It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reputed Afghan Drug Lord Worked with Taliban, Prosecutors Claim

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Following a secret arrest over the weekend, a man by the name of Bashir Noorzai had his initial court appearance Monday in New York. The man is accused of being a partner with the Taliban regime in Afghanistan, trading them explosives, guns, muscle, and demolition services for their blessings regarding his opium poppy grow operations. This claim is in contrast to the widely held belief that the Taliban nearly eliminated the heroin trade for religious reasons. The DEA wouldn't disclose the details of Noorzai's arrest, but he is currently being held in New York.

abcnews.go.com
A reputed Afghan drug lord who officials accused of smuggling $50 million worth of heroin into the United States and operating his network with the protection of the Taliban is now in a New York jail.

Bashir Noorzai, who was on the U.S. list of most-wanted drug kingpins, was ordered held without bail at his initial court appearance Monday. If convicted, he could face a maximum sentence of life in prison.

An indictment alleges that between 1990 and 2004 Noorzai and his organization "provided demolitions, weapons and manpower to the Taliban," U.S. Attorney David Kelley said. "In exchange, the Taliban allowed Noorzai's business to flourish."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I gotta admit, this has me stumped. Is the prosecutor claiming the sky is not blue? Or were the Taliban simply oppurtunists and not the religious zealots they have been made out to be? It's not unthinkable that a regime would trade protection for services and goods, it happens all the time..what's strange is A.) the regime in question, and B.) the arrest was made in America, New York to be exact.

How many Afghan drug lords hang out in New York? If I was an Afghan drug lord, I'd be in Malta, or the South of France, or Morocco, or Monaco. This doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. The guy was on the DEA's most wanted list, he must have known he was a target...

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Of course, the evidence being used against him is likely classified, so neither we, nor the jury, will ever hear anything about it - the judge in the case probably won't even be allowed to see all the evidence. It's ludicrous, but it's the way of things lately. This is the sort of case that puts the Justice system to shame. I, for one, will be very surprised if this case is conducted in a professional and transparent fashion.

[edit on 29-4-2006 by asala]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Blast from the past!

I don't know any more about the situation than I did when I first posted.

Anyone else?

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
All I hear is crickets chirping...

Pretty sad when people just swallow the spoon without any sort of cognition at all, huh?

Thanks for finding this. No one else seems to care, or understand, but I appreciate it.

I don't even have anything to add. I didn't come up with any further info that was really relative at all. I guess this is another mystery being swept under the rug.

join