It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to end the religious right

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   
The Republican party in the USA has been hijacked by these people.
The religious right arent true consertives ?

This is why!
* Undermine the teaching of evolution and promote the teaching of creationism
* Criminalize abortion in as many cases as possible, if not in all cases
* Provide funding to religious groups that discriminate on the basis of religion
* Provide funding for religious and theological training, as with ministers or priests
* Establish prison rehabilitation programs that emphasize fundamentalist Christianity
* Have the government endorse the Ten Commandments
* Use government power to give a privileged status to Christianity and Christian beliefs
link

Remember true consertives dont impose there morals on society and keep the government out of peoples lives.

If you want to bring down the religious right vote for an athiest I urge all athiest to unity against a common enemy.
While I dont quite agree with everything that is said in the article below but there are still some valid points.

II. THE GAY COMMUNITY IS THE BEST MODEL FOR ATHEISTS TO FOLLOW IN THE QUEST FOR ELECTING SOME OF OUR OWN TO OFFICE.

The best model for Atheists to use, in terms of attempting to climb the political ladder, is the gay community. Gays and lesbians are the most similar to us in that the overwhelming prejudice and hatred they face stems from religious dogma. The gay community has mastered the art of raising large sums of money for their candidates. They have also achieved the discipline of supporting their own in contested election
source

Remember there can be no clearer message then voting athiests into office.

This topic gose beyond the republican party. Here in NZ I urge people do to there utmost to show your displeasure at the idea of the destine church holding power should you get any junkmail from them write a letter in return and tell them in a polite manner just what you think of the idea of them holding power.

Its interesting to note that the PM of NZ Helen Clark isnt an athiest but she has nothing to do with reglion. I reckon it would be a lot harder for an athiest to be voted into office in the USA then here in NZ. Mind you that could change if the religious right rears its ugly head in NZ.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Or round everyone up and ask 4 questions.

How old is the Earth
What shape is the Earth
Where is the Earth in the Universe
Is raping little boys ok as long as you are holy

If they answer any of those wrong, take them out back and shoot them. So any answer 6,000 years old, flat, center, or yes, shoot them and end our misery. This way you take out the ignoramuses from the planet and send them to somewhere else so the people who use science/reality/facts can live a happy life knowing they won't be fire bombed or shot or ran over anymore. So that civilization may advance greatly now that the people who call anything new satan and so it must be destroyed are gone. With those people gone, stem cell research cures just about everything, and the stuff it doesn't something else cures it. With them gone Africa will be saved for no one will tell them medicine is evil, GE food is playing god and evil, condoms evil, and so the extinction predicted by scientists will be adverted.(Due to the church about 90% if not more of the population of Africa will be gone in 20-30 years due to banning everything that would save the people by calling it evil, ie medicine, food, condoms, medical treatments, vaccines, so forth) And finally the democrats will take back America and we will leave this depression caused by the republicans, our troops over seas will be brought back home to defend America and not die in foreign nations for oil, no more tax cuts for the rich while tax rates go up for the poor.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
If they answer any of those wrong, take them out back and shoot them.

I hate to break this to you but in America even Fundies are allowed their beliefs. Let them express them all they wish, the American people are not as stupid as everyone likes to think.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Figured I'd just address the points made. As to the rest of the issue discussed in this thread, have fun

Originally posted by xpert11
The Republican party in the USA has been hijacked by these people.
The religious right arent true consertives ?

This is why!
* Undermine the teaching of evolution and promote the teaching of creationism

If by undermine you mean present other options, yep. We do promote the teaching of creationism and intelligent design along side evolution. There shouldn't be a monopoly on scientific theories, especially when neither can be proven false.

* Criminalize abortion in as many cases as possible, if not in all cases

Murder is bad.

* Provide funding to religious groups that discriminate on the basis of religion

So...The solution is to fun religious groups as long as they allow people who hate their religion to join in the fun? Or is it more along the lines of my aunt's theory. Everyone should be included in all religious functions, including choirs being held by churches, and none of that God stuff should be talked about in the churches (Mosques are OK in her book) because it makes the people who went to a church to join a choir feel uncomfortable.

* Provide funding for religious and theological training, as with ministers or priests

The other option is for the government to impose on people which kind of education they can recieve state aide in. Schools like Yale have a divinity program, but people who join that shouldn't get any funding to go to school?

* Establish prison rehabilitation programs that emphasize fundamentalist Christianity

Or anything that promotes someone to accept that they are not the law. Religion works, it's been shown to change the lives of people in ways no one would expect. It's also the only means which consistantly works as far as I'm aware. Is there another solution to rehab where the criminals will walk out not wanting to commit a crime?

* Have the government endorse the Ten Commandments

Our body of laws were founded on the Ten Commandments. Why does that need to be hidden from view now? Why do we have to deny our country's history?

* Use government power to give a privileged status to Christianity and Christian Beliefs

Say what now? Gonna have to beef that one out a little bit, because I'm not sure what you're talking about.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser

If they answer any of those wrong, take them out back and shoot them. So any answer 6,000 years old, flat, center, or yes, shoot them and end our misery. This way you take out the ignoramuses from the planet and send them to somewhere else so the people who use science/reality/facts can live a happy life knowing they won't be fire bombed or shot or ran over anymore. .

I don't think I agree with killing everyone who disagrees with me. But then, maybe I'm just a progressive

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   

If by undermine you mean present other options, yep. We do promote the teaching of creationism and intelligent design along side evolution. There shouldn't be a monopoly on scientific theories, especially when neither can be proven false.

Creationism has been debunked dinosaurs are older then the age of the earth stated in the bible.

Murder is bad.

This has been covered in other threads but it is a womens choice not the governments enough said.

So...The solution is to fun religious groups as long as they allow people who hate their religion to join in the fun? Or is it more along the lines of my aunt's theory. Everyone should be included in all religious functions, including choirs being held by churches, and none of that God stuff should be talked about in the churches (Mosques are OK in her book) because it makes the people who went to a church to join a choir feel uncomfortable.

Religious groups shouldnt get funding from the government full stop.

The other option is for the government to impose on people which kind of education they can recieve state aide in. Schools like Yale have a divinity program, but people who join that shouldn't get any funding to go to school?

Schools and reglion should remain seperate if a school wants to mix education and reglion thats fine but those schools shouldnt get government funding.

Or anything that promotes someone to accept that they are not the law. Religion works, it's been shown to change the lives of people in ways no one would expect. It's also the only means which consistantly works as far as I'm aware. Is there another solution to rehab where the criminals will walk out not wanting to commit a crime?

I think the reformed crimes would have mended there ways without reglion. One method I have heard of is crimes facing there victims face to face this method works for the likes of young people who got on the wrong track.

Say what now? Gonna have to beef that one out a little bit, because I'm not sure what you're talking about.

One example might be the recent case of the politicans in the US poking there nose in a right to life case.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Heres exactly why reglion and government dont belong togther.

Books by any gay author would have to go: Tennessee Williams, Truman Capote and Gore Vidal. Alice Walker's novel "The Color Purple" has lesbian characters.

Allen originally wanted to ban even some Shakespeare. After criticism, he narrowed his bill to exempt the classics, although he still can't define what a classic is. Also exempted now Alabama's public and college libraries.

Librarian Donna Schremser fears the "thought police," would be patrolling her shelves.

"And so the idea that we would have a pristine collection that represents one political view, one religioius view, that's not a library,'' says Schremser.
source

Would it be ok to ban books that contain republican charchters?
Would it be ok to ban books that contain charchters that arent fox news zombies?

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
You know better than posting something like this

[edit on 29-4-2005 by Amuk]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
*edited out quote* Amuk

Are you living in this century, or the dark ages?

[edit on 29-4-2005 by Amuk]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I think it's unfair to say that the Religious right fit into a tight little group like that. That would be much in the same category as some of the venom I see coming from that very group about liberals. It's simply too boiled down.

I think you are applying hate and anger that is simply not there in all, or even most, of that group.

Many of us can't stand the over taxation, government waste in the extreme (and I don't use that word lightly), and misrepresentation by the GOP towards it's own people.

They can't even do anything constructive with the border, because they are scared of media and attack groups reprisal.

new topics

top topics

join