It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Support troops in combat roles - ''We are definitely playing a part that is not a normal Navy role

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   

www.boston.com...

At least 3,000 Navy and Air Force personnel such as Peters -- trained mainly in noncombat specialties such as mechanics and construction -- are serving on the front lines of the Iraqi insurgency. The Iraq war is the first military engagement in which such large numbers of air and naval personnel are serving in combat roles on the ground, facing imminent threat of attack.

This really angers me - most especially since these troops were not trained for combat roles.

Most of them have received only crash courses in basic combat, in some cases after they've arrived in the Middle East and then been stationed near the front lines because of shortages of troops in the Army and Marine Corps. Though technically defined as support units, their jobs -- guarding convoys and oil facilities, or defusing bombs under fire -- bear little resemblance to traditional ''noncombat" duty in the safety of a base.

''Airmen are driving trucks in Iraq because the Army didn't have enough of them," Brigadier General S. Taco Gilbert, the Air Force's deputy director for strategic planning, said in a recent interview. ''They're manning .50-caliber machine guns."

Some of the service members contend that they have not been provided with sufficient skills to protect themselves in combat situations.

Peters and his Air Force comrades were given five days of weapons training in Kuwait before taking up their posts guarding convoys in Iraq, according to three members of his unit, two of whom received the training with Peters. Normally, infantry receive a minimum of eight weeks of training in combat skills, with most receiving months more of special preparation to survive under dangerous conditions.

Are we really this desperate for warm bodies over there? If so, I don't feel it's not unreasonable to expect a draft in the short term - however I'm sure the usual suspects will be sure to remind us that the White House has said there will be no draft (as if the White House can really be looked upon as "truthful")

[edit on 26-4-2005 by negativenihil]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
this shows the need to train more noncombat personnel. they cant be safe forever. wat happens if the enemy attacks the base u expect they wont kill u even if u are unarmed?

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
this shows the need to train more noncombat personnel.

Yes, i agree - however as the article stated these support troops are given a 5 day training session with weapons.

that's a bit weak if you ask me, especially when compared with the 8 weeks of training normal combat troops receive. IMO it sounds as if these support troops are being thrown to the wolves.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

This really angers me - most especially since these troops were not trained for combat roles.

Last I checked ALL were trained in boot camp, and taught how to fire a weapon, etc. with the expectation that some day they may have to use one. Whether a front line GI or a payroll clerk, such training is continued throughout service. Being put in harm's way is part of the job.

The criticism of those planning the strategy though, IS valid. Such troops are to be used as an exception, not the rule.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Last I checked ALL were trained in boot camp, and taught how to fire a weapon, etc. with the expectation that some day they may have to use one. Whether a front line GI or a payroll clerk, such training is continued throughout service. Being put in harm's way is part of the job.

See, that's exactly what i thought as well, however it seems Brigadier General S. Taco Gilbert feels differently.

But if they have to set up a 5 day training program... in the feild?! Clearly these support troops aren't as well trained as we all assumed.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Wait, air force and navy personel in boot camps?
I know the marines are navy but actual sailors being in boot camp? Seems a bit odd..

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
I know the marines are navy but actual sailors being in boot camp? Seems a bit odd..

Actually, according to my brother who went 2 weeks ago, the "boot camp" is more of a refresher course for firearms training and also some baqsic urban warfare training (which is not provided in basic).
Yes sailors do also go to boot camp

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   

should remember Navy Seals are sailors.
they dont just go to just ordinary boot camp they go to Coronado, San Diego where Hell Week is the worst thing to enjoy.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   

All active and reserve military go thru boot camp(basic training). Some attend longer training than others, depending upon branch of service. Some attend combat training others don't, depending upon branch of service. There are so many different types of training, but they all depend on what service and what MOS or Rate a serviceman/servicewoman enters. ALL recieve "basic military firearm training".

Originally posted by deltaboy
should remember Navy Seals are sailors.
they dont just go to just ordinary boot camp they go to Coronado, San Diego where Hell Week is the worst thing to enjoy.

Yes, Navy Seals must complete basic training before training at Coronado. They can apply during basic training. But, you must complete an initial, rigorous physical fitness exam just to be consider for acceptance into training.

Any questions, just ask. Hope this helps.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Ah, americans call basic training boot camp....I thought that was just marines?
Hmm oh well...I know of the basic training bit just didnt know it was called "boot camp".

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Shooting a weapon at boot camp and then once a year (as the AF and Navy do) as a refresher is not enough training for someone to perform well in combat. Bottom line, it takes continious repetitive training...which the Chairforce, I meant Airforce and Navy do not have.

Yes, there are a few exceptions.

top topics

join