It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Transportation Security Administration to Test New Security Technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The Transportation Security Administration announced Monday that it would be testing new technologies in an effort to combat terrorism. The technologies will include radio frequency identification, iris scanners, ultrasonic emitters, microwave sensors, a hand geometry reader, a video motion surveillance analysis system, and government-owned GPS-enabled cell phones for clam-diggers. These technologies will be put into place in June and the tests will continue through the summer and are intended to address the concern about terrorists who might deploy shoulder-fired missiles known as man-portable air-defense systems (MANPADS).

www.cnn.com
Clam diggers on the muddy flats near Boston's Logan International Airport in Massachusetts will be loaned GPS-equipped cell phones so they can alert authorities to suspicious activity -- just one of several ideas being tested this summer to protect airports from terrorists.

Five international airports will test new technology ranging from the cell phones to high-tech iris scanners, the Transportation Security Administration announced Monday.

The airports taking part in the pilot programs are Logan in Boston, JFK International Airport in New York, Denver International Airport in Colorado, Orlando International Airport in Florida and Utah's Salt Lake City International Airport.

The new tests constitute phase two of a plan to improve security around airport perimeters, which are of particular concern because of people could position themselves outside airports with shoulder-fired missiles, known as man-portable air defense systems (MANPADS).

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Some of this report sounds like something from Comedy Central, but I guess creativity counts in the war on terror, as our adversaries seem never to reach their creative limits. Certainly, clam-diggers with cell-phones tickles the funny bone, but if they are half as effective as the "Minutemen" who have manned our southern border, they may prove to be the most effective technology of all. Goodness knows, the very name MANPADS strikes terror in my heart.

Related News Links:
www.tsa.gov
usgovinfo.about.com
www.denverpost.com
www.thetimesonline.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
ATS: Ridge's Investments? Homeland Security Contractors
Massive Search of Airliners Underway
War on Terror? What Terror?

[edit on 05/4/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Sounds like a good thing to say you're going to do, even if you don't. I can't say I see any point to telling terrorists where your defensive systems are located unless you're hoping for a psychological edge.

join