It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Mystery of 1,000 Exploding Toads

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 04:18 AM
link   
For reasons unknown to anyone, the toad population in Hamburg, Germany, is being wiped out by something that is causing the amphibians to swell up and explode, sending their entrails up to one meter into the air. An estimated 1000 toads have died in this gruesome way. According to one source, scientists are investigating a fungus that may have been spread to the toads by foreign race horses at a nearby track.

news.scotsman.com
An outbreak of exploding toads is perplexing the residents of Hamburg. The affected creatures seem to behave quite normally, croaking and languidly snapping up flies. Suddenly, after nightfall, they start to balloon to more than three times their normal size and can barely crawl before popping. Their entrails are expelled distances of up to one metre.

Thousands of the green amphibians have died this way. “It is a deeply shocking sight,” said Werner Smolnik, a leading activist from the Nabu environmental protection group.

A meeting of wildlife experts has been summoned to explain the phenomenon, which has occurred near a lake in a fashionable part of the city. Tabloid newspapers have already called it the “Pond of Death.”

Dogs and children have been warned away. The force of the explosions is impressive. “It’s like hitting a slightly rotten orange with a golf iron,” one Green activist explained yesterday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This surprising bit of news can be construed in myriad ways. Either it is some infection that will soon run it's course, or given Hebrew history, it might be a terrible sign of God's wrath, or perhaps even, these toads are the prototypes, conjured up by some mad scientist, for some terrifying strain of completely organic suicide bombers to be unleashed on the infidel world. What ever it is, I'm glad I'm not in Hamburg tonight.

Related News Links:
www.local6.com
www.taemag.com
www.timesonline.co.uk
www.keralanext.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 05/4/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

“It’s like hitting a slightly rotten orange with a golf iron,” one Green activist explained yesterday.

I dont care how enviromentally friendly you are that is Heaps funny

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
eewwwww that's just gross. poor toads. minding their own business and everything and then KA-BOOOOMMMMM.

eewwww

angie

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Interesting find...

I am reminded of the movie The Hulk, if you haven't seen it, there's an exploding frog - hence the connection. In that mediocre movie, the explosion was a result of out of control nano-devices trying to repair an incision.

My guess, given the fact that it happens at a set time (after nightfall); yeast/expanding gas. Perhaps something in their diet, or sodium concentrations? Maybe nasty little kids are feeding them alkaseltzer...

Wierd...

I personally see Amphibians as Ancestors to be revered and respected. It kills me to know that frogs are dying off so quickly all around the world, both because I have such admiration for their evolution, and because they are in many respects the canaries in our large, round, coal mine.

Very wierd, and unfortunate.

I hope they discover the source, be it wrathful Jehova or salt run-off from a condom factory.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
I personally see Amphibians as Ancestors to be revered and respected.

Dude, that's kinda freaky.

All hail the exploding frog gods of Hamburg. HAIL! *KERSPLAT!* HAIL! *KERSPLOOCH!*

xu

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
also there was a dialog in the movie "Red Planet" about frogs;

-Chantilas, there were frogs around when you were a kid, right?
-Lots.
-And then we killed them. Every last one. Now, since frogs breathe through their skins...they react to the toxins in the environment more rapidly. That should've been a warning. Don't you think?
-Your point?

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
perhaps terrorists were planning on using them later and they got away.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Mystery solved! It's a nasty plot by the French to corner the market on frog legs.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Sounds to me like the great and mysterious Tim the Enchanter is running around Hamburg unsupervised

We all laugh now...But just wait until WE start to swell three times our size and explode

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
HAhahahaa, oh man, that brings that movie fresh to mind!

"Don't touch it- it's eeevilll!"

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Send in the "Holy HAnd grenade of Antioch"!!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Maybe the fungus doesn't create the gas, but perforforations between their intestines and lungs, fistulae instead and after nightfall, getting noisy to attract that female toad, they "bark" themselves too death with the pressure normally guided to those sacks near the chin, now finding other ways inside their body?

[edit on 26-4-2005 by Silenus]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
OK, imagining exploding toads was bad enough, now we have to imagine them with intestinal fistulas?

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I dont care how enviromentally friendly you are that is Heaps funny

That is so cruel, how dare you poke fun......only kidding

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha that is one of the funniest things ive seen in ages.

Imagine standing watching a toad at a pond and it just blows up!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
This is now also happening in Denmark. The toads crawl up on land, swell up and explodes. Guts flying around. Nobody knows why this is happening. They usually explode between 2 and 3 am, in the middle of the night. Weird.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
this is very funny

anyone have a kid that is NOT ready for a pet but insist that they are? just give them a toad and let them try to explaine it.
j/k but it would make a great gag

seriously though what the heck could be causing this. alcaseltzer has been prety much busted for causeing animals to explode. and what would a spacific time have to do with it? that in it's self is an interesting thing. i mean like what changes at that time of day that could do this? is there any footage i haven't found showing this? that would give us at least an idea as to what is goin on.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Hitler's last great weapon has finally been unleashed! With the terror of exploding toads brings, the Fouth Reich is surely on its' way to reality. Damn, what a fiendish plot.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Other explanations are a virus or a new breed of aggressive crows. The birds have been seen attacking toads and one theory is that the toads swell up as a defence mechanism which then gets out of control. Alternatively, the toads could be committing suicide in order to protect the toad community as a whole. Attacks by crows have certainly diminished since the toads started to blow themselves up.

That sounds absurd to me. At some other point in time these toads would have been attacked by something or otherwise feel threatened, and would have blown up.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I almost didn't believe this story when I first saw it. Either way the concept of exploding toads isn't a plesant thought. But at least we don't have exploding humans yet. I best look for images on this.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
This is now also happening in Denmark. The toads crawl up on land, swell up and explodes. Guts flying around. Nobody knows why this is happening. They usually explode between 2 and 3 am, in the middle of the night. Weird.

You thought I was kidding, right? Or mistaken about the location? I´m not. I´m dead serious. There is a lake in the middle of Jutland (west in Denmark) where this is happening also now. Hamburg is not so incredibly far away from there. This "disease" or whatever it is, is apparently spreading. Even spreading to other countries. Alarm...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join