either.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
If you say so, I read the same thing in both.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Zip--I feel both putin and Jong have been forced into a corner by the Bush administration's aggressive action and bellicose chest beating over the last 41/2 years. He did, so much as say, North Korea, you and Iran are next. And what was Putnin supposed to do--let The US have it's way in with the world, while he was having tough times with Cheneya and his economy. By the way Bush supported the Cheneyan fighters. Next time when he looks into Putnin's eyes he might see something besides his soul. For putnin to do nothing on the world scene, now, would be his political end.
So, now a new cold war, and it will break us all financially if not militarily.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   

zipdot: I find it hard to imagine how so many people (in other threads) find this to be completely America's (Bush's?) fault! North Korea has been a loose cannon for much longer than Bush has been in office and sanctions against a country threatening nuclear war make sense.

yes, and you are correct... it isn't Bushes fault... so whos fault is it? Actually it is Rumsfelds..... he sold them to them...
kinda convienant that we are using them as an excuse to harrass the crazy troll doll now... can you say HYPOCRITE much? (of course crazy Kim deserves it, but we set him up for a clear excuse)

IMPLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY: When asked to comment on NEWSWEEK INTERNATIONAL’s story concerning Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld’s role as a board director of ABB—the Zurich-based energy company that sold two light-water nuclear reactors to North Korea in 2000—Pentagon spokeswoman Victoria Clarke responded, “There was no vote on this issue and Secretary Rumsfeld does not recall [the sale of the reactors] being brought before the board at any time.” ABB has declined repeated requests to make board-meeting minutes available, but there is little doubt within ABB that its board members knew about the deal. In fact, ABB CEO Goran Lindahl visited North Korea himself in November 1999 to announce ABB’s “wide-ranging, long-term cooperation agreement” with the communist regime and announced the opening of an ABB office in Pyongyang. Board meetings attended by Rumsfeld were held before and after Lindahl’s visit to Pyongyang. ABB’s U.S. spokesman, Ronald Kurtz, notes that he would “find it hard to imagine how anyone on the board did not know about this deal—because of its political complexity.” And in the event that Rumsfeld simply nodded off to sleep every time the topic came up, ABB celebrated the deal with a January 2000 press release headlined: ABB TO DELIVER SYSTEMS, EQUIPMENT TO NORTH KOREAN NUCLEAR PLANTS. $200 MILLION IN ORDERS AWARDED UNDER MULTI-GOVERNMENT FRAMEWORK AGREEMENT. Surely even a board member totally uninterested in nukes—let alone Rumsfeld—would have read that.

source:smirking chimp

true dat...

know your enemy... and then sell him nukes..

[edit on 26-4-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Im sorry but i think the current US admin, needs to butt out and take care of us issues , not interfere in international affairs. Is the US such a perfect place, that there is no homelessness, more jobs than people, abundant housing, no improvements to be made with health or education? I say fix that first and leave korea the fock alone! Who made Bush god?

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
A particular circus theme song comes to mind................

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
So let me get this straight,
NK threatens war
NK refuses to join the 6 nations talk
NK says they have possesions of nuclear weapons against the will of the UN
NK threatens to conduct nuke tests
etc.

Then we have comments like this:

Didn't George Bush learn about a year ago that when you justify a war on the simple means that a country has nuclear weapons and they don't, it is considered a war crime?

Are you serious? Did you even read your own article?

Where does it say we're the ones threatening war? Where does it say anything besides we're trying to get them to talk or bring about a diplomatic solution?

It's amazing (frightening really) how people are so quick to blame Bush on single everything.

The article doesn't even mention Bush, but it does mention SK Foreign Minister Ban Ki Moon who was quoted if "North Korea takes such reckless actions as conducting a nuclear test, it will further deepen its isolation and take itself on a road where its future will not be guaranteed".

That's harsh right? So why no mention of that? Why isn't that considered warmongering from the South Koreans?

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Heres my take on the whole North Korean saga of late. We have a well known megalomaniacal psychopath in Kim Jong Ill and Bush made the decision to goad him into a corner. Bush labels his country in his Axis of Evil speech and has continually refered to his country in a derogatory manner.

This kind of treatment by Bush, whilst true in content, does nobody any good. You dont provoke mad men unless you are looking for a fight.

Now have a look at how doggedly the North Koreans are pushing for an apology by Ms Rice about the "outpost of tyranny" remark. Thats the sole reason why they say they are not rejoining the 6 nation talks. If War is the furthest thing from the Bush administrations collective mind then start acting with half a diplomatic clue. You dont settle disputes with name calling.

The Bush administration, if sincere in wanting a diplomatic solution, should suck it up and apologise/retract the "outpost of tyranny" remark and engage the North Koreans in dialogue.

If War or sanctions go ahead nukes will fly. Diplomacy and recognition for North Korea is the only avenue the World has to avert a nuclear war, regardless of how unsavoury the North Korean blackmail is. They are holding all the cards, Kim Jong Ill is quite literally a psycho - he will not think twice about launching their nukes.

[edit on 26/4/05 by subz]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Rice shouldn't have to apolagize for her remark...because its the truth.

North Korea is a lost cause, and will either be bombed into the ground, or implode in on itself, that regime cant survive.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
A particular circus theme song comes to mind................

Hmmm - Like the one at the end of Fellini's 8 1/2?

A child-like leader who doesn't have a clue what he wants and is left to wash up on his own, but surpasses all odds and leads the doped masses in a parade?

Certainly not THAT circus song?

Here we go again....

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I don't like President Bush. But I honestly don't have enough evidence to blame him for the situation with North Korea. Kim is an IDIOT.

I know that this is the "real world", and not a "perfect" one, but this is the exact reason why I despise politics. Kim IS a psycho. I think the world should be able to call him on it. If he doesn't like it, maybe he should change some of his policies. But since this isn't a perfect world, our world leaders have to use "tact" to talk to him like a little kid so he doesn't flip out and kill everyone? That's the real problem.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join